PDA

View Full Version : Tang in a 75?

snaggle
03-28-2005, 03:49 AM
I know the tang police might get me but what kind of tangs other then a yellow tang can I keep in my 75g tank. The dimensions are 48"x16"x24" it has a 20g sump but I am making a new system. It will have a 20g fuge a 29g sump and a 10g sump/fuge for cheto to grow in. As for fish I have two juvenile clowns a tomato and an ocellaris, 3 green chromis, a yellow dwarf angle and an engineer goby. The angle will be moving I think. As for corals I have GSP, PSP, Zoos, an open brain and a large hairy mushroom. There are also some mushrooms that pop up every now and then. I don’t know what kind of tang I can add if any so please help me. I am not looking to get flamed, I just think they are nice fish and my girl friend wants one too, that is why I am asking before hand.

Brad

Willow
03-28-2005, 04:02 AM
bristlemouth tangs like a kole are nice in cause they don't do a lot of speed swimming. also maybe a chervron or a purple.

EmilyB
03-28-2005, 04:40 AM
You are not crazy :lol: you just need to realize a tang or tangs means an upgrade in your future, or if you don't get attached to your fish, an adoptive home.

My YT (now 6) was in a 72 g for about a year until the pacing/charging - helped me understand the need for more room. She went to a 155g and now is in a 230g.

A small kole might be best.

Aquattro
03-28-2005, 06:05 AM
I have a yellow and a white cheek that I just put back in my 75, they appear to be content. I have lots of current and crevices for them to explore, so I'm hopeful they stay happy. Also, they both stopped growing years ago, and are about 4 inches without the tail. They share with a pair of clowns and 2 chromis.
I wouldn't recommend 2 in a 75, but 1 is certainly an option. Research species carefully, because some just won't work. Large nasos, sohals, clowns, etc, need a much larger tank, IMO.
Zebrasoma species should all be fine, and a fair amount of acantharus species are options.

Reefhawk1
03-28-2005, 06:22 AM
It all depends on the size of the tang you are getting. If it is a one inch baby tang it will take years to grow. The most hardy tang I have had yet is my Regal tang.

Stan

Bob I
03-28-2005, 03:35 PM
Now that I have a four foot tank, I too feel a Tang is in my near future. Like Brad says they appear to like lots of crevices to go in and out of. I once had a Regal in a 36" tank, but it grew fast and looked out of place. Now that I have a four foot, 20" wide 75, I too want to give another Regal a shot. :multi:

mark
03-28-2005, 04:52 PM
Have a Purple in my 75g for 2 years+. Not a lot of rock and it's stacked with lots of gaps.

Hindsight, maybe a YT might have been a better choice as would been higher contrast against the LR and stood out more.

Would like another tang but probably won't, concerns about compatibility in this size of tank.

snaggle
03-28-2005, 05:42 PM
Thanks for all the help. I think a tang is in my future. :mrgreen:

Brad

naesco
03-28-2005, 11:35 PM
IMOThe only tang that you can accommodate in a 75 is a kole which is not a swimmer.
The rest require larger tanks (6 feet in length) that give tangs the swimming room they need.

snaggle
03-29-2005, 04:27 AM
IMOThe only tang that you can accommodate in a 75 is a kole which is not a swimmer.
The rest require larger tanks (6 feet in length) that give tangs the swimming room they need.

So a Kole Tang is my best or only Option?

Brad

Doug
03-29-2005, 01:27 PM
Sorry to confuse things but I disagree with the Kole. I have one in my 170 and it loves swimming. Much more so than my yellow. If one must put a tang in a 75, then I would lean more to the yellow, purple tangs or the best, IMO< for a smaller tank, would be a Scopas tang. I also think the Scopas is a great looking tang.

Also FWIW, I would never put a Regal in a 75. At least not in adult size. They just get to large and love to swim.

Doug
04-04-2005, 10:58 PM
I would like to bring another point of view into this thread. One that I have thought about over the years and one that now, like Brad, effects myself and my tangs.

I,m also down sizing to a standard 4ft. 75g tank. I was planning on keeping my 5 pyjama cardinals, mandarin and 3 percs only. I have a young juvie yellow tang and my 2yr. old Kole, both of which I was going to find homes for.

Over the last 15yrs. or so, I have sold or traded away several very healthy tangs and a few other fish, because of moving, tank changes or what I thought may be better for them.

However many times they met their demise for what ever reasons. Thus did I do what was best for them? I have always given my fish extremely good care, perhaps to the extent of spoiling them. But thats how I care for my pets, all of them. So would a tang living in a smaller tank or in my case and Brads, two smaller tangs living in a 75, {with good care}, be worse of that being given away. Esp. when I have always believed in providing much more room for them and "preached" such. :smile:

For myself, if I was to keep them, I would have to give away my cardinals, which I was planning on trying to raise some young, as the 5 of them just adds to much bio-load with larger bodied fish like tangs.

