PDA

View Full Version : My little 2mo old nano.

Matt
03-22-2005, 02:35 AM
After posting to the Edmonton board call for full tank shots, I thought I'd post this here in Nano too.

Your comments are welcomed. Also, if anyone in Edmonton has small frags that they'd like to sell, please PM!

http://members.shaw.ca/ellen.anthony/March2005170.jpg

Regards,
Matthew

christyf5
03-22-2005, 02:39 AM
http://members.shaw.ca/ellen.anthony/March2005170.jpg

You need to make sure that the address is members.shaw.ca not publish.shaw.ca :mrgreen:

Great looking little tank :biggrin: Whats the blur under the firefish?

Christy :)

Murminator
03-22-2005, 02:48 AM
I like those striped shrooms
How many gallons you got there?

Matt
03-22-2005, 03:15 AM
The tank's just 10g. The blur is a speeding ocellaris. There's a reflective background on the tank, and a flash blooms like crazy and whacks contrast and visibility... so I turn the flash off, but anything moving quickly blurs.

It's 10g, hob filter and small powerhead for circulation, 2 20W screw-in PCs.

three blue-leg hermits
two zebra hermits
emerald crab
coral banded shrimp
two nasarius snails
three "spiny" turbo snails (a mistake, I think)
orange firefish
ocellaris clown
a few different mushrooms
xenia (id variety, anyone?)
colt frag (sold as finger leather -- I'm a clueless newbie)
neon green candy frag
small brown zoo frag
small blue/brown zoo frag
what was a very nice yellow polyp colony that's almost completely died off, but is now recovering

Thanks for the tip -- the link worked OK when I viewed it, but I had someone else mention a broken link, so I'll adjust accordingly.

Thanks for the comments -- keep 'em coming!
Matthew

Bob I
03-22-2005, 03:13 PM
I am wondering about the extreme stretching of the polyps and the Xenia. Are they searching for more light I wonder :question:

Matt
03-22-2005, 10:07 PM
I am wondering about the extreme stretching of the polyps and the Xenia. Are they searching for more light I wonder :question:

I'm beginning to wonder if that thing IS xenia... it doesn't look like the photos I can find online. It had that "tall" profile when I bought it at AI (but they also sold me a "finger leather" that is a colt coral at the same time, so I wouldn't be surprised by mis-labelling). The brown zoos had that profile as well when purchased, and have maintained it. The smaller blueish ones (lower) don't seem to have the same tendency.

Still, we've also seen that "reaching" from one of the mushrooms from time to time, and the answer is probably "yes" to the more light question, although the thing is pretty bright, and more light isn't a practical option at the moment. We could move them up higher, but they don't look great perched up high on the LR. Health before beauty, though, right?

Thanks for the comment.

Matthew

BCOrchidGuy
03-24-2005, 05:30 AM
Looks more like Anthelia to me.

Doug

Matt
03-25-2005, 03:41 PM
Looks more like Anthelia to me.

Doug

Thanks! :lol: That helped me find pictures that look right, and I believe you are correct. So, out of three frags purchased that day, two were incorrectly identified :redface: .

Best regards,
Matthew

Corey
03-25-2005, 06:16 PM
Just a heads up, IMO you may want to watch the Anthelia and place somewhere not touching the rock, it grows like a weed and will take over the whole tank in no time.

BCOrchidGuy
03-25-2005, 06:36 PM
Corey is right they grow fast. If you keep it seperate from other rocks it will completely cover the rock it's on in a short while. When you use a wave maker the Anthelia will sway back and forth with the water movement, it was one of my favorite pieces to watch just for that swaying.

Doug

danny zubot
03-28-2005, 09:42 PM
If you have room you could add a little (18 inch 15 watt) actinic bulb over the tank. It would help with the color and light penitration at the bottom of the tank.

Matt
03-29-2005, 12:12 AM
If you have room you could add a little (18 inch 15 watt) actinic bulb over the tank. It would help with the color and light penitration at the bottom of the tank.

I'm going to have to DIY a different canopy to accomplish that. Who makes a light such as you describe?

danny zubot
03-29-2005, 02:16 PM
You can get those little balasts from any Walmart or Canadian tire. The ones that you are supposed to hange over your sink for added light or whatever. They come with a full spectrum bulb though. I paid like $20 for mine then went to the LFS and bought the actinic bulb for it. If you want to pay a bit more you could go straight to the LFS and buy a tiny actinic setup, they make then pretty small now.