PDA

View Full Version : Open green brain question

gerrygab
03-26-2005, 08:13 PM
I have a open green brain coral and a branching frogspawn, they don't seen to be extending themselves enough. I have had them 2 months now, at first they were totaly open and within a few weeks they have'nt been opening very much. Any ideas?
90 gallon
PC lighting
Ca 400 ish
PH 8
Sal 1.027

Nemo
03-26-2005, 08:16 PM
I have a open green brain coral and a branching frogspawn, they don't seen to be extending themselves enough. I have had them 2 months now, at first they were totaly open and within a few weeks they have'nt been opening very much. Any ideas?
90 gallon
PC lighting
Ca 400 ish
PH 8
Sal 1.027

I started using Phytoplankton and my stuff has been growing at a very fast rate ever since. your PH is probable a bit low, I have put mine up to 8.2 and things seem happier JMO

Robert

marie
03-26-2005, 09:44 PM
What kind of lighting do you have? These are not high light corals and the more light they get, the less open they have to be, to get what they need.

gerrygab
03-26-2005, 09:50 PM
I have 48" Corallife 260 watt PC canopy for 12 hours per day. Also both corals are on the bottom

marie
03-26-2005, 11:26 PM
probably not the light then :biggrin:. Do you have any soft corals? sometimes chemical warfare can be the culprit. The soft corals can release a toxin that will affect some lps, large water changes and using carbon should help in that situation

sumpfinfishe
03-27-2005, 12:54 AM
How's your Alkilinity, I have been keeping LPS for awhile now and if any of them don't show ripe color and great tissue expansion the first thing I check is Alk. then Ca- just because your Calcium is in check doesn't mean that Alk is ok.

Also as mentioned above along with medium lighting, most of these corals also prefer medium to light flow in order to fully expand

Willow
03-27-2005, 02:26 AM
have you been feeding them? i usally squirt mysis at the frogspawn a few times a week and they seem pretty happy. i also have a 90 with pc lights. the frog doesnt like a super high water flow so check that.