PDA

View Full Version : Complete custom built 180 gal. setup.

Rainman58
05-01-2002, 12:51 AM
Selling my custom built 180 gal. setup. Comes with the following......

2 Water Filters with bio balls
2 Little Giant MD-2 pumps
1 Fluval 404
1 AquaClear 5000 Powerhead
2 802 Powerheads
1 Coralife Super Skimmer4
2 4" Ice cap Fans
2 Tronic 200 watt heaters
1 25 Watt Startronics U.V. Sterilizer
3 X 150 Watt Iwasaki MH
2 X 110 Watt Fluorescents
4 X 40 Watt Fluorescents
Approx. 115 LBS live rock
Misc. fish and corals etc.

All in a custom built stand (white) with 14" canopy which is identical on both sides so it can be used as a room divider etc. Tank has been up and running for over a year now and comes with a 10 gal. feeder tank which sits in the middle of the stand. I have over $6500.00 invested in this setup and will let it go for $4000.00 Firm! No offers! Serious inquires only. Email me for pics.

AL (almiller58@hotmail.com)

canadawest
05-01-2002, 01:56 AM
Just curious, but the price seems a little steep for a used system, even if there is $6500 invested as you claim.

Considering you can get a new reef-ready 180 with stand and hood for around $1200, it's hard to believe that all of your used equipment and rock has a value of $3000? :eek:

Best of luck with your sale, but I suspect if you are firm on your price you will have your setup for some time. But that's just my opinion.

One_Divided
05-01-2002, 02:53 AM
I felt the same and also the "150w" iwasaki cuaght my eye.. Is this a typo or are there actually such thing? (in a 6500k range that is)

Delphinus
05-01-2002, 11:08 AM
Iwasaki does indeed have a 150W 6500K bulb...

DJ88
05-01-2002, 11:45 AM
Guys,

That isn't very polite. Al has his reasonings for asking the price he feels is fair. Have you seen the set up in person to say it is or isn't worth that much?

If you are not interested in the set up, comments on how much a person is asking for something is pretty rude. If you have quesstions ask. If you don't have any, have some couth and don't post.

[ 01 May 2002, 07:45: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

AJ_77
05-01-2002, 12:11 PM
I understand DJ's point, and I agree that it's impolite to question pricing, but seeing as these are NOT the classifieds, are we not free to comment on the buy/sell posts?

True, in an interactive forum it's up to us to exercise "couth" or "uncouth" behaviour, but the nature of the medium encourages response.

We may say of a particular "ad" that it looks like a great deal, or we wish we could afford it, etc. May we not also express alternative reactions to a post, especially one with such hard-and-fast wording, e.g. "firm, no offers?"

It's probably OK, IMO. If I was out of line in my asking price, I 'might' appreciate some feedback.

AJ

DJ88
05-01-2002, 02:13 PM
AJ,

These are classifieds. The posts here are to do with items for sale. If the price is to be discussed, go for it.

To me it is one thing to talk to the seller regarding a post in this forum if you have an expressed interest and show an obvious interest.
To come on the thread and say what has been said when there is no expressed interest in the sale is not tactful. Tho it may seem a bit obscure to others some tact does have to be exercised. If there is interest and this is being done to talk to the seller into purchasing what he has for sale then fine. But neither has expressed an interest.

No one commented on Canadawest selling his zoomed powersweep PH's, baby cardinal's, or One Divided's tank he was selling. Everyone left it to whoever wanted them to talk to them. Why is it different when someone else posts something for sale and they feel it is a rip off it is ok for them to comment?

If you don't like a price for something and you ARE interested, post. If you aren't interested what do you have to gain? I understand people will say I was trying to show that the price was a bit high. If you want to do this. Once again. Use Tact. A private message goes a long way in a situation like this.

Rainman58
05-01-2002, 10:06 PM
As anyone know`s salt water fish can be a expensive hobby and the costs of setting up a system doesn`t just stop at a tank and stand. I didn`t bother to keep receipts but off the top of my head some of my costs were....

180 gal. Tank $700.00
Little Giant Pumps X 2 $400.00
Ice Cap Fans X 2 $160.00
Lights $1400.00
Live Rock $1000.00
Plumbing $200.00
Then there`s Power Heads, Water Filters, Protein Skimmers, Sand, Salt Water, U.V. Sterilizer, Filters etc etc etc.

As for the comment CanadaWest made about a tank and stand for $1200.00... I spent a great deal of time looking at stands (in Canada and the USA) some that were as much as $2500.00 US and found the quality to be very poor. I also wanted a stand that would be indentical on both sides as my plan was to use my tank etc. as a room divider someday. I also wanted a stand that would be open in the centre so I could keep my 10 gal. feeder tank in it. Not being able to find anything to my satisfaction I decided to build my own. After close to $900.00 in materials and almost 3 months of work in my spare time I finally had the stand I wanted.

I created a homepage (my first one) with some pics of my tank etc. if anyone is interested. Hope it works.

http://hometown.aol.com/rainman091827/index.html

AL

farmerjo90
05-01-2002, 10:42 PM
I bought a 180 gallon Oceanic tank from Animal House and it cost me $1500.00! So 700.00 sounds good to me. I wish it was for sale when i was looking.
shirley

canadawest
05-02-2002, 04:10 AM
Many things we sell have some value associated with it that is sentimental in nature and often overvalues the item from it's fair market value. My opinion is that the items for sale are overvalued, and I am entitled to my opinion, which obviously is not unique in this case.

As a consumer I have the right to question the price of any product for sale, especially used goods in a forum like this. There are also many inexperienced people in this hobby that don't know the true value of equipment and I feel that we should help educate them to prevent them from making poor choices.

We do this every day here on this board. If someone posts that they can buy a bucket of salt for $99 somewhere, 65 people will quickly inform them that it can be had for $65 at J&L or somewhere else. I was just doing the same here. The fact remains that one could likely re-create the same setup with all new equipment for $4000 or less, so I questioned the seller's estimation of it's price.

As for the items I post for sale, if I post an item here for sale, I accept the fact that anyone has the right to question the price, especially on used equipment and most certainly if it's overvalued. If told, I would gladly accept the fact that I've asked way to much for an item, rather than wonder why nobody is interested.

Such is the beauty of selling used equipment. It's only as valuable, price wise, as the market is willing to pay. Thus the pricing has little to do with our percieved value and everything to do with what the market decides.

canadawest
05-02-2002, 04:12 AM
PS... I feel bad for and I apologize to AL for contributing to distracting this thread from it's original intention, which is to sell his goods.

ruck'n'reefer
05-02-2002, 09:32 AM
What is the list of livestock?

Rainman58
05-02-2002, 11:19 PM
Just updated my webpage with a list of livestock I now have in my tank......

Rainman58
05-17-2002, 10:55 PM
It seems some people think my asking price for my set up is alittle high so i was just curious as to what some of you think would be a fair price to ask for my set up?

Aquattro
05-18-2002, 12:09 AM
Al, you listed a lot of stuff without details. For example, what type of lighting? (Brand, watages, # of bulbs, etc.) What make and model of filters, skimmers, etc.
You may even find you can get closer to your price by separating the parts.
An example of some used prices...I bought 140 pounds of rock, 200 pounds of sand, 7 fish, 50 hermits, 30 snails and various shrimp,stars, etc. for $400.
I bought a dual 400w/10k MH setup for $300.

These prices are a big drop from their new price. Unfortunately recovering money spent when selling your tank is difficult. Especially when it's a tank like yours. Not many people are in the market for a 180g tank setup. This makes offers fewer than you'd like. The end result is that your stuff is only worth what those few would be buyers are willing to pay. And we're generally cheap :D
Seriously though...if your in a rush to sell it, you need to cut a lot off the price. If you can wait an extended time, hold out until the "right" buyer comes along.
Good luck!

Rainman58
05-18-2002, 01:36 PM
Brad, If you look at my first post ^ there i`ve listed the brands etc. of equipment along with anything else I could think of so i`m not sure what else I can tell you? I also have a list of my livestock posted on my webpage with pics of my tank etc. As for pricing I personally think anything you can buy at say 50% of cost is not a bad deal and might even be talked into selling my system at a 50% loss. But selling off my system at 20 or 30% of my investment isn`t something i`d even consider.

Aquattro
05-18-2002, 01:45 PM
SOrry Al, I recall now that I did see the list when you first posted. Nowhere in any of my posts have I ever claimed to be real smart :D

I agree that taking 20 or 30 percent would suck. That's why I suggested separating the system. You'd get more money, I think.
I know for my self, the only way I'd buy a 180g setup with items you choose to add to it would be if the price was stupidly low..or if I wanted to add exactly what you have.
My next tank purchase is a 180. But from your list, the tank is the only item I would look at.. the other pieces aren't what I would choose and therefore have no value to me. I personally think that if you invest seven grand in a tank, you should be able to at least get 50% back. Unfortunately you need to find the "perfect" buyer.
You have a really nice looking syste, Al, and I wish you luck in seling it!

Rainman58
05-20-2002, 07:23 PM
Ok.....i`ve decided to take Brad`s advice and sell off my system separately so i`ll start with the fish and live rock first. If any of my prices seem out of line please be sure and let me know.

JoJo
05-20-2002, 11:02 PM
Hi Al,

You got mail!

SuperFudge
05-29-2002, 12:14 AM
Hi Al,

Drop me a mail when you get to the VHO`s,I am interested.

Thanks,Marc.

Aquattro
05-29-2002, 02:24 AM
Al, when you get to the end of the list, I'd be interested in the tank.

Rainman58
05-30-2002, 04:11 AM
Ok..... i`ll keep you guys informed of any updates.

Rainman58
05-30-2002, 08:02 PM
I`ve updated some of the prices on my webpage.

farmerjo90
05-30-2002, 10:50 PM
I noticed you inreased the price of the rock now. You have separated it into two types. One type is 4.50 a pound and the remaining 2 pieces are listed as EXPENSIVE. What does that mean?

Rainman58
05-31-2002, 12:24 AM
My original post of 115 lbs was a error on my part. It should have been 95 lbs. Sorry.

farmerjo90
05-31-2002, 01:26 AM
ok, but what does VERY EXPENSIVE mean in terms of money...I think we need to know that.

farmerjo90
05-31-2002, 02:26 AM
what does VERY EXpenive mean in terms of $?

Rainman58
05-31-2002, 02:35 AM
Well....... put it this way. The 15 lb piece of liverock with the moss on cost me $300.00. The other 5 lb piece which is covered in coraline cost me $75.00. They are two unique pieces and I guess when it comes to things like this it`s all a matter of how bad you want something when it comes to price.

canadawest
05-31-2002, 03:44 AM
Ummm do you have pics of this rock?

I gotta see what $20/lb and $15/lb live rock looks like.

Rainman58
05-31-2002, 05:33 AM
I`ll try and take some this weekend.

farmerjo90
06-01-2002, 05:14 PM
Gee, I'm confused again! I have an email from you quoting that you originally paid $430.00 for these two pieces of rock. "(I paid $430.00) for the 2 separate pieces." Now you are quoting it here as saying you paid $375.00 for both pieces. A mistake of $55.00?

Rainman58
06-01-2002, 10:54 PM
Gee, sorry to confuse you! How much would 14% tax be on $375.00? Lets see.... $375.00 + 14% tax = $427.50! Duh!

Rainman58
06-01-2002, 11:10 PM
And if anyone else doubts my honesty in your "clicky" little fish club please feel free to call Rob at Pet Lovers (604)859-9819 and ask him how much I paid for these two pieces which I bought out of his main show tank!

Troy F
06-02-2002, 03:21 PM
How does one go about moderating a freakin' buy and sell thread?

Some of you have been downright rude with your questions in this thread. If you don't like what the gentleman is offering or don't agree with the pricing don't buy it no need to comment. If you want to offer him less than what he has listed fine but don't get indignant about it if he isn't interested.

Al no point in lowering yourself either. It isn't a "clicky little club" but a few people that are interested in the product {apparently) but not the price.

I'm not closing the thread because Al is selling something but keep to the point in the rest of the thread. If you have any problems with what I've said pm or e-mail me.

Rainman58
06-03-2002, 01:49 AM
Blue Tang, Clarkii Clown, Bangai Cardinal, Candylactus, Large Mushroom and Devils Claw have been SOLD!

BCReefer
06-03-2002, 02:47 AM
Al your link is not working.

Any chnace you could list the remaining corals that you have.

E Mail is OK to.

Many thanks,

Cheers,
Patrick

Rainman58
06-03-2002, 03:57 AM
Yeah.....my link has been down since yesterday for some reason. Typical AOL I guess! As for my corals I still have.....

1 Small Hairy Mushroom $10.00
1 Large Leather Coral $20.00
1 Large Colt Corral $20.00

DJ88
06-03-2002, 04:39 AM
Ok.. I siad at the start of this thread that if you are interested in what Al is selling go ahead and post. IF you are really interested PM him. Sitting here questionning him when it is obvious you are NOT going to buy is a waste of his and YOUR time. If you don't like the price have some couth. AGAIN.

I hate sounding like a broken record but.

I'll say it a bit clearer this time. You don't like the price. PM or email. If you still don't like the price IGNORE the thread and prices. Hassling Al about what he paid for something is downright rude and childish. Especially if you aren't interested in buying it.

Jacoda
06-09-2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by AL:
Blue Tang, Clarkii Clown, Bangai Cardinal, Candylactus, Large Mushroom and Devils Claw have been SOLD!<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">After picking these up from Al, both me and JoJo(Danny) are beating our heads against the wall that we should have pick up every thing else too.

Al does have quality goods too offer, especially those beautiful rocks, so just give the guy a break! :mad:

I'll make another trip to you (Al) when I get my new tank setup. smile.gif

Skimmerking
06-09-2002, 10:40 PM
Hey there Al what do you have left for equiptment man...

Rainman58
06-10-2002, 06:49 PM
I still have everything because I can`t really start parting out my system until all my rock and fish are sold. I have had a couple of people interested in buying the complete system though, less the rock and fish.

Rainman58
06-30-2002, 10:03 AM
Just letting everyone know my 180 gal. set up is now SOLD!

Aquattro
06-30-2002, 01:00 PM
Congrats Al!! Hope you got close to your target price.

REEF_GUY
07-24-2002, 05:20 AM
Hi...I was wondering if the Marine Betta is still for sale.