PDA

View Full Version : Tank Meltdown

bear27
03-29-2005, 12:19 AM
Well I did a water change on sunday morning and after I was done my skimmer started spitting out straight water and it miro bubble city. So I figured no prob turned my skimmer down and figured the bubbles would go away. I get home from work today and it just as bad the tank loks cloudy everything is closed and my acros look to be bleaching. What is wrong!!!!

BCOrchidGuy
03-29-2005, 12:24 AM
Did you bring the water back up to the origional depth or did you add a bit more water than was there before. Also you may need to adjust your skimmer back or check your air control on it you may have bumped it open.

Doug

bear27
03-29-2005, 12:45 AM
Well the water level did come up a bit as I added some sand to my fuge so my salinity also came up from1.024 to 1.0255, as for bumping the skimmer I ckecked everything is where it was set before the water change

IslandReefer
03-29-2005, 11:30 AM
Hey Andy,
Are you sure its not the added sand that caused the cloudy water? and the skimmer thing just a coincidence?

danny zubot
03-29-2005, 03:57 PM
Do you use RO water or treated tap water? Some tap water conditioners really do a number on your skimmer. I'm not sure if micro bubbles can cause SPS to bleach, or if its something else.

bear27
03-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Well Im not sure whats going on, I am sure the tank is cloudy becouse of the bubbles you can see them very tiny little bubbles, but thats besides the point becouse just about everything in my tank is dead or dyeing, I dont think it is the bubbles per say but they are a sign that something in my tank changed I just cant fugure it out

This is a pic of one of my acros in the pic it looks like there is a bit of color but trust me its bone whiteand so is the one beside it
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/504/1131Picture_002-med.jpg

danny zubot
03-29-2005, 10:14 PM
Need more info about the past week or two of activity with your tank. As well as levels etc.

bear27
03-29-2005, 10:56 PM
Not much to tell everything was as normal running good, I missed the water change the week before this one but normaly do 5g per week. I marked the level in my sump drained 5g from the sump,then filled it with water I mixed up the day before to the same mark, added some sand to the fuge. I didnt change my routine at all I come home from work yesterday to a strong sea smell and tiny bubbles everywhere everything is closed and my acros are very light in color, come home from work today and bleached

I added to the name of the post. I think it appropreate

danny zubot
03-30-2005, 02:42 PM
Ok, so if all of your levels are good then I'm leaning towards the sand you added to the fuge. Was it new sand? Was it rinsed or did it cloud the water blocking light to the acros? I could be grasping at straws here but I'm just trying to learn aswell.

KrazyKuch
03-30-2005, 02:59 PM
Sounds to me like maybe you added some Chlorinated water.....Do you use R/O water or Tap water???, Did you rinse the sand with salt water, R/O water, or salt water???

marie
03-30-2005, 03:34 PM
Did you wash your water change buckets recently?

shadowboy
03-30-2005, 04:31 PM
How much sand did u add to the fuge? Was there existing sand there already? If you covered the old sand you might havd "suffacated" it and caused the organisms in it to die off. Just a thought, just a guess actually

tristan

Aquattro
03-30-2005, 05:14 PM
Check the alk of your new SW.

ve6djj
04-02-2005, 01:15 AM
not good to have a melt down my sailfin tang is not doing good in the new tank woried I starting a melt down too.... good luck David
http://s6.invisionfree.com/AlbertaAquatica/index.php?showtopic=1489