PDA

View Full Version : Coming to Vanc Island in the spring

ungp
03-24-2005, 04:31 AM
Can someone recommend a good LFS. Looking for some dry goods (carbon, additives, DT planktons...)

thx,

r_wellwood
03-24-2005, 05:06 AM
Somewhere in Victoria would be your best bet, I personally don't have the names of the shops.

If you can get over to Vancouver you would be doing even better... why not just order from J&Ls, Ocean Aquatics, etc and have everything shipped out?

RW

Reefhawk1
03-24-2005, 05:09 AM
Safari pets in Victoria is the one I visit when im on the island.

mwm
03-24-2005, 08:41 AM
Paws and Jaws in Rutherford mall is good so is My Fish Tank downtown nanaimo across the road form budget and near civic arena. Pet cetera sucks dont bother

Jaws
03-24-2005, 02:44 PM
Safari pets in Victoria is the one I visit when im on the island.

Definitely the best on the island in my opinion. Talk to a guy named Japarto if you're there. He'll help you out.

rickjames
03-24-2005, 06:13 PM
Safaris is definitely the best in Victoria, however, if you are coming from Calgary and are looking primarily for drygoods, get it all at J&L (in Burnaby), they are pretty much the cheapest in the country. Japarto at safaris is great though, always has nice livestock to buy and a good selection of supplies.

ungp
03-25-2005, 04:57 AM
thanks all for the info. definately try and check out most mentioned.

mid-island reef
03-25-2005, 04:04 PM
Hey, I'm the new guy :lol:

I live in Duncan, about an hour north of Victoria and 45 mins south of Nanaimo. I get all my supplies from my local store, Island Pet Zone. His prices on equipment, additives , live rock ect rival those of Vancouver, and from what I have seen are the best on the island. They are currently revamping their livestock section, and building a new coral display. Don't go on a Sunday as the girl that works then is no good when it comes to marine. I would say that Safari in Victoria has the best selection of corals ... however they are expensive.

Jaws
03-25-2005, 04:43 PM
This is true. I've seen the prices there and they are very good on most of the stuff. There is still some prices that are high on things though. Overall though, good store from what I've seen.

BCWolfen
03-25-2005, 05:08 PM
I get all my supplies from my local store, Island Pet Zone. His prices on equipment, additives , live rock ect rival those of Vancouver, and from what I have seen are the best on the island.

Do they have a website? I'd be interested in seeing his prices. May be worth the drive to Duncan.

mwm
03-26-2005, 06:32 AM
I get all my supplies from my local store, Island Pet Zone. His prices on equipment, additives , live rock ect rival those of Vancouver, and from what I have seen are the best on the island.

Do they have a website? I'd be interested in seeing his prices. May be worth the drive to Duncan.
Its not bad at all ive been there a few times. This is the store near safeway kind of right? Just off the main highway? When i was there they had a HUGE selection of dry goods and alot of nice little fish and frogs and things

mid-island reef
03-26-2005, 06:51 AM
As far as I know the store has no website,but the next time I'm in I'll ask. This store is located off the hyway, close to Canadian Tire, on Beverly st. To give an example of his prices, I just bought a 48" Aqualight HQI for $799. When I was shopping around, Safari was $899, and J&L was about the same price plus shipping. I also got a box of live rock at the same time for $5 a lb and he let me pick put the best box he got in .
Like I said earlier his livestock is very low right now as he is re-vamping his system. He just had a fiew inverts and a bit of live rock. I was there today and although he had limited fish .... mostly Hawaiian stuff, his best deals were on Yellow Tangs at $30 and Flame angels at $60. I got a bunch of Zebra hermits for $2 ea.
Question .......... I have been useing up to now Kent Tec A&B Calcium but today picked up Kents Liquid Reactor instead ........ The owner told me that in his experience it was an easier product to use and remained stable in the tank for longer periods. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

mwm
03-26-2005, 07:19 AM
yep thats the store i was at its very cool i wouldnt mind going back when i had more time so i could wonder more

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-26-2005, 04:00 PM
M-I Reefer,

I use Liquid Reactor & my clams & corals love the stuff. My Derasa & Squamosa have grown about 1 cm of shell/mantle since Boxing Day on the stuff. For most reef tanks that are not predominantly SPS, the Liq.Reactor is a good alternative to most of the Ca supplements & a Ca reactor. However, if you're an SPS reefer with a large tank setup, I would go with a Ca reactor.

Personally, although it is more $$ than Kent's Liquid Calcium, I like the fact that L.Reactor contains Mg & Strontium, trace minerals & carbonates, as well as Ca so it is cost effective & convenient.

JMO & JME,

Anthony

Chaloupa
03-26-2005, 09:42 PM
I go to all the fish shops on the Island. I would not be the first to recommend Island Pet Zone as we were just there and their tanks were FILTHY. So much algae you couldn't see through them...fish with parasites, dead fish, listless fish...kind of disappointing because the owner seems really nice. However Japarto at Safari is AWESOME!!!!! Great guy! And so much nice stock usually. I pay a low price for all my stuff from a local in home business here....all cured live rock is between 4.50-5.00 including all popular rocks. Their fish are top notch quality, they Q them all and make sure that they are eating and healthy before sale....up to 4 weeks in their tanks is not unusual....and their customer service is excellent. They are in Campbell River and worth the drive. But in Victoria Japarto is the guy!

mid-island reef
03-27-2005, 09:12 AM
hmmmm, sounds like you went there on a bad day. I also travel to all of the South Island stores ........ I have to admit I didn't know there was anyone in CR selling Marine ...... and I would agree that Safari has the best selection of livestock,but I think all stores have their own problems from time to time, one good reason to check back often. I always get good advice from IPZ, and am looking forward to their revamped marine section.