PDA

View Full Version : FIELD TRIP TO Aquarium! Sunday April 24th @ 5:45pm

Xtasia
03-24-2005, 09:26 PM
Hi Gang,

FYI for Sunday April 24th: Vancouver Aquarium Behind the Scenes Tour.

ITINERARY

4:00
Early Dinner @ Great Wall Mongolian Grill (717 Denman).
$10.95 All You Can Eat. This is not included in the $11 fee.
I need a RSVP for this as not everyone wants to eat first. Just call 604-317-3699 and leave a msg.

6:00
Settle Bills and Drive to Vancouver Aquarium.

6:15
Meet at the Aquarium Main Entrance. Look for me (Tall Asian Girl), or a group of People dressed in Red Fleece Vests (our guides).

They usually have a volunteer lead the tour, but b/c we are so *special* we are getting Aquarist, Jen Reynolds. She’s excited by our visit and interested in all our technical questions.

As the behind the scenes area is slippery and full of metal grating, we are asked to wear comfortable walking shoes without a heel (Runners preferred). So gentlemen, no high heels this time ;P)

8:00
Tour Ends.
Some people will depart to catch their ferries or take their children home.
All others can go for Coffee.

AQUARIUM TOUR SALE!

The Denman Pet Boutique [683 Denman St.] has generously extended a special discount for all participants of the Aquarium Tour. If you are coming on the tour, you can expect details on this deal in your mail boxes.

REGARDING PARKING

Rikko has also offered FREE use of their parking on Denman and Alberni so you can park your car there while we’re having dinner, and touring the aquarium. Lot closes at 10pm, but we will be done before then.

AQUARIUM GUEST LIST
It's not too late to come! If you are planning on coming but have not paid, you need to tell me because the aquarium needs to know how many to expect. I will add you to the confirmed list. Tickets are $11 each you can pay me with cash at the door but I won't have change.

Chin lee (PAID 1)
SeaHorse_Fanatic (PAID 2)
Veng68 + 1 (PAID 2)
Hockey Nut (PAID 1)
Griffin (PAID 3, 3 more on day of.)
Shadowboy (PAID 1)
Tigger (PAID 1)
Morgan (PAID 2)
TomR (PAID 1)
Willow (PAID 1)
Cindyt (PAID 1)
Jack (PAID 1)
Nemo + 4 (PAID 5)
Dan B. (PAID 1)
whatever (PAID 1)
Raquel (PAID 1)
Tangman + 1
Pinhead 3 (Confirmed)
Macross 1 (Confirmed)
Jaws + 1 (confirmed)
BC Orchid (Tour only)
Scales (+2 will pay at Venue)
Srysparks + 2 (confirmed)
Rikko + 1 (confirmed)
Zeradise (confirmed)
Shianne (confirmed)
Bryan (confirmed)

My cell phone number is 604-317-FOXY (3699).

Jaws
03-25-2005, 02:32 AM
Any idea what time this is gonna wrap up at for us islanders?

shadowboy
03-26-2005, 04:12 AM
sign me up as confirmed

Xtasia
03-26-2005, 07:08 PM
** Confirmation Changes were made to the original post.

Jaws: If we do the BBQ we'll start it at 2:00 and then we'll finish the night @ 7:30ish after the tour, unless people want to go for coffee after... If the weather is poor, we'll skip the BBQ and just do dinner somewhere after and it should be done by 9:00. Last ferry is at 10 right?

Shadow, Willow. Done.

Rikko
03-27-2005, 04:38 AM
Flag me down as a go with one guest as well. My girlfriend and I work Sundays until 5:00 so dinner won't be possible but the aquarium tour is just going to work. Was this a behind the scenes tour or just a guided wander through the exhibits?

I'll see what my schedule is like but I might just have to PayPal you the cash - my days off are weekdays so arranging a time to meet up might be a pain. Or I could mail you a cheque if you like.. If it bounces you can have any coral at the store!

Jaws
03-27-2005, 06:07 AM
Sounds good. My girlfriend and I will both be there.

Xtasia
04-01-2005, 09:47 PM
I need 6 more people to pay so I can put the down payment to the aquarium to book the venue.

I'll be home all Sunday I live by King Eds/J&L, so just drop by, pay me and then go to to the LFSs.. cmon you know you are going to go there anyways :P

Zerandise
04-01-2005, 11:14 PM
I have the cash for you just dont drive. If anyone else is headed out your way I can give it to them or go with them. Maybe when we head out to J&L willow? thats sunday right?

Jason McK
04-01-2005, 11:56 PM
What is involved the the Tour?
Is it behind the seenes or what? Sounds like a cool Idea

J

Dresden
04-02-2005, 12:40 AM
can i show up with $11 and still attend? Drop in's?

Griffin
04-02-2005, 12:57 AM
watch out guys - she gets you in the house and won't let you leave till you buy frags :biggrin: just kidding ------ everything is doing great. It will be a great tour, get your $$$$$$ to her so she can get things set up - Ivy is offering her time to do this and we all appreciate it - Big thanks

Cheers
Rich

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-02-2005, 03:42 AM
Ivy,

See you Sunday with $ for Irene & I, Chin & family, Vic Eng & Andy, & my friend Cindy T (maybe) :biggrin:

Anthony

hockey nut
04-02-2005, 07:07 AM
Ivy,

I'll try to get the money to you this weekend. Maybe I can give it Rob or John if that works for them and they could drop it off for me. If not I'll try to swing by.

Cheers

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-02-2005, 08:25 AM
Callum,

I'll cover for you as well since I'm seeing Ivy this Sunday. How many though?

Anthony

Tom R
04-02-2005, 03:54 PM
Hi Ivy

I will try and drop over on sunday about 3:00. It is my company's year end so we are busy counting inventory.

Tom R

Gujustud
04-02-2005, 05:15 PM
I'm interested, but want to know what the 'field trip' consists of. Is it a behind the scene tour?

R.A.D
04-03-2005, 08:07 AM
Hi I'm certainly interested. I live out in the Valley so is there anyway of me sending you money/cheque via post? Pls. let me know.

Cheers,

raquel
04-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Count me is as well. Xtasia, where can I drop the money off?

Raquel

Xtasia
04-04-2005, 05:10 AM
I've updated payment on the Main post...

Payment for 10people will be paid on monday to secure the date, then payment for 10 more will be paid before the event date.. (so I need to have 20 people paid before the actual date..).

After we have 20 people, people can pay as they arrive to the event..

Vancouver Aquarium just required that I have 20 people guaranteed before the actual date...

We meet up, do a tour of the aquarium exhibits, and then look behind the scenes... the tour should take 1hr.

After we'll go somewhere together to have dinenr and talk shop... both events are optional, but I need to know which you'll be attending so that I can make the appropriate reservations.

Thanks for those of you who brought Gift Frags.... I strongly believe in Reefers Karma.. hopefully there will be a time when I will have things to share with you.

- Ivy

whatever
04-07-2005, 06:48 AM
Xtasia

you have mail

Zerandise
04-07-2005, 11:12 PM
Im still trying to find a way out to you! I have not forgotten nor changed my plans on going!!!! My wife is in Edmonton for 2 weeks and i dont drive. Are you anywhere near the skytrain? I could make it by that way maybe.

Rikko
04-07-2005, 11:30 PM
Xtasia,
Just one last confirmation: at first you said meet for BBQ or somesuch and then go to aquarium for 5:45. Is that our confirmed aquarium time and now we're going for dinner afterwards? Just want to make sure I can get there in time as I'm working until 5:00.

Thanks

Xtasia
04-11-2005, 02:43 AM
THIS POST IS NO LONGER VALID... see original post for update.

BCWolfen
04-11-2005, 05:32 AM
Hmm What time does the tour wrap up, if it's not starting till 7:15. Will that give Island folks enough time to make it back to the ferries before the last boat leaves?

Xtasia
04-11-2005, 03:50 PM
NO CHANGE HAPPENING.

whatever
04-11-2005, 07:48 PM
FWIW I think the times might be difficult for some islanders.

Last Ferries:

Vancouver to Nanaimo
Horseshoe Bay to Departure Bay 9:00 pm
Tsawwassen to Duke Point 10:45 pm

Vancouver to Victoria
Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay 9:00 pm

Xtasia
04-11-2005, 08:08 PM
See new thread... I need to take a poll on Dinner...

whatever
04-12-2005, 03:43 AM
New thread???? Link please.

raquel
04-14-2005, 03:08 AM
Xtasia, Thanks for all the work on this.

7 ish is too late for me but I will try to make it.

I guess no one else has a passover seder to go to :razz:
Will my family understand that fish come first?

Xtasia
04-14-2005, 05:16 AM
NO worries anymore.. I'm going to stick with the original plan so that we are sure the islanders can get back on time.. dinner will be before so that we can accomodate our island friends and friends with kids :P

raquel
04-14-2005, 05:24 AM
Yippee :razz:

Xtasia
04-14-2005, 03:24 PM
The main post has been updated with the guest list, intinerary and a poll for dinner.. If you are one of the people who confirmed please take a moment to vote.. Thanks.

Restaurant suggestions are a must now..

Mike Olson
04-14-2005, 11:34 PM
Hi there, I started my first reef tank 6 mos ago and am amazed at the experience...still dont know why I didnt start 10 years ago! Better late than never :biggrin: I think this is such a great forum to learn and meet people with the same passion for reef keeping. Is it too late to put my name in to the tour? I was at the aquarium with my kids about two weeks ago and really enjoyed it...but I didnt get much of a chance to focus on the reef displays. I have met quite a few people at JL's, king eds and ocean, everyone is so helpful. I havent got my website up and running yet, but I do have a few pics of my tank on reefcentral under the same name. If you need more info or a deposit, email me at mpholson@shaw.ca

Xtasia
04-19-2005, 08:58 PM
BUMP...

It's still on people!!! hope to see you there!

hockey nut
04-20-2005, 08:20 AM
I live in Surrey. Anyone want to car pool for the dinner and the tour? I would not like to be rushed so if per chance we went out for coffee after the tour to talk more shop that would be something I would like to do if I car pooled with someone. I also don't mind driving and have room for 3 or 4 extra reefers from the surrey area. A couple bucks to help out for gas/parking or a frag or 2.... :mrgreen: would be cool but not manditory. I'm just putting this out there so if anyone is interested pls PM me.

Cheers

hockey nut
04-20-2005, 08:25 AM
I would like to thank IVY for setting this whole tour/dinner up. It would not have happened without the well planning and patience that it takes to make such an event happen. So thank you Ivy for all your work. :biggrin: This should be alot of fun. I look forward to meeting you all and exchanging stories.

Regards

whatever
04-20-2005, 08:40 AM
I'll second that. Thanks a bunch. Your truly an :angel:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-20-2005, 04:51 PM
Thanks Ivy. I'll bring you some red halimenia and frags for your tank in appreciation.

Anthony

Xtasia
04-20-2005, 08:52 PM
i don't know if I'll have a tank at the end of this week...

Rikko
04-21-2005, 12:53 AM
Hi ivy,
I emailed you a few days ago (well, the hotmail address to your Paypal - I guess you don't use it) asking if it was too late to get in.. I talked to hockey nut today and he was under the impression that the rest of us unwashed masses could pay at the door since you had the down payment covered - is that the case or am I SOL?

Thanks

hockey nut
04-21-2005, 08:37 AM
Are we meeting for a place to have dinner.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions for dinner as I don't know the area that well.

Why might you not have a tank soon?

Veng68
04-21-2005, 10:32 AM
Are we meeting for a place to have dinner.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions for dinner as I don't know the area that well.

Why might you not have a tank soon?

I heard the new Fat Burger just opened........... too bad I am a Vera's person.

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

Xtasia
04-21-2005, 04:38 PM
I'll make a post later today with final details.

Yes the rest of you can pay for the aquarium @ the dinner before the tour...

It's still on.. I was just getting final confirmation from the Aquarium first.

Xtasia
04-21-2005, 10:04 PM
MAIN POST HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH DETAILS. Expect PMs to those who signed up about the special sale from Denman Pet Gallery.

Rikko
04-21-2005, 10:11 PM
Just a note to anybody planning to use our parking - it's the first driveway on your right when you turn onto Alberni (that's a block South of Georgia) off Denman and then park wherever. Don't worry about parking in the labelled spots... And if you see anybody parking in our spots and look like they're going to just go for a run, trip them.

Hope to see you all on Sunday.

fei_chu
04-22-2005, 07:54 AM
I would like to go but i can't confirm until it is closer to the day or actually hour. If i were to go should i just show up @ around 6pm to meet you guys there. thanks

www.ronalddiaz.com

Veng68
04-25-2005, 04:42 AM
Great Event. :biggrin:

Thanks for organizing Ivy :smile:

Cheers,
Vic[veng68]