PDA

View Full Version : Rasing Salinity

BCReefer
11-13-2001, 05:24 PM
I, and I don't know how, lose salinity. I get large amounts of salt on the edges of the tank and on the top. I heard you can just drop it back into the water? For a FOWLR is 1.019 low? Some place I read that it is OK.

reefburnaby
11-13-2001, 08:45 PM
Hello Patrick,

1.021 to 1.025 is generally the accepted range. 1.019....I would not panic. The next time you do a water change, just add a bit more salt to your fresh salt water (i.e. 1.026 or something like that). OR add salt water (instead of freshwater) when you top-off your tank.

Salt cake that can get built up on the lights, tank and equipment can be placed back in the tank. Just make sure it isn't dirty.

Hope that helps.

- Victor.

[ 13 November 2001: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]

BCReefer
11-14-2001, 04:29 AM
How does everyone raise their salinity?

Thanks
Patrick

reefburnaby
11-14-2001, 04:55 AM
Hello,

It depends how quickly and by how much you want to raise your salinity. I usually just wait for the tank water to evaporate over a couple of days. When the tank water evaporates, the salinity increases.

If you want to increase the salinity by greater amounts and in a short amount of time, then just do a water change. The fresh salt water can have slightly higher salinity...but not too much (say no more than 1.030). If it is too high, than the calcium and magnesium in the fresh saltwater may precipitate out.

Hope that helps.

- Victor.

Troy F
11-14-2001, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't put the salt cake/creep back in the tank unless you can be sure it won't end up on your sessile creatures.