PDA

View Full Version : green acro?

michika
03-28-2005, 03:00 PM
I woke up this morning to something I've never ever seen or heard of. One of my acro crabs had moved homes, and is now hanging out with my other acro crab on its home. So I have two acro crabs on one peice of acro, this is the strange part.

The strange part is that between last night at midnight this peice of acro looked its normal brown with violet/purple tips, this morning is green! What the? I think someone should tell it St. Patty's day has past...

Anyways anyone ever seen this? What do I do? Frag?

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2470 <---sorry I suck too bad on this computer to figure out how to post an actual image....sorry, just cut and paste please!

muck
03-28-2005, 03:02 PM
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/504/1371PICT0009-med.JPG

michika
03-28-2005, 03:04 PM
thanks Muck! you rock...

Any ideas on whats happening?

Parameters are all good in my tank, Ca is a bit low at 420ppm but thats okay everything else is looking good.

muck
03-28-2005, 03:08 PM
Does the green area still look alive? (still have tissue on it..)
Its hard to tell from the pic. :confused:

michika
03-28-2005, 03:11 PM
It looks like it, but at the same time it looks like the brown tissue and violet tips (which aren't violet today) pealed away. It almost seems like the brown tissue was the top layer and the green was the underneeth layer just prior to the skeleton.

I'm starting to think this second acro crab, the top one in the picture, is to blame. I'm trying to find out if he is actually an acro crab or just some snotty little wannabe who's causing damage to my corals.

mr_alberta
03-28-2005, 03:15 PM
I think that the green part is dead skeleton. That's just IMO though from looking at the picture.

muck
03-28-2005, 03:17 PM
I think that the green part is dead skeleton. That's just IMO though from looking at the picture.
Thats what I was thinking as well. :frown:
Im not sure if the crab is to blame or not, though.
You don't happen to have a pic of the little guy do you? maybe someone can tell you if its a good or bad type to have... :confused:

michika
03-28-2005, 03:20 PM
I can't get a decent picture.

The one that was pre-existing on the acro is smooth and his claws are a light peachy color. The new roommate is kiind of fuzzy with bright blue eyes (like the light blue in the reef crew ad).

Grrr, fragging my 2nd favorite coral was not on my to-do list for my day off...

Alright I guess I shall be making mini acro frags AGAIN! Think I should keep the base and see if it grows?
That other acro I had who had a bad run-in with a powerhead, is base is regrowing, slowly and awkwardly, but it is regrowing. So what do you think?

Frag? Keep or not keep the base?

mr_alberta
03-28-2005, 03:27 PM
I would frag and keep only the larger parts with tissue on them. If the acro lost all of that tissue overnight, then something is wrong and it could just keep spreading and lose the rest of the tissue.

michika
03-28-2005, 03:36 PM
Well you are right about the spreading, between those first pictures and about 2 minutes ago there is probably only 10% of its tissue left. I just fragged what I could and damn is it sad...

The pictures of the new frags look very green, but thats not the case in real life...http://www.canreef.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2471 And yet again I can't acutally post the image in thread...sorry I am going to learn how today...

muck
03-28-2005, 03:37 PM
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/504/1371PICT0001_1-med.JPG

michika
03-28-2005, 03:38 PM
How did you do it Muck? Help me!

muck
03-28-2005, 03:43 PM
How did you do it Muck? Help me!
sent you a pm.

michika
03-28-2005, 07:03 PM
Got that second acro crab off of whats left of my acro frag. He's so creepy his name is now Mr. Fugly.

Is he an acro crab?http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/506/1371PICT0014.JPG

muck
03-28-2005, 07:23 PM
Catherine,

Edit your post and delete the "?1684" off the end of the picture url.

michika
03-28-2005, 07:27 PM
I got it corrected in a new ID post...I figured it all out, its like html but with buttons!

Thanks though

Is Mr. Fugly an acro crab?http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/506/1371PICT0014.JPG

muck
03-28-2005, 07:36 PM
:cool:

michika
03-28-2005, 08:18 PM
New frags didn't make it, their brown color has also since peeled off.

At least I can now say I have one of those green frags I've been eyeing all the time at AI! I think I'm going to miss their bright violet tips!

:frown: :sad: :confused: :sad:

muck
03-28-2005, 08:40 PM
Sorry... :frown:

props
03-28-2005, 08:49 PM
sorry but i think the whole corals a goner.. the green frags looked like they have no tissue left.. just turned green due to aglae ..

michika
03-28-2005, 09:00 PM
I don't think its algea, I've turkey bastered it and nothing happens as far as color changes go. I don't think its algea

mr_alberta
03-28-2005, 09:20 PM
It is a type of algae similar to the hard green spots of algae you get on your tank glass from time to time.

BCOrchidGuy
03-28-2005, 09:34 PM
I'm wondering if it really is algae. You didn't mention that the tissue was dying over a few days if I read the post right. It sounds like the tissue died overnight so algae wouldn't have grown so fast. It's not coraline algae so I'm wondering what's going on. I'd send a PM to Wendell or Jack.

Doug

michika
03-29-2005, 02:10 AM
Its not algea, it doesn't feel like it, it doesn't blow off my acro if basted by the turkey baster or slighhtly scratched by my nails

sumpfinfishe
03-29-2005, 02:49 AM
Looks like RTN to me, did you have any major swings in the tank or in the bag on the way home from the store. SPS are rated a harder to keep coral not only because of there lighting and Calcium demands, but also because they do not tolerate shifts in water parameters too well. A Temp., Sal., PH, Ca, or Alk swing could have caused this coral to die, not to mention a change in lighting or water flow could have too.

BCOrchidGuy
03-29-2005, 03:33 AM
Rich I agree a rapid change in parameters may have been the culprit but that still doesn't explain the tissue loss and green colour just overnight. That is unusual. To the best of my limited knowledge of Acropora the skeleton should be white not green.

Doug

KrazyKuch
03-29-2005, 02:33 PM
We have had that acro for almost a month and tank perameters were the same in the morning as they were the night before....temp was the same aswell!!!

Jack
03-29-2005, 05:13 PM
You mounted dead acropora, sorry.

And that acro crab is harmful. Might of been the culprit.

KrazyKuch
03-29-2005, 06:05 PM
How is it dead it's green??

danny zubot
03-29-2005, 08:17 PM
Rich I agree a rapid change in parameters may have been the culprit but that still doesn't explain the tissue loss and green colour just overnight. That is unusual. To the best of my limited knowledge of Acropora the skeleton should be white not green.

All acros have a differnt colored skeleton than thier outer tissue. Rarely is this skeleton naturally white. The type of death that occures will determine weather you will see the actual color of the skeleton before it bleaches. In other words some die from the inside out and others from the outside in. I've had dead acros in my tank that didn't bleach for a week or so so I thought they were still alive until I finally examined them closely.