PDA

View Full Version : Coco Worms spitting out white liquid?

bulletsworld
03-23-2005, 09:39 PM
Hey does anyone know of what that means? I've been trying to find any article/research that tells me what this means. No luck so far.

Last night I noticed my tank getting all cloudy and then later noticed my pink coco worm was spitting almost milk streams out its crown. :eek: Wondering if this is the reason some of my corals have wilted. Did a big water change but still kept doing it lastnight. Weird :eek: It eats and feathers are always out even when its doing this...hmm...

Anyone ever encountered this before?

Maybe this is the reason why most people don't have one of these stunning creatures?

:eek:

albert_dao
03-23-2005, 10:09 PM
Maybe it is releasing it's sperm/eggs into the water? Heh, you should videotape it.

bulletsworld
03-23-2005, 10:21 PM
Hey I bought this one from your store too. Thanks for the great price! WooHoo! :wink:

You know I did read about that and wondered hmm..... I did try to take pic's and even video cam'd it too actually. But its kinda hard to see due to tank lighting reflections and cause the milk like liquid does dissolve in the water shortly after it leaves the Coco Worms feathers.

I will try posting what I got later so everyone can see. Its the weirdest thing to see. The fact that it clouds the water so quickly is what concerned me.

:neutral:

danny zubot
03-24-2005, 03:22 PM
Do you have more than one worm? I wonder why it would just decide to spit up like that? Anyway, skim skim skim and do a water change should keep everything happy.

bulletsworld
03-24-2005, 04:31 PM
Yeah I was wondering the same thing. I did a big water change already & skimmer always going. I only have that one coco worm in there. The crown, pink feathers still out through the day and night. Lastnight I kept a close eye and it hasn't happened since. Weird... :neutral:

I still have to go through my video & pic's and see if I can get a clear picture so you can all see. Was kinda interesting to see for sure, except what it did to the water, cloudy. :confused:

BrainVat
03-27-2005, 06:02 AM
I can't be positive but this sounds like a breeding event. These guys are broadcast spawners and so they release a lot of gametes (eggs/sperm) into the water at once.

Normally anything that isn't digestible gets integrated into their tube in one form or another.

danny zubot
03-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Well if thats the case then I'll call first dibs on some coco worms when they've grown up a bit :mrgreen:

snaggle
03-28-2005, 03:10 PM
I am second. I want me a coco worm. :biggrin: