PDA

View Full Version : When can an Anenome be added?

Gools
04-02-2005, 02:23 AM
A friend of mine wants to add an anenome to his tank. it has just finished cycling. It has been setup for a month and a half. It was started with Live rock, and filter floss from my tank, to start cycling. He has 1 marine glow 20w, 1 powerglow 20w, 2- 65w power compacts, on a 50g tank. he wants to add an anenome, is it seafe yet? I have no experience with them, so any imput. Thanks

BMW Rider
04-02-2005, 02:43 AM
The common opinion seems to be not before a year. That allows the tank lots of time to mature and stabilize. Also allows the keeper to get into a routine with the tank maintenance and such. The second part will be dependant upon prior reef or saltwater experience. I would say that given the difficulty in keeping anemones successfully, that it is best not to rush getting one.

I added my anemone after only 10 months. By then my test results were very consistant and had been for months. I also had 6 previous years of experience with a FO tank. I had pretty much developed and refined my maintenance routines. It was hard to wait so long, but the anemone is doing great and has grown quite a bit. My old tomato clown is starting to check it out, hopefully soon she will actually host in it.

rickjames
04-02-2005, 02:43 AM
Nope, the tank is not even close to being ready for an anemone at 1.5 months. I think I pushed it when I put mine in after 9 months! Plus anemone's do best under MH lighting, certain species might survive under those power compacts, but I don't think any would do well. JMO.

Gools
04-02-2005, 02:48 AM
Thanks guys, Unfortunetly I have a feeling what ever I tell him will fall on deaf ears. He has no prior experience with saltwater tanks, but has kept fresh for years, and are beautyful. Anymore suggestions.

Willow
04-02-2005, 02:58 AM
he is going to need some better light than that for anemone's.

rickjames
04-02-2005, 03:53 AM
I have another suggestion for your friend, have him read this http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf and then see what he thinks.

Willow
04-02-2005, 04:49 AM
tell him to buy a long tentacle plate coral, the look like an anemone and clowns might even host in them. they are an lps so the should be fed periodically and they come in different colours.

http://www.ztechco.com/images/lt.JPG

Beermaster
04-02-2005, 05:01 AM
OMG thats gotta be the one of the nicest one i have seen, man i can wait till my tank is ready to that :)

Rikko
04-02-2005, 05:17 AM
If he's dead set on an anemone I'd try and steer him towards a bubble tip (Entacmaea quadricolor) as they're probably the hardiest I've encountered. They have very low light requirements compared to other anemones (at our other store we got a few from a customer because his kept splitting and growing out of control in his tank lit by NO fluorescents) - VHO or T5 will work fine for these guys. They also have less of a tendency to wander around and sting things and eat fish.
I don't necessarily agree with the "how old a tank needs to be" doctrine (I make it a point to argue any absolute number given in the hobby... How much water to change and how often is probably my biggest pet peeve), but if it's his first tank he should definitely hold off for the reasons BMW gave: he'll need to know exactly what he's doing. I've set up a couple of small displays and added an anemone only a few days later.. They always sulked for a day and then bounced back and settled in very well. I definitely wouldn't recommend that to a beginning reefer, but my point is simply that as long as you know what you're doing you can break a lot of "rules" that are in place to help the neophyte.

EmilyB
04-02-2005, 07:34 AM
Thanks guys, Unfortunetly I have a feeling what ever I tell him will fall on deaf ears. He has no prior experience with saltwater tanks, but has kept fresh for years, and are beautyful. Anymore suggestions.

Yes. :confused: Why would you you bother if he won't listen? FW and SW are not comparable.

BTW, it is spelled ANEMONE...that may help him search for info.

jws444
04-02-2005, 10:13 PM
I don't think any anemone would survive in a new tank from a new aquarist. (with not enough lighting to boot) He's probably in that 'buy buy buy' mode after watching Finding Nemo. lol. If he's dead set on buying an anemone, let him try out a condylactis (sp?) and see how long it lasts. They're cheap and abundant in nature. It's better than having him kill a blue carpet anemone that could've lived a long and happy life in the hands of a more experienced aquarist. It'll also save him 100 bucks. JMHO. :)

Gools
04-02-2005, 10:33 PM
I think I steared him away from buying one. But now he is going to go buy a couple of cleaner shrimp. But you are right he does want to, buy, buy, buy. he wants the finding nemo tank. with a hippo. And it's only a 50g tank. I keep telling him it's to much, he already has 7 fish in there. chromis's and percs. I figure he wants what he wants, nothing I can do but give him the best advice available. Thanks guys, and gals.

meltdownaverted
04-04-2005, 12:24 AM
I was one of those who bought a blue carpet after only a month. The only problem was lack of lighting. With a young tank it will need more frquent feedings, but is totally possible. BUT with those lights you might as well just buy one and whip it against a wall. It would be easier to handle than watching it slowly die. I have heard of people keeping anemones under NO's but you need a little more experience to do this. Do your researcha nd make an informed opinion. Many people have tried and failed at keeping an anemone under sub par lights.

rickjames
04-04-2005, 03:38 AM
With a young tank it will need more frquent feedings, but is totally possible.

Why would an anemone need more frequent feedings in a young tank? Wouldn't that just increase the bio-load for a barely established tank, maybe even causing a cycle of some sort?

danny zubot
04-04-2005, 03:29 PM
In my experience a newbie should be able to keep BTA's. Another easy anemone is the condalactus, they are cheep and require very little light. I kept both types under 100 watts of NO lighting and they were fine.