PDA

View Full Version : Frag Glue

TommDool
03-27-2005, 05:27 PM
I'm having a problem with my finger Leather Coral staying attached to rubble, I had him on a piece that I elastic to a big rock. THe Elastic broke and it fell and came off the rubble again. What glue can I put in the tank that will be save, and able to glue it under water (Krazy Glue?). I want to attach the frag right to the main Liverock and screw the rubble. What is the best thing to do to make a softy attach. I have it elastic by its edge to a rock now, but not sure if it will work.

Thanks

Nemo
03-27-2005, 05:30 PM
I have a tough time getting elastics to work as well, but I think it is the best way. I am not a big fan of adding chemicals to the tank and any glue or epoxy will add some until it cures

JMO

Robert

TommDool
03-27-2005, 05:32 PM
The problem attaching it to a big rock is the elastic will need to be big, and ugly. Was really thinking of the glue and netting trick, but not sure about using glue or what glue will work underwater.

Nemo
03-27-2005, 05:35 PM
If you want to use glue OA has a glue and an epoxy that they use on the frags they make.
http://www.oceanaquatics.com/view_product.php?product=SA-TLAS3B

that is a link to the epoxy not sure about the glue

Aquattro
03-27-2005, 05:38 PM
To attach softies, try a needle and thread. Run a line thru it's base, and tie it in place.
Or glue works, but softies, since they're, well, soft, can change size and glue isn't a great tool for attaching them.

TommDool
03-27-2005, 05:43 PM
To attach softies, try a needle and thread. Run a line thru it's base, and tie it in place.
Or glue works, but softies, since they're, well, soft, can change size and glue isn't a great tool for attaching them.

Hmm... Needle and thread sounds like it would work. Must try that if it falls again. If not, being on the Island, is there any glue I can use from Canadian Tire or a hardware store?

chwkreefer
03-27-2005, 06:09 PM

Hmm... Needle and thread sounds like it would work. Must try that if it falls again. If not, being on the Island, is there any glue I can use from Canadian Tire or a hardware store?

Canadian Tire sells the small tubes of superglue that work very well for attaching frags. Basically any glue with cyanoacrylate will work. The gels are better. Actually CT sold a tube that is by mastercraft and I used that one all the time.

That being said, glues don't work well with soft corals like leathers and colts. Like Brad said , use a needle and thread because the softies will inflate and deflate and in short order will detach from the glue and rock.

I use light fishing line and run that through the coral with a needle and tie it off. Depending on how soft the tissue is, be careful how tight you tie the coral off and sometimes you need to make multiple passes with the needle and line through the coral to insure that the coral will stay secured in place.

TommDool
03-27-2005, 10:01 PM
Great! Thanks for the help everyone.

sumpfinfishe
03-29-2005, 03:03 AM
You shouldn't use glue on a softie as the coral will simply let go as it secretes mucus, or worse die's from an infection brought on by the glue. Fragging softies is a bit more work than glueing a stoney coral such as LPS/SPS.
Try the method that Brad suggested, it works very well. You could also use a sharp toothpick to achor it down at the base by piercing the leather onto a small piece of rock. Another method that works well is to wrap some netting over the softie and the rock and wait a week or to for the base to attach. Frag glue or gel works best on hard stoney corals.

lil_clownfish13
04-11-2005, 03:30 AM
whats the best way to frag/glue zoos?

kuatto
04-11-2005, 04:12 AM
If the rock is thin enough just crack it into peices with a chisel.You can also take an exacto knife and try to work it under the zoo mat untill you lift off the zoos you want(real tricky)and last you could just lay the zoos next to another bare rock and let them spread(can take awhile).You can just glue the underside of the zoo matt with crazy glue gel to a rock,making sure not to get any glue on the zoo mouth.
Zoos are a pain if you do lots :rolleyes:

kuatto
04-11-2005, 04:33 AM
Tina,where did you get those yellow zoos..hmm..might have to talk to ya about those!! :mrgreen:

Edmonton Eskimo
04-11-2005, 05:26 AM
silly Jim that's a sun coral :mrgreen:

kuatto
04-11-2005, 05:30 AM
Darn!here I thought it was a zoo,just an old suncoral....oh well. :mrgreen: