PDA

View Full Version : All these auto-top offs...

Majestic_Aquariums
04-06-2005, 07:00 PM
I think the idea is great, and obviously so does everyone else. Feel free to call me stupid here if I am missing something. Why couldn't a person use the same type of float valve as inside of your toilet tank? Not the ones with the big arm and ball. They have WAY too much metal obviously. But, there is a type called FluidMaster. Take up way less space, are adjustable, and are 99% pvc, other than one stainless spring.
You would howver have to supply the sump from the side, and have your water elbow upwards into the unit.
I think they are under $20 bucks @ Home Depot
Would this not work? Lemme know what you think.

Murminator
04-06-2005, 08:06 PM
I don't have a sump or I would, I think it would goofy in a show tank, and wouldn't it have to be gravity feed with that type of float valve? I want to plumb it in to my AC filter.

christyf5
04-06-2005, 08:41 PM
I got one from a hydroponics shop. It said it was for horse/cow watering troughs on the box. Gets the job done and it was $11 :biggrin:

Christy :)

christyf5
04-06-2005, 08:42 PM
I got one from a hydroponics shop. It said it was for horse/cow watering troughs on the box. Almost the entire thing is PVC other than the cotter pin. Gets the job done and it was $11 :biggrin:

mr_alberta
04-07-2005, 12:55 AM
You can also pick up the all plastic float valves for humidifiers at Home Depot for $7. Way smaller than the toilet thingiemadoodads too.

kari
04-07-2005, 01:57 AM
I believe that is the one made by Little Giant. Princess Auto also sells it. All you need to do is ditch the brass cotter pin and replace it with an acrylic rod. Drill out the cotter pin hole to 1/4"dia for 3/16" rod. Might not be the same one though.

I got one from a hydroponics shop. It said it was for horse/cow watering troughs on the box. Gets the job done and it was $11 :biggrin:

christyf5
04-07-2005, 02:01 AM
Sounds like it, I think it had Little Giant written on the box. :biggrin:

BMW Rider
04-07-2005, 02:53 AM
I use one of the toilet valves for my RO water tub. I chose it because I felt it has a better shut off mechanism for the higher pressure comming to it. The humidifier valves are what I used for my top offs in the sumps, since those just gravity feed from a static water source. Less danger or concern of them leaking. The RO water being at line pressure has a greater potential to leak by and I don't need to waste my filters running water down the overflow into the drain

BCWolfen
04-07-2005, 02:54 AM
I think the idea is great, and obviously so does everyone else. Feel free to call me stupid here if I am missing something. Why couldn't a person use the same type of float valve as inside of your toilet tank? Not the ones with the big arm and ball. They have WAY too much metal obviously. But, there is a type called FluidMaster. Take up way less space, are adjustable, and are 99% pvc, other than one stainless spring.
You would howver have to supply the sump from the side, and have your water elbow upwards into the unit.
I think they are under $20 bucks @ Home Depot
Would this not work? Lemme know what you think.

Tried one. They all 'seal' shut using the pressure of your waterline on a rubber seal. Not enough pressure from a gravity fed or even powerhead to close it tight.

Majestic_Aquariums
04-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Hmmm. That makes sense when you think about it. For the purpose I need, I would have it plumbed into the sump directly, right off the water pressure of the house though. (for freshwater) The one that I have is about 2 1/2" in diameter, and 10" tall, so size isn't a prob.
For the marine however, you couldn't do that, unless you want to be mixing salt in the sump!
Thanks for the help-and not flaming me for such an idea!!