Anywho, as I sit here and ponder this, I figured it would add another point into the never ending tank/tang size discussions. :smile:

AJ_77
04-04-2005, 11:08 PM
I have to agree with you Doug - and was just lamenting that fact to someone here the other day, that fish don't seem to last when I sell them off. I hear afterwards how they met their untimely demise... I hope that isn't a trend. Is it just that no one else is going to take the same care that you did? Or is moving just that stressful?

That being said, I'm shopping for a Convict Tang for my son's 75.

Doug
04-05-2005, 12:36 AM
None of mine were lost during or because of transit. I always tried to make sure their move was as comfortable as possible. I do agree that the stress on them from moving can cause problems.

It usually ended up being other reasons, even a fair bit after they were established. And it was not all of them, as I do know of one or two that are still fine and healthy.

Troy F
04-05-2005, 03:23 AM
Well I haven't posted in an awful long time but this subject has always interested me. I was always one to say surgeons and tangs probably belonged in the larger tanks or in the ocean. I recently snorkled in a marine sanctuary in Hawaii and was blown away by how much area they covered (including yellows and koles/yellow-eyed). None of the species moved all that quick unless there was a need to (such as me trying to get close enough for a snap shot). Some, like the Naso lituratus, moved out of my way almost grudgingly and I was careful not to let the current push me to close because I'll tell you, those tail scalpels on a 20" fish are awfully big!

Here's my take as far as aquariums are concerned; you can't hope to provide a home anything close to their natural environment but that goes for all of the species you keep really so why stop at the tangs and surgeons? If you like them, try to pick one that won't completely outgrow your tank. My experience was that my yellow got really agitated in my 75gal but who knows, he could have been ****ed about the water parameters.

Delphinus
04-05-2005, 04:16 AM
Troy!! Nice to hear from you!! :cool:

Aquattro
04-05-2005, 06:18 AM
Troy!! Nice to hear from you!! :cool:

Troy who?? Oh, him!! The guy who hasn't posted in a year or so!! :biggrin:

Got a new tank in the works yet??

BCOrchidGuy
04-05-2005, 06:26 AM
I had a nice Sailfin in a standard 90 and I never saw any signs of the tank being to small for it. I wouldn't put a school of tangs in a 4 foot but I'd keep another sailfin. My current tank (setting up) is a 54 gallon corner and I know I won't be putting a tang in there I'm aiming at a pair of saddlebacks, maybe a goby/pistol shrimp and something else small. The rest of the tank inhabitants will be snails, shrimp and corals.

Doug

StirCrazy
04-05-2005, 12:40 PM
I used to have a sail fin and my yellow, but I decided one of them has to go. Because the sailfin is a larger tang (and I don't think they should be in anything under 155 gal) I got rid of that one. It was quickly out growing the yellow tang even at that point.

Steve

Doug
04-05-2005, 01:33 PM
I agree with Steve, that Sailfins get awful large for smaller tanks. I had one in my 70 in Thompson many years ago. It was sold to a 320g tank outside Winnipeg. The Sailfin I once had here in my 180 was given to Jayson when I last changed tanks and rules his 300 plus gals. despite the presence of other tangs.

And if I may add, I am still not a fan of purchasing any but the smallest of tangs to put in a 75g sized tank, if any at all. I once did that but seen how they outgrew their homes.

Perhaps I had just better keep my 170, so they have a good home. :smile:

Hi Troy :mrgreen: Nice to hear from you again. Same question as Brad. New tank in the works yet? :smile:

Troy F
04-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Howdy guys. I am thinking of another tank but am not sure where to put one or who'll pay for it ;) . Seriously though I'm going to start budgeting for one.

BCOrchidGuy
04-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Pay for it?? let Visa pay for it... but really yeah I hear you, budgeting for a reef. Reef tank or food.. reef tank or electricity.. Oh yeah I need that.. Okay reef tank or phone... reef tank or razor.. hey yeah I could grow a beard... and I don't need deodorant I'm a bus driver.. and.. tooth paste? hey I've got a good dental plan they'll pay for dentures... I'm making my own rock Troy if you want some of the white concrete to make some yourself let me know I've got lots left over.

Doug

StirCrazy
04-06-2005, 12:46 AM
Pay for it?? let Visa pay for it...

Doug

that works good untill they want the money back :rolleyes:

Steve

Troy F
04-06-2005, 01:26 AM
Thanks Doug, appreciate the offer. I doubt I'll need to go that route, I intend to buy a fairly small tank this time around. Funny thing, I have way more room in the new house and yet I don't really have room for a tank...go figure.

Doug
04-06-2005, 02:20 PM
Howdy guys. I am thinking of another tank but am not sure where to put one or who'll pay for it ;) . Seriously though I'm going to start budgeting for one.

:biggrin: