PDA

View Full Version : Feed Cyclops-eeze? Poll

Delphinus
04-08-2005, 05:51 AM
Ok along the same lines as my mysis questions (see http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15761) I have some questions for those who regularly feed Cyclops-Eeze to your tank. Since there are multiple questions, I think if you can answer in a reply, rather than a me post two separate polls, would work better.

1. How often do you feed Cyclops-Eeze?

2. How much per feeding?

3. Do you feed other things in between "Non Cyclops" feedings? If so, what, and how often? (If you've answer this already then no need to answer again
:mrgreen: )

4. Oh and what KIND of Cyclops. Flake, freeze-dried, or frozen.

christyf5
04-08-2005, 06:05 AM
Hey Tony,

I feed a pinch of freeze dried
cyclopeeze flake every other day alternating with a pinch of formula 2.

I also feed frozen marine cuisine (small chunk) once or twice a week, if the chunk is too big (sometimes I'm bad for that) I feed that twice and sometimes supplement it with one of the flake foods.

Christy :)

Fish
04-08-2005, 06:14 AM
Actually I just recently received a product that I ordered off of ebay. It is sold under the name "reef Chili" and is a mixture of freeze dried cyclopeze, golden pearls, and three kinds of phytoplankton. I like this stuff way better than the frozen cyclopeze I was using before - it is a lot easier to measure and doesn't stink up your hands like the frozen stuff did. I measure out the powder then add a couple drops of vitamin suppliment, hopeing that it will absorb the vitamins as it rehydrates and then be super! nutritious. I feed every day with a turkey baster. Sometimes during the day and sometimes at night, depending on my schedule. I will also toss in a few flakes or pellets for the damsels but this stuff is touted as being a complete coral food for every type of coral, so... that's all I use.

- Chad

christyf5
04-08-2005, 06:19 AM
Hey thanks for the heads up on the reef chili, Chad. Looks interesting :biggrin:

Sorry Tony :razz:

Fish
04-08-2005, 06:25 AM
You bet, I haven't been using it long enough to comment on how well it works but here is a link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46308&item=4370275620&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

By the way, the seller seems like a really good guy to deal with. He contacted me later to say that shipping actually cost him $5 less than what I paid and he refunded the difference.
- Chad

Delphinus
04-08-2005, 01:32 PM
Cool tip. Don't worry about the thread hijack. I'll look into this stuff.

However. :exclaim:

Surely there are more than just Christy and me feeding Cyclops to their tanks? I really need to get a feel for the frequency in particular of feeding some foods. Please help me get a valid sampling of data. If you feed Cyclops, please let me know how much and how often. I'm very interested to see some empirical numbers here.

Doug
04-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Feed freeze dried Cyclop-eeze only when feeding corals. Fish grab what they want. I also used it to feed the mysid shrimp in the refugium/overflows, which in turn fed baby bangaii.

My fish hate the flakes and wont even look at it for some reason. :confused:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-08-2005, 01:52 PM
A whole bunch of us are waiting for some frozen Cyclopeeze to get into the LFS. Nobody seems to have any right now.

Anthony

muck
04-08-2005, 01:55 PM
hmm... this "Reef Chili" sounds interesting.
I may just have to try some... :mrgreen:

I fed my tank once with FD Cyclop-eeze and didn't really care for it.
It was messy, stinky and nothing really wanted to eat it... :rolleyes:

danny zubot
04-08-2005, 02:57 PM
As for the poll....I don't feed corals anything fancy. They get residuals from the frozen mysis and brine shrimp etc. Maybe I should try feeding them. :confused:

Willow
04-08-2005, 03:12 PM
i would feed frozen cyclopeze if you could find any. hell if im going to pay 50 bucks for it at big al's which seems to be the only place you can buy it for some reason.

4ptbuck
04-08-2005, 03:23 PM
I got frozen cyclops and as I said earlier...

For my feefing schedule, I have frozen Cyclops, Mysis, and Blood worms, all smashed together with a hammer in a big ziplock bag. The Cyclops I tried to smash fine, the others, I left in bigger chunks.

The frozen cyclops ( haven't tried anything else) has really added colour to all my fish, FW and SW. It is really noticeable in the red's of the fish. They are just so much brighter.

I had a problem when I first started feeing cyclops in my SW. I overfed! This lead to a cyano explosion that I am still fighting, partially due to the fact I am still feeding cyclops I think. Never had a problem in FW, cause all the small fish would just gorge themselves on it.

My 37g only need the tiny piece of cyclops. A little does go a long way.
What I have done is smashed a small amount into a ziplock with the other food mentioned above. In those big ziplock bags (1 gallon?) I probably only have about a 3" square piece of cyclops, along with a full pack of blood and mysis (the big flat slabs). The remainder of the cyclops I have frozen in RO in a plastic pitcher.

4pts...

Fish
04-08-2005, 03:54 PM

I sincerely hope this was a joke. I was under the understanding that you were wanting to know who fed, cyclopseze - what brand it was, how often, and what else you fed with it. If my response was a thread hijack I have no idea what you are looking for as an answer - sorry that I feed a different food along with my cyclopseze than you do :rolleyes: .

- Chad

saltcreep
04-08-2005, 03:59 PM
The freezer bars production run is almost complete. We are hoping to have them in stock and available for shipping to retail stores by next week.

Hopefully all interested people will be able to find them in your neck of the woods by next weekend.

christyf5
04-08-2005, 04:03 PM

I sincerely hope this was a joke. I was under the understanding that you were wanting to know who fed, cyclopseze - what brand it was, how often, and what else you fed with it. If my response was a thread hijack I have no idea what you are looking for as an answer - sorry that I feed a different food along with my cyclopseze than you do :rolleyes: .

- Chad

No Chad, the hijack reference was to me when I was thanking you for the info. I apologized to Tony for hijacking his thread in my post :wink: :biggrin:

Fish
04-08-2005, 04:09 PM
No Chad, the hijack reference was to me when I was thanking you for the info. I apologized to Tony for hijacking his thread in my post :wink: :biggrin:

Thanks Christy :smile: . I still don't see it though...
- Chad

christyf5
04-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Sorry Tony :razz:

Lets just go with this. Tony isn't like that anyways, he's too nice :razz:

OCDP
04-08-2005, 05:03 PM
I feed it once every two nights.. or once a night.. depends.

I only have one fish that eats it, which is the clown.. and the shrimps. I feed just a tiny pinch.

I feed my fish mysis, and my anemones silversides and cocktail shrimp. The clown and yellow watchman like the shrimp as well... usually feed it every 2-3 days.. sometimes 4 :rolleyes:

I use Freeze-dried... the clownfish love it... so do the shrimp. I like to keep feeding it as a snack or treat.. or until its time to be fed. It does stink, but it's by no means messy if you're doing things properly the first time :razz: Just breath on your index finger ( get it kind of moist ) and dab it on the stuff... it sticks on, then you just put your finger in the water.... haha no mess.

PeterW
04-08-2005, 06:13 PM
I use Liquidlife Marine Plankton which contains Cyclopeeze. I started afer speaking with Samw and reading his interesting thread that it would be good for Flowerpots.

If I remember correctly, J&L sells for $9.95.

Use it once a week. Been using it for two weeks. Flowerpots seems to like it and it polyps extend more at night.

Plan to supplement with weakly CoralPlankton. Generally feed combination of flakes and misys everyday.

Peter

Aquattro
04-08-2005, 06:19 PM
Tony, when it ws available, I fed frozen, two nights per week, but only as a food menat for the SPS. The corals seemed to really eat this stuff well.

I haen't been able to buy it lately though, but am anxiously waiting for it to come back to my LFS.

andestang
04-08-2005, 06:52 PM
Lets just go with this. Tony isn't like that anyways, he's too nice :razz:

Christy :) I'll agree with that.

