PDA

View Full Version : Overflowed tonight

Saltysteve
03-30-2005, 05:07 AM
Holy smokes LOL
Can't believe it. Started to do some work on the tank tonight. Sat down 20 minutes later and heard the pump pulling in air. I thankfully jumped up right away to see what the heck and managed to unplug the pump just as the water started spilling over :eek:
I have no idea why :cry: All I did was reposition the pump and add a Phosguard baggy.
Tank has been running for 3 months fine, drain passage is clean. It's like the pump kicked into overdrive. I have never added phosguard before LOL
Could it be that this Seachem product allowed the pump to run stronger?????
I am baffled and worried LMAO
Help!

mr_alberta
03-30-2005, 05:20 AM
Where is the baggie of Phosguard placed? Could it be restricting the drain of the overflow?

Saltysteve
03-30-2005, 05:28 AM
That's the first thing I thought of but no. I tried to place it under the drain for maximum flow etc but the tube is 3 inches above the bottom of the sump tank :confused:

StirCrazy
03-30-2005, 03:09 PM
wouldn't be the phosguard, but was one of your overflows restricted from the work you were doing in the tank for a bit ?

Steve

Saltysteve
03-30-2005, 03:16 PM
No, nothing has changed :confused:
Re-checked it all this morning, had to leave it all unplugged lastnight, same thing, dang tank fills right up to the lip and I have to unplug the pump Grrrrrr LOL too weird. The pump has evolved :cool:
I may have to cut in a valve and open it up half way or something to match the drain. Could I do this without damaging the pump?

If it's possible, the removal of silicate within the impellor/area may have allowed the pump to increase RPM's??
It is the only thing that makes sense !

KrazyKuch
03-30-2005, 03:31 PM
On your return to your tank cut in a "T" fitting out of the "T" put a valve then pipe it back to your sump.....This will give you flow control without putting any excess pressure on the pump!!!

KrazyKuch
03-30-2005, 03:32 PM
If you want a pic I can draw one up and post it if you wish!

Saltysteve
03-30-2005, 03:39 PM
Thanks Krazy,
I understand what you're recommending, I like that, thanks.
Sure is hard not being able to trust the system :lol:

mr_alberta
03-30-2005, 04:09 PM
Maybe there is a buildup of air in the drain pipe so its not draining at its full capacity until all the air gets flushed out? Did you try plugging it in, waiting till it almost overflows, unplugging it, waiting for it to drain a little, then plugging it back in again, etc etc? That should eventually flush all of the air out of the system.

Saltysteve
03-31-2005, 04:46 AM
Checked and rechecked. Will have to install a T
Thanks for the reply!