PDA

View Full Version : Close call + Ph question

danny zubot
03-21-2005, 02:10 PM
So I'm in the middle of a water change and just when I was about to refill the sump my pump siezed! If it would have siezed before th water change or after I refilled I would have had at least 8 gallons of water on the carpet, close call. The pump was a Rio20hf that I've only had for 1.5 years, and even though I recommended them at the time they don't have a very long life span. I replaced it with a Mag 9.5, its a bit less flow but not by much.

Upon opening up the pump I noticed an abundence of rust and other decaying matter. I wonder if rust was contributing to my high Ph problems lately?

Willow
03-21-2005, 02:35 PM
a rio pump crapped out hey? hmmm.

sorry i have no other insight other than to slam rio.

Beverly
03-21-2005, 02:57 PM
Doubt if the rust has anything to do with your high pH. Your recent big dump of washing and baking sodas does though :confused:

BTW, how often do you folks actually clean out your pumps on a regular basis? While I do not have sumps, the powerheads in my systems get broken down and cleaned in outgoing changewater weekly. Find lots of crud :eek:

danny zubot
03-21-2005, 03:14 PM
Well.....not often. :redface: I guess I should have tended to this pump a lot more. My intank power heads are hard to get to and so was the return pump. Ok, I'm just lazy! How often will Mag pumps need to be cleaned? They are bolted together so its a bit of a chore!

BTW, do you think my Ph will level off naturally or will I need to buy a Ph adjuster?

Beverly
03-21-2005, 03:19 PM
I wouldn't use a pH adjuster, and I don't know how long it will take for your alk and pH to naturally come down. I'd do more water changes to correct the initial mistake, though. Alk and pH that high cannot be good :sad: