PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Algae/LR Thread on RC

Beverly
03-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Thought a few folks here might find this thead of interest:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=437342&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

StirCrazy
03-20-2005, 04:04 PM
Good thread Bev, we had a "cooking" one on here a few months ago that linked to the RC one. Very good reading and info, and for anyone that is in the position to have the time to do it cooking LR is a excellent way to renew old rock.

Steve

LostMind
03-20-2005, 06:14 PM
how about for restoring my 300lbs of deepwater tonga I had in my curing tank... which sprung a leak while I was away and dried completly out for a week?

Will it renew that rock well? Or should I just go ahead with my idea to pressure wash it? :)

StirCrazy
03-20-2005, 06:27 PM
how about for restoring my 300lbs of deepwater tonga I had in my curing tank... which sprung a leak while I was away and dried completly out for a week?

Will it renew that rock well? Or should I just go ahead with my idea to pressure wash it? :)

it should work for that two, but you might want to throw a chunk of good rock in with it to kick start the backteria.

Steve

untamed
03-21-2005, 05:53 AM
OMG! What an unimaginably terrible thing to do "Live" rock. In my books LR is much more than just a biological filter..it's a community of life representative of the biosystem of a reef.

I suppose if one has completely killed LR, then what you choose to do with it at that point is meaningless. Put it through the dishwasher, whatever. If you put it back into a tank, it will again function as a bio filter eventually.

StirCrazy
03-21-2005, 12:52 PM
OMG! What an unimaginably terrible thing to do "Live" rock. In my books LR is much more than just a biological filter..it's a community of life representative of the biosystem of a reef.

I suppose if one has completely killed LR, then what you choose to do with it at that point is meaningless. Put it through the dishwasher, whatever. If you put it back into a tank, it will again function as a bio filter eventually.

um, what the heck are you talking about?

Steve

LostMind
03-21-2005, 02:25 PM
hey untamed...

the guy bomber who presented the idea to RC even claims he's had corals live thru the process. So it sounds to me like its not as bad as you make it sound...

StirCrazy
03-22-2005, 01:24 AM

your not realy cooking it as in an oven, you are letting it clear its self of unwanted debris ect in total darkness.

Steve

Aquattro
03-22-2005, 02:27 AM
your not realy cooking it as in an oven..

hmm...3 or 4 hours in the self-clean cycle would solve the dinos issue..... :razz:

StirCrazy
03-22-2005, 12:42 PM
your not realy cooking it as in an oven..

hmm...3 or 4 hours in the self-clean cycle would solve the dinos issue..... :razz:

true. :mrgreen:

Steve