I feed cyclops flake approx every 2'nd or 3'rd night. See excellent results with the coloring of my Clown's. I would like to try the frozen, but only comes in such a large block. I've seen it at Wai's for those who are looking for it. That "Reef Chili" that Chad mentioned sounds pretty good, might be worth a try.

christyf5
04-08-2005, 07:49 PM
I just bought some of the Reef Chili. I'll post my review when it arrives and I've had a chance to try it out :mrgreen:

Delphinus
04-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Thanks all to responded. Gives me a better feeling of what's going on out there. :mrgreen:

Chad I didn't want to come across as having stomped on you. (I wasn't trying to, honest.) As Christy explained already she had said "sorry (for the hijack)" and although she didn't actually SAY "for the hijack" that's what I understood and that's what I meant. And actually I meant "no problem" as in ... "no problemo mon!!! :mrgreen: " It's all good. Although yes I am particularly interested in the moment of the regimens people are using the one product for. The Reef Chili sounds interesting and I'll look into it, but I am in this case particularly trying to focus some data onto specifically Cyclops-eeze. In actual fact what I am trying to maybe look into here is whether there can be negative effects of overfeeding (notwithstanding the predictable effects on water quality, but perhaps more into the "what effects does having eaten too much Cyclops have on a fish's digestive system"?) In actual fact this is the same question I have on my mysis questions however in hindsight I realize I neglected to mention I am interested in the effects of exclusively freshwater mysis (I am becoming a little concerned that in boths cases, the exoskeletons may be hard to digest. Interesting, although I don't know if this is significant, in our context, both are FW species being fed to SW animals, and although I don't want to believe that there is significance there, there might be. I might never know but getting a feel for what people are doing will help focus on these types of questions.)

The responses in both threads have been very helpful, so I do thank everyone for their posts. :biggrin:

Fish
04-08-2005, 09:28 PM
Tony,
I got it bro :smile: . Sorry I was so touchy, I just thought that this thread seemed about the most hijack-free of any on the board :razz: . The reason that I switched over to fd cyclopseze is because I too have read posts about the frozen stuff contributing more to pollution than the fd. As for the fish, my damsles would eat both kinds of cyclopseze and I never noticed any i'll effects from it - might just be a damsel thing though.
ps - i started a thread on the stuff I use in product reviews.
Cheers,
- Chad

Willow
04-08-2005, 11:12 PM
hey just a stupid question but what exactly is cyclopeze? is it a type of animal or a concoction of stuff?

Delphinus
04-09-2005, 01:45 AM
Link for it at J&L .. http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/food.php?product_ID=fd-acycf030

I have turned around some very fussy eaters that were withering away and this stuff turned them onto food. It also very noticeably improved colouration of all my fish who would take to it. Even my tang will try (mostly in vain) to suck up as much as he can. They certainly do like it.

Willito
04-09-2005, 03:39 AM
Freeze-dried, once or twice a month, 1/4 teaspoon each time. I am not keen on this stuff anymore as it is too bouyant and nearly half goes to waste on the surface of the water(and eventually into the skimmer). Everyting I feed now, I shut down the return pump for half hour, this keeps most of it swirling in the the main tank for a little while.

G1GY
04-09-2005, 05:14 AM
Freeze-dried, once or twice a month, 1/4 teaspoon each time. I am not keen on this stuff anymore as it is too bouyant and nearly half goes to waste on the surface of the water(and eventually into the skimmer). Everyting I feed now, I shut down the return pump for half hour, this keeps most of it swirling in the the main tank for a little while.

Just let it re-hydrate in some ro water first and the problem is solved.

I feed frozen and my tank inhabitants love it!

It's crack for fish!!! :mrgreen:

Fish
04-09-2005, 07:14 AM
Ya, I shake it up with water and vitamins and let it soak for a half hour or so before adding it to the tank. None of it floats on the surface after that but it is nice because it doesn't really sink to the bottom either - spends a long time in the water column.

- Chad

Samw
04-10-2005, 09:16 AM
I use Liquidlife Marine Plankton which contains Cyclopeeze. I started afer speaking with Samw and reading his interesting thread that it would be good for Flowerpots.

If I remember correctly, J&L sells for $9.95.

Use it once a week. Been using it for two weeks. Flowerpots seems to like it and it polyps extend more at night.

Plan to supplement with weakly CoralPlankton. Generally feed combination of flakes and misys everyday.

Peter

Good luck with your flowerpot. Check out this link to see the progress of this guy's many flowerpots.

http://www.reefcraze.com/index.html