PDA

View Full Version : What is it?

Noj
03-20-2005, 03:46 AM
Hey everyone, I dont have a pic of this thing....YET.

But I will do my best to describe it. It moves only in the dark (crossed my tank in the pitch black, I am assuming at least, because today I can see one arm/leg/tentacle/something peaking out of a crack on the other side of the tank). It is a dark green in color, it has a bunch or arms/legs, at least 4 or 5, haven't seen them all, but have seen them poking out of 4 different cracks in the rock. It almost looks as though it would be a star fish, but it moves way too quickly. Legs kind of look like a fern.

Hope someone can explain this? My tank is cycling right now and this thingy obviously came in with my live rock.

A few other things I'd like you all to identify, but I wont ask those questions until I capture a picture of this little creeper.

sumpfinfishe
03-20-2005, 04:28 AM
Sounds like a mantis shrimp to me :eek: , although it could be shrimp or crab. I would suggest building a trap or buying one from your LFS to trap whatever it is, as your just starting the tank it will be much easier to catch whatever it is now rather than later. If you don't have any fish in the system I wouldn't add any at least until you identify what it is. The last thing you want is a hungry mantis and a new clown or goby in the same space.

You could also search the DIY forum here and on RC, where you will find great threads on how to build traps, simply search the word "trap".

Goodluck and if you can, try to get a snapshot even if you have to use the flash on your camera.

Sorry didn't see the word "starfish" in the last sentence, maybe you have nothing to worry about after all, first trap the sucker or at least get a picture before adding anything else to the tank tho :biggrin:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-20-2005, 04:29 AM
Sounds like hitch-hiker brittlestars.

Anthony

Tarolisol
03-20-2005, 05:16 AM
I think bristle star serpent star as well.

Noj
03-20-2005, 05:50 AM
If it is this bristle star, do I have anything to worry about?

My lights are off in the tank now, so I am keeping an eye out to see if I can catch her in the act!!

If so, how do I post pictures?

Tarolisol
03-20-2005, 05:54 AM
Bristle stars are fine for the tank, i have a rather large one in mine. to post the pic you would have to upload it to a host site.

Noj
03-20-2005, 06:01 AM
Okay, so I got a picture...dont know yet how it will turn out.

Where do I find a host site?

Aquattro
03-20-2005, 06:02 AM
If it is this bristle star, do I have anything to worry about?

Green brittle stars have been known to catch and consume fish. They are very fast, and great hunters. Remove it.

Noj
03-20-2005, 06:04 AM
Okay, thanks Brad

I dont know if this is one though, it is definately NOT fast...or it is very decieving.

I flicked the light on to get a picture and it took about 10-15 seconds for it to move back an inch or so under the rock.

But i'm trying to load up a picture now

Aquattro
03-20-2005, 06:06 AM
But i'm trying to load up a picture now

Did you read my sticky post on how to do that?

Noj
03-20-2005, 06:11 AM
I did, thank you...
I found it after I asked the question...

if this works, then your instructions were awesome!
If it doesnt work, I am a poor reader.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1676starsomething2.jpg

Noj
03-20-2005, 06:12 AM
wahoo

Thanks Brad.

Aquattro
03-20-2005, 06:14 AM
and stop undoing my fix!!! :biggrin:

Noj
03-20-2005, 06:15 AM
LOL

I didnt realise you were doing anything, I just kept going back in and trying something different!

Thanks alot!!!

Aquattro
03-20-2005, 06:16 AM
you need to remove everything after the .jpg in the path. Go look at wht it looks like now, and you'll see what I mean.

Noj
03-20-2005, 06:27 AM
stupid skim reading!

Thanks alot, very useful

I just got another pic of it...
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1676Bristle-med.jpg

Aquattro
03-20-2005, 06:41 AM
looks like some kind of star, but kinda thick for a brittle star. Grab it, put it in a bucket and take a new pic! :razz:

Noj
03-20-2005, 06:52 AM
I am currently searching for a DIY trap...

I dont really want to reach in there just yet if I can find a reason to build a trap!

any ideas?

Aquattro
03-20-2005, 07:10 AM
I'd just grab it. If your nervous about that, grab some tongs or something. Rubber gloves maybe.
You could try baiting a tupperware container, wait for it to go in...

LostMind
03-20-2005, 07:17 AM
I'd just grab it man. its not a thumbsplitter (aka mantis)...

Noj
03-20-2005, 08:03 PM
haha, I am not worried about a sting or anything like that, I just wanted a reason to build a trap and see if it would work.

I gave up looking for a DIY trap for this particular creature. And I dont know where he is now...

Tonight I will hunt! Pictures to be posted when I catch her/him/it.