PDA

View Full Version : Gold's Address?

Psyire
04-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Hello,

I'm visiting Calgary and was wondering if anyone had the address to Gold's? I'm also wondering if Wai's or Ocean Aquarium are worth checking out? I'm after a couple bulkhead's, and wouldn't mind taking a look at the livestock. Please let me know, thanks a ton!

-Psyire

muck
04-05-2005, 02:18 PM
http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15610

:cool:

monza
04-05-2005, 06:05 PM
yes they are both worth checking out, both sell bulk heads Wai's has more in stock usually.

Dave

Snappy
04-07-2005, 03:07 AM
I am not a patient guy so I like to shop at a place where I can get what I want when I want and not wait how ever many weeks for some other place to bring it in cheaper if at all. Wai's may be a little more expensive over all but in my opinion he has the best selection, volume of stock and quality of live stock. I never leave there empty handed the way I sometimes do at other stores. For me it is always worth the trip.

G1GY
04-07-2005, 06:08 AM
Wai's may be a little more expensive over all but in my opinion he has the best selection, volume of stock and quality of live stock.

Just wondering where you get "a little more expensive " from?
Have the prices there been significantly lowered lately?
I do know that in many cases the prices there are as much as 3 times those of some other places in this city. This does not fit into the catagory of "a little more expensive " IMO.
I'd be willing to make a bet that you will not find the best price in town on anything there.

As for the livestock,

The corals do look to be of good quality and health. (Again at a premium cost.)
The fish are no better than those found at many other places in Calgary and again are priced waaaaaay higher than others.(3 times in many cases!)

Snappy
04-07-2005, 02:33 PM
Whatever. :rolleyes:
If I felt I wasn't getting what I paid for I wouldn't shop there. My time is more valuable to me than trying to save the odd dollar running from store to store and probably not even finding what I wanted. Wai's is also open on Thursday's which is often when I have time to shop. One thing that makes this world so great is we are all entitled to have and express our own opinions.(even if I am right :razz::razz:)
Greg

BMW Rider
04-07-2005, 03:22 PM
I too sometimes reluctantly accept paying the higher prices at Wai's to get something I want when I want it. I don't often have time to keep checking all the shops watching for a certain fish to be in stock. I also never seem to be able to get to Gold's fast enough when the shippments come in. Usually I end up looking at the leftovers after everyone else has beat me to it. I guess that is how Wai's stays in business with those prices, he has the selection in stock and available all the time. Probably gets a lot of impulse buyers too.

gbeef
04-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Wais is a nice place to shop except for there pricing. Daniel is a nice guy, but will take the opertunity to sell you stuff you dont need. Golds is a busy place, if your not there on a friday everything is sold that day. There isnt much selection left for the weekend i guess its because there pricing is so good. My opinion for calgary rates.

takphan
04-08-2005, 06:55 AM
it is very busy at Gold on a Friday
usually i visit Gold around 11AM and sometimes half has been sold :sad:

Tak

danny zubot
04-08-2005, 09:56 PM
Wai's needs to re-arrange the whole store IMO. Last time I was there I couldn't find any of the hardware that Danny said he had. Now that I'm aware of BA's price guarantee i'll be going there for all of my hardware needs. I agree that Wai's has premium coral selection and quality. I don't think his fish are any better than the rest of the LFS though as far as quality is concerned, maybe in selection though. If you trust BA's livestock they have had quite the selection lately.

Psyire
04-12-2005, 02:36 AM
Thanks for all the help guys.

I was able to check out Ocean Aquarium and Wai's. I was able to find one of the bulks I needed and check out the Livestock available. Thanks again,

-Psyire

Ryan
04-12-2005, 03:51 AM
Why not run to UFA for bulkheads? How did u like Wais i am planning a trip to calgary here soon and have decided to skip over BA for quality reasons and Golds because of lack of stock by the sounds of things. I dont want to pick ove leftovers. Was Wais a friendly place to visit?

Tarolisol
04-12-2005, 04:50 AM
Whenever ive gone into wais no one has said a word to me, he just sat behind his desk smoking. Theres prices arnt just high they are rediculus. Ive never bough one thing from them. Theres stuff i really liked but it would take me amonth of work to pay for it. Ill stick with golds may not have a huge selection but dennis is really nice and will always help you out. Plus his prices are bar none and he will still give you a deal.

AJ_77
04-12-2005, 05:14 AM
That's a little harsh. Danny can be a very friendly and sociable guy, once he sizes you up.

Just wear lots of money.

Psyire
04-12-2005, 07:36 AM
UFA has bulkheads?

G1GY
04-12-2005, 07:55 AM
That's a little harsh. Danny can be a very friendly and sociable guy, once he sizes you up.

Just wear lots of money.

I've always thought he was a ray of sunshine also. :lol:

medican
04-12-2005, 01:52 PM
I find Wai's to be the place for me. I have learned that if you want something you need to ask. Danny always has time for me (I think because I drop $$$ there... :razz: ) Last time I was in we were talking about him moving to a bigger and better location......this would be nice. Yes his livestock price is a little higher but I find he will stand behind it 100%. Never had a problem bringing things back. By the way thats who built my tank stand and sump. Very good quality and in the planning stage Danny had the patience of jobe and sat with me for many hours and phone calls.....poor guy.......the stand needed to be redone just a little and was done so at his cost. For me the little extra cost is worth the service I get.

If you want a deal......ASK.......he can only say no......but I dont think he will.

IMO........ :mrgreen:

Ryan
04-12-2005, 01:57 PM
I didnt mean my previouse post to be "harsh". I am 2 hours away so I wont be in Calgary long. Maybe ony a few hours. I have to base my visits on amount and quality of stock. Dennis may have good prices but how can I spend money there if he doesnt have anything I want right.

My UFA sells bulkheads.

danny zubot
04-12-2005, 03:16 PM
Danny can be a very friendly and sociable guy, once he sizes you up.
By that do you mean once he figures out the size of your wallet? :lol:

albert_dao
04-13-2005, 04:34 AM
!!!! I HEART HEART HEART DANNY!!!! OMG!

medican
04-13-2005, 12:56 PM
MMMMMMM...........

I have herd that if you subject GOLD to salt water long enough it will turn GREEN............... :mrgreen:

There always has to be one.............. :confused:

OCDP
04-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Haha ... I have been to Wai's twice, and I have bought two fish from him. I only bought them because no other LFS had them, and obviously... you'll never know when they will be in.

IMHO ... Wai's is not a good place to shop. Bad customer service, bad prices. Golds on the other hand, great customer service, great prices... and the downside to Golds... it's just simply a busy place... they make a ton of business.. and will continue to do so because of their awesome customer service and prices.

In all fairness, no bashing Wai... he does have stunning livestock. His corals definitely are premium... I would rather shop their for corals... not fish. Only because Golds hardly ever has any good corals in... unless your in on Friday.

Pro's and Con's of the local LFS'S!

G1GY
04-13-2005, 11:28 PM
MMMMMMM...........

I have herd that if you subject GOLD to salt water long enough it will turn GREEN............... :mrgreen:

:confused:

Are you sure your not talking about copper and brass? :question: