To my DIY Beckett

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/Quinster/MVC-005B.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/Quinster/MVC-009B.jpg

S-B
04-01-2005, 01:24 AM
now thats dry foam . :biggrin:

mr_alberta
04-01-2005, 04:04 AM
Looks good. What made you decide to switch?

Gujustud
04-01-2005, 05:24 AM
Looks good. What made you decide to switch?

Yup, and more importantly, did you notice a difference yet?

UnderWorldAquatics
04-01-2005, 07:00 AM
dont take this the wrong way, as I hope your skimmer works great for you, but a venturi skimmer setup properly is the most effectient, most effective style of skimmer you can have, all of the large wholesale operations and fish farms use them as they are far superior to any other style of foam fractioning.....

in a hobby sized skimmer such as yours, its not really a big deal to waste a few extra watts on such small scale pumps to power our tiny skimmers

IslandReefer
04-01-2005, 08:56 AM
Hey Quinn,
Could you please add a few details about the two set ups...ie ventura size, internal plumbing, pump and performance observations for both?
I was making my skimmer a beckett and recently decided to change to a 1.5in ventura......am I misguided?
Thanks
PS Whats the valve on the top of the skimmer box for?

Quinster
04-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Both injector methods were running on a MAG 18...the original Venturi is a Kent, and the new Beckett is a Canadian Tire knock off Wetlands Foam Jet. The options I was weighing was changing the Kent to a Mazzei, or for less money I could have ordered a pre made Beckett online...or less yet, try it myself! I went with the 3ird option...The foam is much drier, and alot darker, and the flow through the skimmer is much more significant.

UnderWorldAquatics - The total cost was about $40 for the upgrade so I think it was worth a try either way, but I am happy with it so far so that’s all that counts! And with a few twists I could change it back.

IslandReefer – The valve on the mixing box was supposed to be for the calcium reactor to drip into...I decided not to go that direction, and just drip it into the sump via a collection cup.

danny zubot
04-01-2005, 03:09 PM
dont take this the wrong way, as I hope your skimmer works great for you, but a venturi skimmer setup properly is the most effectient, most effective style of skimmer you can have,

Although I have a becket skimmer I tend to agree with this after seeing my friend's Euro reef in action. The pump difference is 1200 gph vs. 600 gph, thats a lot of wasted energy IMO. I've often contemplated changing mine to a ventury with a needle wheel pump but I'm not sure if it would work out.

Quinster
04-01-2005, 05:48 PM
like I said I was using the MAG 18 for both...so either way I am using the same power...the foam difference made it worth it in my opinion...unless if I had a better Venturi from the start...maybe I wouldn't have changed it.

danny zubot
04-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Sounds like an economical upgrade. Do you think an Needle wheel pump would work on these types of skimmers. IE: ocean runner series?

Skimmerking
04-01-2005, 07:10 PM
Well how about a postive note the quinster. Looks awesome buddy, Now how about helping me get a new sump .

mike

takphan
04-03-2005, 07:21 PM
like I said I was using the MAG 18 for both...so either way I am using the same power...the foam difference made it worth it in my opinion...unless if I had a better Venturi from the start...maybe I wouldn't have changed it.

look awesome Quinn :biggrin:

IMO, the satisfaction of DIY project is DIY.

Tak

Quinster
04-04-2005, 03:15 AM
danny zubot : don't know how a needle wheel pump would work on these types of skimmers...never had one running on this application...maybe someone could shed some light on this...

takphan : thanks for the comments...like to try if I can

danny zubot
04-04-2005, 02:26 PM
I think I might have to get my friend's needle wheel and try it out. I think there would be less adjusting to do if it did work.

mr_alberta
04-04-2005, 02:48 PM
Danny, are you going to use a needle wheel pump to drive a Beckett or are you going to add one as a recirculation pump on the skimmer?

I doubt it would drive a Beckett very well, and a recirculating pump on a beckett isn't really needed (though it should boost performance).

Quinster
05-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Tried another change...hooked up a 1 1/2" clear down tube now...looks cool, and bubbles seem to flow better and smaller.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/Quinster/MVC-007cF.jpg