PDA

View Full Version : Pink Hawaiian cucumber warning

EmilyB
04-03-2005, 01:33 AM
The effects of the blendering of a pink hawaiian cucumber on a 230g tank -

I knew I should have taken it back when it climbed the glass. However, I had a very fine (maxijet screen) on the powerhead, and the cucumber was about 8" long, supposedly a lot like the black turd cuke.

There were two things that caught my eye when I first went to look at the tank today. A spot of pink on the powerhead intake and three missing anthias.

The first waterchange is done, and fresh carbon added. The Euro-reef is chugging.

All three bartletts anthias are dead and their bodies recovered. Obviously the most sensitive fish in the tank. :cry:

I'll be doing another large water change as soon as I can get enough water. Some things are sliming up and the anemone looks like hell.

All the rest of the fish appear fine. Thank God it wasn't a smaller tank.

Delphinus
04-03-2005, 01:46 AM
:cry: Sorry for your losses. Those were really cool fish. I hope no-one else succumbs. Good luck.

Samw
04-03-2005, 03:12 AM
All the rest of the fish appear fine. Thank God it wasn't a smaller tank.

Um, they better be. :evil: :smile:

Don't get any more cucumbers. :biggrin: You're playing with fire. :lol:

Glad the rest of the fish are fine and the rest of your tank is doing OK.

Marcus K
04-03-2005, 03:23 AM
Hope all goes well Deb. Sorry for your losses.

Marcus

EmilyB
04-03-2005, 03:23 AM
Thanks Tony.

Yah Sam, I been glued to Moo all day.

Should I get rid of the black one too? Sandsifting stars instead? I'll keep you all posted.

Tman1973
04-03-2005, 03:30 AM
Hey Deb

How are the rest of the fishies now?

Maybe you could get one of those sand dolloars from J&L.

Trev

christyf5
04-03-2005, 03:46 AM
Oh jeez Em, that sucks! :frown: I hope everything goes okay for you and the tank. Want one of my tigertails? They never get up on the glass, I hardly ever see them.

Christy :)

Samw
04-03-2005, 03:52 AM
Should I get rid of the black one too? Sandsifting stars instead? I'll keep you all posted.

I don't know Deb. Actually, for me, I don't keep cucumbers at all. I don't see the benefits outweighing the risks. Any reason for keeping a deep sandbed? I'm planning to reduce my sandbed to .75" down from 2 inch that it is now when I (one day) get my refugium setup.

Skimmerking
04-03-2005, 04:20 AM
thats what happend to my 8+ " black cuke it took the PH 1200 train. ANd i lost my 4 yr old Coral beauty, the cuke and a baby clown. lucky i got home from work and noticed it before i had a hockey game ,and it was the finals too. :evil: SO i took out what i could and sucked out the rest of the guts and prayed for the best and did a 25 gal water change to the 62 gal tank. and lots of carbon.

mike

the tank is doing great now and i will never own one again.
Hope everythign works out for ya Deb/.... :confused:

EmilyB
04-03-2005, 04:54 AM
I don't really have a dsb in there. Only reason there is as much sand as there is is mainly because we set the rock on eggcrate since we wanted to stack down the middle.

I never was a cucumber fan but I guess I got immune from seeing them in so many tanks.

Spiffy is listing and I am doing a tapwater change in the next hour.

muck
04-03-2005, 06:16 AM
Not what you want to hear... :frown:
Good to hear Moo is still around though.

Hows the shrimp in the tank?

EmilyB
04-03-2005, 09:25 AM
Shrimps are all fine...VERY busy, only fish get the toxic effect for the most part I guess.

Fish are very active swimming, but I have to sleep now.

Aquattro
04-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Want one of my tigertails? They never get up on the glass, I hardly ever see them.

Christy :)

My tigertail climbed the glass and crawled inside the powerhead. Go figure...

sumpfinfishe
04-03-2005, 10:37 AM
Sorry to hear the news Deb that really sucks, I hope the aftermath improves :sad:
A tapwater change :eek: , well anything even drastic measures have to be taken I guess. Don't forgoet about the dechlore :exclaim:
I hope all goes well for you and the reef :smile:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-03-2005, 04:22 PM
Hope the worst is over & your tank is on its way to recovery.

Anthony

EmilyB
04-03-2005, 06:43 PM
Happy to report all remaining residents alive and hungry. :biggrin:

Now to sit back and watch the cyano grow after the 50g tapwater change. :rolleyes: I did remember the dechlor Rich......good thing I still have that FW tank. :mrgreen:

Thanks all for your concern.

AJ_77
04-04-2005, 02:48 AM
I'm kinda surprised you slept at all... :eek: :shocked!: ... that's got to be nerve-wracking.

When do fish grow up and go away to school? :confused: