PDA

View Full Version : Blood sucking parasites aside.....

Aquattro
03-27-2005, 02:54 AM
...Here is my tank with my remaining livestock transferred over...

hopefully there are no more i-pods in there!!

http://www.islandreef.ca/post/easter05.jpg

AJ_77
03-27-2005, 04:54 AM
Looking just fine, Brad. :cool:

Hope this is truly a fresh start for you.

sumpfinfishe
03-27-2005, 05:23 AM
Wow someone didn't waste anytime fill'n r'up did they :biggrin:
Looks great Brad, and my prayers go out to the reef god's too!
I'm also pretty sure that you could fit a few more picnic table parts in there as well :razz: :mrgreen:

megatron_55
03-27-2005, 05:23 AM
isopods. . . are those the little copepod looking things that bite?? I got bitten by one of those things 3 days ago and I started bleeding (sCaReD tHe HeCk OuTtA mE :eek: ) . . . are they bad for your tank?? It was in my fuge . . . if they are bad . . how do I get rid off them?? Thanks

Aquattro
03-27-2005, 06:04 AM
isopods. . . are those the little copepod looking things that bite??

That would be them. They're flat pill bug shaped things that swim prety fast. I've caught a few with a piece of fish as bait in a tall skinny vase. A glass pop bottle would work too. You need to get them at night, remove the trap quickly, but be careful putting your thumb over the opening!! :razz:

Aquattro
03-27-2005, 06:07 AM
Alan/Rich, thanks. It seems kinda barren in there now, but hopefully by end of summer it will resemble the old tank. I had a few acros left and a large poci to move over. Most o fthe hydnophora went to the LFS.

Overall I'm happy with it so far, other than temp being an issue. I haven't hooked up th echiller yet, and was hoping to not have to, but it seems I may need more than fans. Temp hit 90 by the end of the day today, but no fans are in yet.

sumpfinfishe
03-27-2005, 07:08 AM
90 :eek:
what the ell, you buy those grow op bulbs by mistake :razz:
sounds like that chiller was a good investment!

ps-how's Mr. whitecheeks doing :question:

Aquattro
03-27-2005, 07:10 AM
Rich, problem is the chiller is a bit loud for the livingroom, and if fans will cool the tank, I'll go that route instead.

sumpfinfishe
03-27-2005, 07:13 AM
Yet but it's not even summer yet, I thought a chiller would be quiter than a whole bunch of fans :question:

Aquattro
03-27-2005, 07:24 AM
Rich, the chiller is actually pretty loud compared to the fans. You're right though, summer isn't here yet, but I still have some tweaking to do. I havne't put my regualr heater in, so the one I'm using might be a bit whacked. We'll see...I prefer not to use the chiller, but I may not have a choice, other than downgrading the lighting (ya, right :biggrin: )

Jack
03-27-2005, 07:34 AM
Nice start!

What bulbs are you running? And are you staying bare bottom?

Aquattro
03-27-2005, 07:57 AM
Nice start!

What bulbs are you running? And are you staying bare bottom?

Running 2 x 400w radiums, and my wife says no, we're not staying bare bottom :razz:
I bought some coarser sand today ( aragmax select, I think?) and I'll add a thin layer and see what happens. Since the stream in ther now blows the hermits across the bottom, I'm not sure the sand will stay put!!

Jack
03-27-2005, 08:19 AM
Haha I don't think bare bottom looks good either but I am tempted to try one day.

I went with the Seafloor sand but it's still blowing around a bit on the ends.. and you'll have twice my flow in half the tank. Good luck!! :lol:

Chillers are noisy and hot. Not sure what I'll do for the summer this time round right now either.

Aquattro
03-27-2005, 08:25 AM
I originally was going to lay a layer of silicone down over the entire bottom and fill it with sand. Let it dry and shake off the excess, but I ran out of time. I'm not sure what teh sand will do, but gotta give it a shot.

And ya, I forgot about heat. My chiller heated my whole house this past winter!!

BCOrchidGuy
03-27-2005, 07:50 PM
I wonder if there is a plastic radiator available out there. That combined with a couple of fans may make a reasonable inexpensive chiller/cooler/heat exchange.

Doug

StirCrazy
03-27-2005, 11:18 PM
I haven't hooked up th echiller yet,

is that a new virtual chiller you use over the computer? :mrgreen:

Looks good

Steve

Aquattro
03-28-2005, 03:55 AM
no Steve, that's the nasty habit I have of hitting the space bar prematurely. :razz:
Hey, I need you to come look at something. Little brown growths tht I want to make sure aren't those things that overgrew your tank.