PDA

View Full Version : Any acrylic wizards in the house?

Rikko
03-22-2005, 10:19 PM
I've got my hands on some 1/4" "acrylic" that I'm going to work with, but I'm not sure what I can use to cement it (or even the procedures.. I assume it's just like working with PVC solvent and just slap the ends together?).
'Tis called: Bayer extruded polycarbonate. It's 1/4" clear. Looks like the stuff everybody uses, but I don't really know if polycarbonate is a species of acrylic or another similar material that I can't cement as such.

Anybody know?

Aquattro
03-22-2005, 10:34 PM
http://cyro.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/cyro.cfg/php/enduser/entry.php

Rikko
03-22-2005, 10:46 PM
Whoa beauty.
Thanks Brad.

BMW Rider
03-23-2005, 03:04 AM
Polycarbonate is not acrylic, it is commonly known as Lexan. Much different properties than acrylic, a bit trickier to cut and machine, but it can be glued with Weld-On #16. It is a lot stronger than acrylic for shatter resistance, but it is softer and will scratch much more easily. Also has less structural ridgidity. What are you planning to use it for?

Rikko
03-23-2005, 03:58 AM
What are you planning to use it for?

Hehehehehe. Something new, untested, and probably doomed to fail.
In short, a MAX 5 gallon vertical sump for my nano.
I want to incorporate a sump, fuge, skimmer, surge, and overflow box into one small, custom unit. Provided I can get strong, watertight seams, I have no problem using it. There will be minimal stress on it, it won't be seen (directly behind the tank), and really the only reason I'm using it is because it's there and free.

Any Lower Mainland boys have a lead on Weld-On? I always get home after *everything* is closed.