PDA

View Full Version : Sea Hare

Jason McK
03-22-2005, 05:05 AM
Does anyone know a predator of the Sea Hare. I have had 2 in my tank now and each only lasts 1 to 5 days. The demise of this one seems to be a major wound.

The First I believe was DOA but am not 100% sure.

Thanks
Jason

Willow
03-22-2005, 05:10 AM
do you think your pistol might have had a go at him?

Jason McK
03-22-2005, 05:20 AM
I don't know? There seems to be a slice from it's rear to it's head. but I don't know if it is a natural line in it of a cut. But it's mount was defiantly attacked.

so Can I try yours now HEHE. No I feel bad. I think I'll have to approach my hair algae problem a different way like more frequent water changes and Rowaphose.

J

danny zubot
03-22-2005, 02:45 PM
The only sea hare I ever had lasted about 1 week as well. It didn't really eat the hair algae and I'm not sure why it died. All I know is that it was devoured completely by something in the tank, most likely bristle worms.

Try a lawnmower blennie for your hair algae, much more interesting IMO.

Delphinus
03-22-2005, 03:19 PM
I think lawnmower blennies prefer the algal slime that grows over glass and such; at least mine doesn't seem to do anything about filamentous algae. But he sure keeps that pesky nori from ever getting out of hand. :lol:

I'm not sure what can do in a sea hare. Starvation probably. The first one I had lasted a long time, but he developed a taste for nori, so that probably helped. Eventually there was a run-in with a powerhead, and although it wasn't fatal, it seemed to cause enough distress that the worms did it in overnight. I have another one right now and it doesn't seem to touch the patches of bryopsis (or whatever patchy algae I seem to have in 2-3 spots that just won't go away), and doesn't seem to touch nori. I have no idea on which it is subsisting.

Willow
03-22-2005, 04:36 PM
mine seems to have finished off a 1/4 sheet of nori last night. dang i need to get him off to rikko.

shadowboy
03-22-2005, 09:09 PM
Sea hares are very short lived and most of them are temperate species, coming from cooler waters.
The new "reef invertevretes" book has great information.
tristan

untamed
03-24-2005, 05:50 AM
I thought that sea hares could be bad for the tank if they met their demise. (release of toxins) Not true?

Brad.

Willow
03-24-2005, 05:58 AM
I thought that sea hares could be bad for the tank if they met their demise. (release of toxins) Not true?

Brad.

they only release when they think they are about to be eaten. your thinking of cucumbers.

Rikko
03-24-2005, 07:57 AM
mine seems to have finished off a 1/4 sheet of nori last night. dang i need to get him off to rikko.

I finally got so fed up with one of my algae rocks that I just turned it upside down to give myself the illusion of a nice tank... Found a long buried vermatid snail under it who seems to have weathered the ride!

We should have some corals in the next few days that should be worth a look!

DEAD_BY_DAWN
03-24-2005, 07:59 AM
I finally got so fed up with one of my algae rocks that I just turned it upside down to give myself the illusion of a nice tank You should try that with the rest of your tank :lol: