PDA

View Full Version : new refugium question, please help!

shadowboy
03-23-2005, 07:02 PM
How long would a tank take to cycle if every thing you put in it is old? I transfered about 30 gallons of aged seawater from my 135 gallon tank, thats been up and running for 5 months. I cut a piece of sponge from my 135s sump and put it in my whisper 60, the filter for the 55 gallon, which is going to become a refugium. alos should I fill the 55 gallon to the top? or have a shallower refugium? like only 30-40 gallons?
How long will It take to cycle is the biggest question, I have a gobie and pistol shrimp I'm supposed to pick up tommorow, and my 135s only got a 1/2" sugar sand bed, which will be useless for the gobie/shrimp
The 55s got a deep 6-7 inch bed of crushed coral
thanks alot
tristan

shadowboy
03-24-2005, 12:26 AM
anyone? could really use the help
:eek:

Tarolisol
03-24-2005, 12:35 AM
Is there any live rock in it that isnt cured? If the rock is cured the water is old and the filter is old then there will be almost no cycle. A small fish should be ok in my opinion. As for the refuge if it isnt acting as a sump as well i would say fill it to the top, more water volume. But if its a sump you have to remember what will syphon down into it in the event of a power outage.

Rikko
03-24-2005, 12:38 AM
My post in this thread:
http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14712

pretty much sums up my take on cycling.
In short: with sufficient aged "stuff" going into the new setup, I don't think the tank will even "cycle" in the way we usually look at it. Considering the minimal bio load you have to add right this instant, I wouldn't hesitate.

shadowboy
03-24-2005, 01:51 AM
thanks for the replys. There is no uncured rock and its not a sump, It just sits beside the 135
thanks alot, I fell better about puttig the goby/shrimp in now... and If anything goes wrong...guess whos gonna be blamed :lol: just kidding