PDA

View Full Version : Trapping Shrimp

BCWolfen
03-28-2005, 05:17 AM
My fish are dumb.

So I built one of those fang-dangled pop bottle traps to try and catch my 2 Saron shrimp so I could move them to my sump. I weighted it with some crushed coral fired in some bloodworms and set it down on the bottom of the tank facing some of the rockwork.

Well within 10 minutes I find not only my sailfin mollie but also my lawnmower blenny thrashing around inside the trap. I'm glad I checked it instead of leaving it for the night. Now I'm too scared to put it back in.

Anyone have any suggestions of how I could catch the shrimp instead. lol

Chin_Lee
03-28-2005, 04:00 PM
try using the concept of the commercial fishermen - funnel entrance on a two liter bottle. Cut the top off the 2 liter, invert the top into the bottom piece, secure with zap strap. weigh the bottle down with rocks/gravel, put food inside the bottle. lay it on its side. Shrimps should be big enough to get into the hole but most fish won't however hermits and crabs can get in too.
try using those formula 2 marine pellets instead. they tend to hold and give off scent longer than bloodworms. mysis is good for giving off scent as well because of their fatty content.
give that a try and let us know how it works out. :biggrin:

marie
03-28-2005, 04:05 PM
maybe wait until the fish have gone to sleep before putting in the trap, quietly, without any lights on :lol:.

BCWolfen
03-29-2005, 01:29 AM
try using the concept of the commercial fishermen - funnel entrance on a two liter bottle. Cut the top off the 2 liter, invert the top into the bottom piece, secure with zap strap. weigh the bottle down with rocks/gravel, put food inside the bottle. lay it on its side. Shrimps should be big enough to get into the hole but most fish won't however hermits and crabs can get in too.
try using those formula 2 marine pellets instead. they tend to hold and give off scent longer than bloodworms. mysis is good for giving off scent as well because of their fatty content.
give that a try and let us know how it works out. :biggrin:

Ya thats exactly what I did, but both fish fit through the opening. lol
I'll keep experimenting.......

Snappy
03-29-2005, 10:57 PM
perhaps try putting a smaller funnel into the opening of the pop bottle funnel and it would only allow slimmer livestock inside. Like a tupperware type or something of that nature.