PDA

View Full Version : Sessile Ctenophore

Willow
04-04-2005, 05:58 PM
i picked up a piece of umbrella leather a while back. ive had some mixed success getting it to stay open, no biggy i thought leathers are weird and it happens. it seemed to be sliming up a lot me over the last little while until my dad pointed out to me that it didn’t look like slime but was contracting back and moving around in this complex looking string of webs.

i found this picture on google and its pretty much what i have

http://www.rshimek.com/images/Jan%2020/Ctenophore.jpg

i seem to have 2 or 3 of these attached to the underside of the leather. the body that the tenticles grows out of is very small, so small i almost couldn’t see it following the string back down.

so the question is this what’s causing my leather not to open? the little bit of reading i did on them suggests that they can pack a bit of a punch to whatever hits the tentacles. how would i get rid of these things? im not sure i could actually pick them off, would a dip of somekind work?

thanks

ABreefkpr
04-04-2005, 10:31 PM
I have see this on a leather before and almost by accident I knocked something that I thought looked like a fluke. I didn't get it all so those feather like appendages reappeared. I cleaned it one more time before a friend got the coral and now it is doing great. Was this thing the cause? I don't know but it couldn't have done any good IMO.

Keith

scotchy
04-05-2005, 12:45 AM
I have the very same thing coming out of a new finger leather. I thought it was from the leather now I'm gonna have to have a closer look.

Scott

scotchy
04-08-2005, 10:28 PM
Hey Willow. I just heard back from Wet Web Media on these things in our leathers. They are a stinging hydroid and he said the only way to get rid of them is manual removal. But be careful supposedly they pack a good punch. Gonna try mine tonite see how powerful they really are. (gotta know for sure right) I'ts posted on their site under the Q+A section.

Scott

Willow
04-08-2005, 10:51 PM
Hey Willow. I just heard back from Wet Web Media on these things in our leathers. They are a stinging hydroid and he said the only way to get rid of them is manual removal. But be careful supposedly they pack a good punch. Gonna try mine tonite see how powerful they really are. (gotta know for sure right) I'ts posted on their site under the Q+A section.

Scott

sweet thanks dude.