PDA

View Full Version : Feed mysis? Poll

Delphinus
04-08-2005, 05:04 AM
I have two questions for those who regularly feed mysis to your tank. Since there are two questions, I think if you can answer in a reply, rather than a me post two separate polls, would work better.

1. How often do you feed mysis?

2. How much per feeding?

3. Do you feed other things? If so, what, and how often?

Thank you

(I'm trying to get a feeling via empirical numbers for what people are doing with mysis .. I have been feeding mysis to my tanks on a daily basis, 1cm square cube that I prerinse off. All in all there must be approx. 20-25 individual mysids that go into the tank during each daily feeding. I've been doing this for years. However I'm starting to wonder about a few things. So for anyone who feed mysis, please take 1-2 minutes to answer my little "poll" .. thank you!)

mr_alberta
04-08-2005, 05:15 AM
I feed mysis. I get it in the slabs. I break off enough to last me a week and soak it in Selcon and Zoe. I usually feed my fish with tweezers and stop after they start losing interest. All in all, I feed about 10 - 15 pieces of mysis to the tank. I also only feed 2 to 3 times a week.

Delphinus
04-08-2005, 05:21 AM
Harvey do you feed other things in between?

(OK I'm going to go back and add a third question now.. oops)

mr_alberta
04-08-2005, 05:29 AM
Nope. Mysis and that's all. I do feed my BTA oyster though.

Aquattro
04-08-2005, 05:29 AM
I feed mysis once a week. I break off a chunk about 1/2" square, thaw it under tap water, then feed bit by bit until the fish lose interest. I usually have a tiny bit left in the strainer.
Every other day, I'll put a piece of nori about 2 x 4 on a clip for the tangs. The clowns eat it too.
In between I feed pellets and spirulina flake, sometimes some other meaty flake, I forget what it is.

BlkWolfe
04-08-2005, 05:30 AM
Feed it at least every second day (evenings before tank cleaning because of the freshwater tanks), soaked in selcon and garlic

About 10-15 peices for a two spot hogfish and purple tang

Nori in the tank at all times, various Omega One flakes during the day, and a few shots of live bbs every week

Edit...also chopped scallops and shrimp a couple times a week

Rikko
04-08-2005, 05:36 AM
My staple is PE mysis. I chop up a little block (say, 1cmx2cm on average) with a razor blade so nobody has a problem with it, then thaw with tank water and feed via turkey baster every time.
On occasion I feed rotifers to keep all the corals happy - those days I don't feed the fish though most of them are definitely getting some rotifers too. I do this maybe 2x/month.
About the same regularity, 2x/month, I feed freeze dried Cyclopeeze and only that. It's a little harder for the fish to grab (and no amount of soaking seems to make it sink) but I feed it since I hear so much good about it.
On very rare occasions I'll feed something like bloodworms or finely minced krill, but mysis are 95% of what goes in.
[Edit: And occasionally I drop in a pellet or two of Formula 1 pellets. That's as far as I will go with prepared crap]

I overfeed my overstocked tank and I underskim. I have a battle with hair algae that I'm finally winning (Willow, if I get that sea hare from you it'll be over in short order), but the corals are showing great expansion and growing like.. well.. like hair algae! :S

To answer your question a little more to what you're looking for, one mysis feeding for me usually consists of probably 15-20 shrimps, but minced. I don't rinse because it's too difficult to rinse it after being chopped, and too hard to chop after being rinsed. That's being distributed to:
1 yellow watchman goby
3 magnifica firefish
1 bicolor blenny
2 ocellaris clowns
1 mandarin dragonet (haven't seen him touch frozen to date)
1 pearly jawfish (he's still new, haven't seen him do anything yet)
2 pistol shrimps
3 blood/fire cleaner shrimps
2 scarlet cleaner shrimps
and 5 or 6 torch Euphyllia polyps.

Willow
04-08-2005, 07:10 AM
every other day i snap a cube size piece off soak it in garlic and zoecon and feed the fish with it a few times during the day. during the week i also alternate with feeding the lps thawed mysis or prime reef, usally the tang is grabbing whatever blows off the corals. i think i probably feed to much but the nitrates are ok, i just have to keep an eye on things.

EmilyB
04-08-2005, 07:15 AM
I feed mysis or homemade frozen food everyday thawed in tank water, then drained and zoe added). The 230g gets at least a 1" square. In addition, they are fed flake (OSI or Formula 1/2 combo) once a day, nori 1-2 times a day. Pellets once in a while.

