PDA

View Full Version : Rock

Nemo
04-01-2005, 11:27 PM
Ok I have a question I am in Hawaii right now and they have tons of dead sun bleached corals.
How would this work as rock for the tank?
Can it be added and then allowed to become live in the tank?
How long would it take to be live and have growth so it no longer looked white?
Does anyone know if there are any rules for bringing this into Canada?

If all the questions work in my favor I will be boxing some up and sending it VIA UPS. nothing like being able to hand pick what you want for the tank from thousands of choices

Robert

AJ_77
04-01-2005, 11:33 PM
I would think it takes several hundred years before coral skeletons are incorporated into live rock like we're used to seeing, maybe longer.

White coral skeletons like I used to keep in my FO tank years back make great green algae magnets, though. :biggrin: Tough to keep clean.

I just don't know that they would be of any benefit to your reef tank in the same sense that "real" LR is. Even the old dead corals that make up part of our LR is barely recognizable as such any more.

DEAD_BY_DAWN
04-01-2005, 11:53 PM
You might want to check into permits to bring it into canada to..

Rikko
04-02-2005, 12:48 AM
I'd bet money it's illegal to harvest and export that without a permit.. Probably not worth the bother.

DanG
04-02-2005, 03:43 AM
It's very very illegal to take rocks from the beaches in hawaii. We're talking fines in the thousands.

Aquattro
04-02-2005, 04:29 AM
I'd bet money it's illegal to harvest and export that without a permit.. Probably not worth the bother.

I don't think you can even get a permit for it!!

Willow
04-02-2005, 04:43 AM
are you talking about stuff from tourist shops or grabbing stuff off the beach?

Delphinus
04-02-2005, 05:12 AM
Coral skeletons, forget it, CITES won't allow it, but more importantly, Pele does not like her rocks (coral or lava) taken away from her. (I'm very serious BTW..) Leave them be. Take only photographs, leave only light footprints.

dirtyreefer
04-02-2005, 05:20 AM
Clink! :rolleyes:

Willow
04-02-2005, 05:21 AM
Take only photographs, leave only light footprints.

dang is that a hallmark moment or what :razz:

EmilyB
04-02-2005, 07:29 AM
Reminds me of a story my gynecologist told me....(well they make conversation around the issue...)

He told me I had a hex (HIC) on me. Okay...jump to later....

He told me about someone who brought back some lava rock from Hawaii, and three family members died that same year. I don't know what happened after that, cuz I never went back....

:lol: :mrgreen:

Nemo
04-02-2005, 07:35 AM
Ya they tell you over and over that the lava rock is never to be taken from the island, Pele will curse you. They say that 100's of people send the rocks back every year to get rid of the bad luck, but from what I hear this does not include the dead corals.

Robert

EmilyB
04-02-2005, 07:38 AM
So go ahead and let us know.... :mrgreen: :lol:

DEAD_BY_DAWN
04-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Reminds me of a story my gynecologist told me....(well they make conversation around the issue...)

He told me I had a hex (HIC) on me
Perhaps a topical cream might have helped..?