PDA

View Full Version : poyp's being eaten?????

inspector
04-07-2005, 03:12 PM
Hi all,I got up this morning to find 3 out of my 5 colony yellow polyps had been eaten not a trace of them left on the rock?I have hermit crabs,snails,cleaner shrimp,peppermint shrimp,abalone,lawn mower blennie,rainsford goby,clown goby and two clon fish do any of these eat polyps.appreciate any advice thanks Paul

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Possibly the hermits. What type are they?

danny zubot
04-07-2005, 06:22 PM
Possibly your peppermint shrimp if the yellow polyps closely resemble aptaisa anemones.

shadowboy
04-07-2005, 08:01 PM
Sundial snails? they almost wiped a colony of my polyps...I fixed them though. They're sneaky little buggers, dont think they could have wiped out a colony overnight.

jws444
04-07-2005, 08:18 PM
As you can see in the various replies, it can be anything in your tank. My best guess are the inverts. Are you feeding them? If they are starving badly, they will turn on your softies for dinner. Maybe try feeding them small bits of raw table shrimp or scallop. I usually stick a small piece on the end of a pointed stick and offer it to them. They'll grab it and pull it off the stick and I repeat for the next invert. This way, I can make sure everyone eats and also keeps the tank clean.

inspector
04-07-2005, 11:45 PM
hi I have blue legged,scarlet and i think a zebra hermit it has black legs with white patch's and it's left claw is very large compared to the right claw.they all seem to be fed well,it could be the peppermint as the polyps do look alittle like apitasia.thanks for the replies Paul