And just for the other thread Tony, I never feed cyclopeeze. It totally went rancid here because nothing ate it.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-08-2005, 08:00 AM
For my tanks, I go through a 2.2lb pack of PE mysis every 1.5 months. For the Hikari mysis, I go through a 16oz pack every month. The seahorses love the large PE now that they're used to it & the twin spot gobies & jawfish prefer the smaller sized Hikari. Will be starting to use the smaller PE mysis from OA soon, so I'll try to convert the smaller fish over to that.

For the seahorses & small fish, I defrost some & feed all day. And I mean all day. They might get a small squirt every hour or two if I'm home.

For the big FO tank, they get an inch cube 2 or 3 times a day of the PE. As well as frzn blood worms (3 cubes a day) & BS (once every few days).

My fish love Mysis.

Anthony

Beverly
04-08-2005, 12:30 PM
I feed PE mysis to my tanks.

The 37g with a pair of ocellaris clowns and two cleaners gets fed once a day. Turn off the powerhead for about 3-4 mins and dump in enough for all four of them.

The 120g with 5 chromis gets fed twice a day. Don't turn of powerheads, but add the food (chopped into small pieces) bit by bit until they've all had some. Will soon be adding a coral beauty, if all goes well.

Doug
04-08-2005, 01:33 PM
I feed mysis at least every second day, about a half sq. inch also. Most times rinsed but sometimes not. I feed other frozen foods on the non mysis days. My 5 pyjama cardinals require it daily, not to mention everyone else eats some form of frozen.

I also feed both Marine flakes and spirolina flakes daily, for the tangs. My percs eat it also. I use Sprungs veggie sheets, but my two tangs are still to stupid to eat it, so the urchins do. :lol:

danny zubot
04-08-2005, 01:35 PM
I rotate between mysis and frozen brine shrimp as the staple in my tank. I feed the same sized block though because the fish will wat the same amount. With only two fish I feed:

a) .5 cm cube 5 times a week, whatever is left over the reef crew eats.
b) 1 cm cube of frozen....can't remember the name....red mixture, to my rbta and the fish eat the residual.
c) flake or pellets during the day on occasion

After my Girlfriend and I move in she will be the day time feeder of flake and I will feed mysis daily. Rbta will still get fed twice a week.

Bob I
04-08-2005, 02:06 PM
Frozen PE Mysis is my food of choice. I feed it daily as a small chunk that I let thaw. If the fish don't get it all my giant cleaner shrimp will get the rest. My second daily feeding is OSI Marine Flake. :mrgreen:

Manny
04-08-2005, 02:14 PM
I feed mysis at least every other day. I wrap mine in a piece of nori and between the yellow tang, watchman goby, and two clowns it gets eaten pretty quick. I also feed blood worms once in a while.

muck
04-08-2005, 02:16 PM
I usually thaw a cube of Hikari mysis in tank water add a few drops of selcon and feed that for a couple days in a row.
Sometimes I add a cube of Frozen brine shrimp just cause I have it left over from when I had convicts.
I also feed OSI marine flake a couple days a week.

I bought some Formula 1 and 2 pellets to try but my fish don't seem to be interested in them.

4ptbuck
04-08-2005, 03:18 PM
For my feefing schedule, I have frozen Cyclops, Mysis, and Blood worms, all smashed together with a hammer in a big ziplock bag. The Cyclops I tried to smash fine, the others, I left in bigger chunks.

My saltwater gets a small piece of cyclops, a piece of mysis and a piece of blood. The mysis and blood equate to a pea sized offering.

I don't thaw, but just dump frozen into my tanks. Is there an advantage to thawing the food first?

marie
04-08-2005, 11:48 PM
I feed mysis to all 3 tanks twice a day, about an 1" square(the whole days ration) split between them. I also feed nori, spirolina, and osi flake daily to the Angel and tang, fd cyclopeeze and osi flake twice a week to the other 2 tanks

mark
04-09-2005, 12:59 AM
Feed mysis daily along with mixed flake and a piece of nori for a purple tang and 2 clowns.

Mysis is slab form, broken up (in the ziplock with a back of a spoon) and use about what will fit in a 1.25ml (or a little less) measuring spoon loose, melted in a shot glass of tank water. Flake, a pinch (~0.63ml measuring spoon), nori pieces cut into 2-3" squares.

Used to soak the mysis in garlic but haven't done that in quite a while.

Reefhawk1
04-09-2005, 01:34 AM
I feed Mysis every other day and soak it in Vita chem supplement.

Stan

Cap'n
04-09-2005, 02:29 AM
PE mysis is principal food source, fed almost daily. A bit of Formula One flake and a sheet of nori at least every other day. Various packaged frozen foods one to two times per week (instead of mysis for variety).

Willito
04-09-2005, 03:32 AM
1- 2 times a week of PE mysis. The rest of the feedings are with Nori. This help keeps the water prestine.