PDA

View Full Version : ...duh?...rookie question

Snappy
03-29-2005, 12:11 AM
In the tests I have done trying to figure out what the heck is going on in my tank the one I just can't seem to get my obviously limited brainpower around is the alkalinity. I have a test kit that only explains the waters carbonate hardness and I don't understand how to actually convert that to the alk. Some time ago I asked at Gold aquariums for an alk test kit and what I got is the KH test kit. I can't seem to find the info I am looking for to make the conversion or am I barking up the wrong tree here.
My parameters are as follows: PH-8.1, Calcium-480, KH-286.4 PPM(16dKH). As stated I don't understand how to convert that value to what the alk is or if I even can. I am worried my alk might be too high. Do I need a different tester?

Willow
03-29-2005, 12:29 AM
acording to my salifert guide 16 dkh is 5.71 alkalinity in meq/l

btw if your test is accurate your water is way outa wack, sea water is 8 dkh / 2.9 meq/l

marie
03-29-2005, 01:48 AM
I would blame the test kit because i don't think calcium would stay at 480 if your alk was actually that high

medican
03-29-2005, 02:10 AM
hey .....

Your test is giving you mg/L ??

Take the 286mg/L Divide by 17.85 = 16.02dKH
or

Take the 286mg/L divide by 50 = 5.72mEq/L x2.8 = 16.02dKH

the first one is the best, only one step (tripped on it one day while reading)
still the #'s are way out of wack 8-11dKH is what you want(or there abouts)
check the test..........check how you are doing it

good luck

AJ_77
03-29-2005, 02:31 AM
16 dKH is really high, you want between 8-12. Have you started a new bucket of salt and/or done some large water changes in the past 2 weeks? I agree that your Ca shouldn't be maintaining at 480 with that Alk reading.

I find these neon GSPs to be my Canary in the Coalmine, if params start to go wonky they're the first to show me...

HOLD it a minute - have you been using that Liquid Reactor stuff? :confused: Just curious.

Snappy
03-29-2005, 04:26 AM
Al,
By the neon GSP's are you refferring to the star polyps like the ones you gave me? If so I think my canary is not well.
Also, I have been using seachem powder as directed on the label and I do an approx 10% water change every week. Someone else told me to take the dKH and divide by 2 to get the alk reading, at least I think that is what he said. Should I add PH buffer to bring the alk down?

medican
03-29-2005, 05:21 AM
hey.....

dKH......mg/L=ppm.......mEq/L

these are all alk readings, its up to you witch one you like, pick one that your comfortable with and stick with it. most of your tests will read mg/L
use the coversion math I gave you up top.

dKH devide by 2.8 (not 2) will give you mEq/L

If you want to have your readings in mEq/L then take your mg/L devide by 50 to get your mEq/L

Its like changing C to F its still the same temp just different #'s
or lbs to kg still the same weight

hope this helps

Jason McK
03-29-2005, 12:35 PM
Your PH seems OK I would just stop any ALK dosing for now and monitor. I had a simmilar situation were my PH and CA stayed OK while my Alk went through the roof. If you wait it out and allow it to drop with regular water changes things should be OK

J

Snappy
03-29-2005, 03:13 PM
I'll try that.
Thanks,
Greg

danny zubot
03-29-2005, 03:54 PM
Alan said, I find these neon GSPs to be my Canary in the Coalmine, if params start to go wonky they're the first to show me...
I concur, mine were the first thing to suffer when my Alk and Ph were off.

Don't make the same mistakes I made by trying to buffer the heck out of your tank Greg, just do a couple of larger water changes first to see if you can stabilize your system. Buffering with additives are only temperary solutions, and your levels will often return to a chaotic state in a short time. This merely stresses corals out even more.

The mistakes I've made are here for your learning pleasure. :biggrin:

Snappy
04-04-2005, 02:44 AM
I have done 2 x 15% plus water changes in the last 4 days with no other chemical additions and my water parameters are the same as they were before except the Calcium is down to 440 but even after these changes my Alk is still 286 dkh. Bad salt bucket perhaps or will it take a lot of water changes?

AJ_77
04-04-2005, 02:50 AM
Could be a nasty bucket of salt... what are you mixing it up to, 1.025? Have you measured your freshly mixed water?

Willow
04-04-2005, 03:00 AM
see if you can borrow someones salifert kit so you can double check your readings.

danny zubot
04-04-2005, 02:32 PM
How is your Ph today?