PDA

View Full Version : Sad day for adidas fish, what happend can you help

Tarolisol
03-24-2005, 03:44 AM
Well as most of you know i am/was babysitting adidas fish. Well heres the story, The fish came to me with a slight case of ick, which ran its course a couple times with no deaths or the fish stopping eating. Then after the ick was gone a couple weeks later the mayhem begins. The fish seemed to get sick. fast breathing and red gills. Then over the course of a day the fish would die. The fish looks fine exept for the red gills. The only fish that has managed to live is a hardy clown. Any ideas what it could be?

G1GY
03-24-2005, 04:02 AM
No ideas, but I feel bad for you to be the unlucky sitter. :sad:

Sorry to hear that Sean.

snaggle
03-24-2005, 04:17 AM
man that sux, sounds like a gill infection but I don not know what did you check the ammonia.

Brad

Tarolisol
03-24-2005, 04:45 AM
I checked all elemnts and never got a reading for anything negative. I figure theres to much water for there to be a significant change in ammonia. Also none of my fish were effected. I though some sort of gill infection myself. Maybe the ick lowered there immune systems or somthing.

Reefhawk1
03-24-2005, 05:07 AM
Ick will actually kill your fish by attacking their gills. The white spots you see on fish is there "incubation stage" I guess you could call it that. I have read in the past that clownfish are immune to ich and that is what makes them a great beginner fish.

Stan

Tarolisol
03-24-2005, 06:18 AM
Ive just never seen ick kill that quickly. Im not sure about immune becuase a panda clown did die from this outbreak.

Beverly
03-24-2005, 12:48 PM
Sounds like ich probably killed them by attacking the gills, a very easy place to miss seeing if ich is there :sad:

The ich life cycle from:

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/marineich.html

The life cycle of C. irritans

C. irritans has a four stage life cycle, as shown in Figure 1. The parasitic stage (theronts) is the one that results in the appearance of white spots all over the fish. The theronts burrow under the skin where they feed on body fluids and tissue debris. When the theronts first infect the fish they are small but grow as they feed and so the white spots are initially small but get larger as they mature. Once mature, they drop off the fish and sink/swim down to the substrate where they encyst and begin to reproduce. In this stage they are called tomonts. After a number of days in which the tomonts divide, the cyst ruptures, releasing the tomites. Tomites may differentiate into theronts, the infective stage, which actively seek a host to reinfect.

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/C_irritansLifeCycle.gif

Willow
03-24-2005, 02:56 PM
judging by some of adidas comments in the past it sounds like they had ick long before you got them and this was inevitable unless treated with medication.

bulletsworld
03-24-2005, 05:46 PM
Sean, sorry you had to be the sitter, please don’t feel bad. You tried your best and was very nice of you to help out. *HUGS*

Joel (Adidas) sorry to hear about your losses. Now their in the big ocean in the sky. *HUGS*

When I read this thread honestly it did not surprise me. The ich didn't kill them that quickly...knowing Joel (Adidas) was having problems with ich before you got them. I shook my head when I heard the fish were not going to be treated. I knew it was only a matter of time for the ich cycle to go through resulting in the demise of the fish. Not to mention the stress the fish would go through just leaving his tank to yours that would bring down the fish immunity. Wish I would have picked them up when I was up there as mentioned and I brought them back with me to treat them. :cry:

Clownfish are extremely hardy and although it has not died yet it does not mean that it won't still. Ich does attack the gill becoming unnoticed by the naked eye. Also if you had Joel's fish in your sump below your main tank... Don't be surprised when your fish get infected too, as the free swimming stages of the ich will be sucked in your main tank. EEK!

I may be coming to Calgary this weekend. If you need any help with QT, I would be more then willing to help out.

So sorry to hear about the losses :frown:

Tarolisol
03-24-2005, 05:55 PM
Well not haveing an established QT tank as of yet so i couldnt treat them. Well ill keep an out on my fish, but i havent seen any signs of ick or anything to suggest they are infected.

bulletsworld
03-24-2005, 06:29 PM
Well not haveing an established QT tank as of yet so i couldnt treat them. Well ill keep an out on my fish, but i havent seen any signs of ick or anything to suggest they are infected.

Well your not alone. Lots of people don't have established QT tanks set up or just a QT setup for that matter.

I have learned in the past that to be sucessful in hobby you must QT everything (Fish, corals, inverts) for a period of time. You never know what your neibour has got (Red bugs, flat worms, flukes, ich, velvet, etc) or even your LFS. So I have a QT tank's setup & running all the time.

I just finished treating someone's fish in one of my QT tank's. If you need help treating, let me know. I have a open established tank going.

:wink:

Tarolisol
03-24-2005, 11:49 PM
I have just set up a QT tank today and am going to let it run for a little while, and ill keep an eye on the clown and if i see any sign of stress or dots ill QT and treat. what would you suggest for treatment. Hypo salinity or copper? Or is there something else im missing.

BCOrchidGuy
03-25-2005, 12:02 AM
I'm a fan of Hypo saline plus Sea Chems cupramine. Get some Seachem marine buffer, you can often times find a tiny jar of it for $4. Set temp and do a fresh water dip then add the fish to the QT tank, lower the salinity over a couple of days and then treat with cupramine. It's much easier on the fish than copper.

Doug

PS good luck, if I need a fish sitter I think I'd pick you.

Tarolisol
03-25-2005, 12:24 AM
I have the cuprimine stuff, ive used it before. i never knew it was any different then regular copper though. It worked well on regal tang and box fish.

bulletsworld
03-25-2005, 07:19 AM
Hypo saline (Hyposalinity) is not good to do with copper. Water chemistry alone with just hyposalinity in a QT tank that has not been setup very long is also very unstable. In this case I would use copper.

Snappy
03-25-2005, 10:45 PM
Ick will actually kill your fish by attacking their gills. The white spots you see on fish is there "incubation stage" I guess you could call it that. I have read in the past that clownfish are immune to ich and that is what makes them a great beginner fish.

Stan
I have had an ich outbreak one time and both my clowns were covered and later died from it. Clowns are not immuned.