PDA

View Full Version : I Love R/O

Mikey B
04-06-2005, 03:37 AM
The brown hairy algae in my tank has been ****ing me off for weeks, so I decided to do a small water change (10%) with some Reverse Osmosis water I bought at a local water store for $3.50 per big blue jug (5 gallons).

Within a few hours the brown crap was disappearing. By morning it was virtually gone. Another water change the next day completely eliminated it.

Sure glad I finally listened to all the advice on water quality...the tank looks great.

What kinds of things do I need to add to the water now that I am using the very clean (stripped) water?

Thanks!!

Mike

Aquattro
04-06-2005, 03:43 AM
What kinds of things do I need to add to the water now that I am using the very clean (stripped) water?

Thanks!!

Mike

Salt. Nothing more.

robzilla
04-06-2005, 04:18 AM
i had the same problem but only with green algae. within 2days of topping up with r/o water, it was gone. then i went out and bought an r/o unit. you add up the 3.50/jug, the r/o unit will pay itself off fast.

Mikey B
04-06-2005, 04:29 AM
I thought R/O water had all the good "hard" stuff removed...stuff the corals need.

If salt is all I have to add, then I love this stuff even more now!

Thanks!!

Mike

Aquattro
04-06-2005, 04:31 AM
Salt puts all those hard things the corals need back in! Isn't this stuff great??

tomini
04-12-2005, 06:06 AM
my tank gets R/O premium water, and I still drink tap :smile:

meltdownaverted
04-12-2005, 08:06 PM
RO isn't totally pure. You have to get RO/DI to remove the last liittle bit of impurities in the water. Most bottled water is only RO, and I think this has been the major contributing factor to my year long algae problem(besides my overstocking).

OCDP
04-12-2005, 09:57 PM
well, just another story inspiring me to get off my lazy butt and spend some money on the water unit.

hair algae is my biggest problem... i want it gone! I can't keep up with it anymore, nor do I want to keep up with it in the first place!

does anyone have an old RO/DI unit layin around they would like to sell me? Tank is only 20g.... haha .. either that, or it's Aquasafecanada on eBay....

glad to hear your algae has vanished though!

Mikey B
04-13-2005, 02:26 AM
The stuff I have read on Wet Web Media says RO is the way to go for the tank, not RO/DI. Everyone has a different opinion.

Hey OCDP, you might want to try some RO water from a Water Store to confirm it solves your problem first. One water change and I was converted.

Mike

OCDP
04-13-2005, 06:24 PM
Hey Mike,

Good thinking... I should go get some RO from somewhere.... you can get RO from a lot of places so I'll just have to pick some up and do a nice big RO water change and see what happens.....