PDA

View Full Version : Small PE Mysis in the GVRD?

Chin_Lee
03-23-2005, 02:50 PM
Have anybody seen the small size PE mysis in the Lower Mainland for sale anywhere? My smaller fishes are having problems eating the big ones. When the eat a big one, they usually spit up a bit each time which I feel contributes to tank pollution.
Thanks
CWLee

albert_dao
03-23-2005, 03:01 PM
You could trying thawing and chopping it up. That's what I use to do for tetras and stuff.

Willow
03-23-2005, 03:05 PM
i think the hiliarki mysis are smaller that the pe ones.

cc_bruno
03-23-2005, 04:31 PM
Willow's right, the Hikari ones are much smaller than the PE ones, (1/4 - 1/3 the size of the PE Mysid). Also, I believe the small, cubed, Hikari plankton is about the same size as the Hikari mysid... if that helps.

Robert

Aquattro
03-23-2005, 05:08 PM
PE sells smaller sized mysis, but availability is limited. The problem is retailers need to order an entire case if they want some, and since demand isn't up there, the product can sit for a while.

Chin, maybe grab one of those tiny food processors at a thrift shop and grind the bigger mysis into bite size for the smaller fish.

sumpfinfishe
03-24-2005, 12:01 AM
Chin call me and I can bring over some of the krill I was telling you about.

Rikko
03-24-2005, 12:40 AM
I have the same problem with PE mysis but still feed it. I just chop the frozen block up a few times with a razor blade (rinse the blade in freshwater and dry it and it'll stay rust free for months and months) and then thaw and you get a good variety of food sizes. Only downside here is that it becomes more difficult to rinse out the pack juices if that's what you do. (Brine shrimp net might come in handy here)

BCOrchidGuy
03-26-2005, 07:14 AM
The Hikari is smaller but it isn't usually intact like the PE is. You don't get the same movement off the Hikari either. With the PE my old seahorses would follow it for some time before losing interest but with Hikari they didn't even look at it.

Doug

trilinearmipmap
03-26-2005, 06:56 PM
My fish don't like the larger PE mysis and some of my LPS corals spit it out. I wonder if OA would order in the smaller ones if enough people are interested.

Chin_Lee
03-27-2005, 04:27 AM
I like the PE mysis and would prefer to stay with them. The Hikari is smaller but sometimes it seems too small. Cutting up the mysis is just wayyy too much work. sorry i know i'm picky but I would definitely be interested in the smaller mysis if somebody (OA hint hint nudge nudge) can order them in. I can't be the only reefer with small fish that find the large PE mysis too big .......

Willow
03-27-2005, 04:30 AM
even my kole would probably prefer the smaller mysis.

hockey nut
03-27-2005, 05:52 AM
Well.... Big Als might have some. I bought a flat 2 pack from them some time ago and they have it in often I belive. I just break a small pc off and thaw it out in some sw. Fish like the small mysis and everything else likes the juice. If you want to try some out, just drop by and see if it is the size you are looking for.

HTH :smile:

zulu_principle
03-31-2005, 10:18 PM
Hey we listen.

8 oz. bags of small mysis In stock now.

Wendell
www.oceanaquatics.com

Willow
03-31-2005, 11:16 PM
wooty! now wheres the cyclopeze slacker :mrgreen:

Chin_Lee
04-01-2005, 02:05 AM
Hey we listen.

8 oz. bags of small mysis In stock now.

Wendell
www.oceanaquatics.com

Thanks Wendell, thats just excellent! See you soon
CWLee

trilinearmipmap
04-01-2005, 05:56 PM
I don't see the small size mysis on the website, what is the price?