PDA

View Full Version : Tastes like chicken!

AndyL
03-21-2005, 04:10 AM
Decided I needed a new picture of him, and what better time to catch an eel - than at dinner time!

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/129320g050320Snowflake.jpg

Delphinus
03-21-2005, 03:54 PM
Cool. Just curious, what size is he at so far? And what size tank is he in?

danny zubot
03-21-2005, 04:05 PM
Nice pic Andy! What else is living in the tank with it?

AndyL
03-22-2005, 12:29 AM
He's currently in my 20g tank, but hopefully will be moving into the new 65g predator tank Mid april ish (Custom stand is being built, need some time and $ to get it all ready) Currently he's about 6-8" long, and around 3/8" diameter.

Here's how the new tank currently looks - borrowing the UGJ system used by the Rift lake folks, so I don't have to hide a bunch of powerheads in the tank + the hardware for the overflow.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/129365g050314startup.jpg

He is currently alone in the tank, when he first went in - he was sharing with a ~2" dragon wrasse, and a 4" dwarf fuzzy lion. The wrasse dissapeared that night (Still haven't found remains) 2 days later the lion was found jamed up under the mount for the skimmer - disemboweled. Talking to some more knowledgeable eel folks, sounds like it was probably a territorial thing - he's now largely taken over that left hand side of the tank (which was the wrasse/lions domain). Not a typical behaviour for a Snowflake, but apparently it happens.

Andy

muck
03-22-2005, 05:08 AM
Great pic Andy!!
What are you feeding the little guy?

AndyL
03-22-2005, 06:02 AM
He eats about a teaspoon of mysis a day (yep all by himself), every week or so I feed him 1-2 freshwater angelfish fry - I have a few thousand to spare LOL. Tonights meal was a peel & eat shrimp - stuffed with a few New Life Spectrum Finicky Fish formula pellets (first three ingredients - mussel, krill herring - he sure didn't spit the shrimp or the pellets out).

If I'm feeling rich, ghost shrimp go on the menu (at .90 each he doesn't get many or often meals of them)..