PDA

View Full Version : Need some suggestions...

Majestic_Aquariums
03-18-2005, 04:17 PM
I am looking for an electrical motor (preferrably small) that needs to do a few things:
Apporx. 40 rpm
geared-need some torque here
reversable
I shaft long enough to hold 2 pulleys

I want to use it to raise a hood/reflector inside a large canopy. I have checked Princess Auto, and can't quite find what I need. I can buy and gut a small appliance if needed, but am a bit stumped here. It would be a cool touch if it is at all possible, as any suggestions would be really cool!

ANYONE?

Richer
03-18-2005, 04:33 PM
*edit* Nevermind, I just reread your post... stupid me :rolleyes:

-Rich

trilinearmipmap
03-18-2005, 04:45 PM
My suggestion would be skip the motor and set up a pulley system with counterweight to effortlessly raise and lower it.

Majestic_Aquariums
03-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Yeah, that may be a good option. (the most practical, for sure) I will already have the cables and pulleys set up.

The other trick is space for the counterweight/cables. There are side cabinets, but TONNES of plumbing, electrical, etc.

May be the only feasable option though. I knew that someone else would have a good idea.
Thanks

Any other suggestions?

kuatto
03-18-2005, 08:51 PM
What about a bbq rotisarie(sp?)motor?

Majestic_Aquariums
03-18-2005, 08:58 PM
Great idea-only thing is, I have to find out if they are reversible-our's isn't.
But that makes TOTAL sense.
Thanks
Rob

dbdavid
03-18-2005, 09:10 PM
Have a look at this linear actuator.

http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=14588+HD

Just another idea.

Dave

danny zubot
03-18-2005, 09:20 PM
What about a garage door opener motor? Too big?

BCOrchidGuy
03-18-2005, 10:40 PM
My rotisserie motor from Rona is reversable, you have to shut it off and then back on to reverse it, it's the 3rd one I've purchased that's been like that.

Doug

Majestic_Aquariums
03-18-2005, 10:43 PM
Thanks Dave, that would work I think, but better run that one by the customer. He's already spending a fortune!

Danny, the garage door opener could work, but might be too big. Good thinkin though. They maybe have a limit switch in them or something? I don't know for sure.

I sure can't say you guys aren't helping me here. Anyone know where to get a motor for an R/C car? BeerMaster and FishManTy reccommended those as well.

Majestic_Aquariums
03-18-2005, 10:45 PM
Rona you say? Cool. I think we have a winner, folks. All I need to do now is get a couple pulleys on it!
Awesome
Thanks so much
Rob

BCOrchidGuy
03-19-2005, 01:26 AM
Rob mine is an egg shaped motor and I believe it's the Onward name brand. I was thinking about trying it as a wave maker/power head motion control but we'll see.... bbq season in BC never ends... speaking of which... steaks are ready to go on.

Doug

StirCrazy
03-19-2005, 02:43 PM
Rona you say? Cool. I think we have a winner, folks. All I need to do now is get a couple pulleys on it!
Awesome
Thanks so much
Rob

or you could do a hand crank with a removable handle.

Steve

Majestic_Aquariums
03-19-2005, 05:06 PM
Yeah, that would be easier, just not sure where to get the hardware-like a hand winch I guess, small enough to fit, and willing to lock in both directions. The one thing I worry about is the slight possiblity of the handle slipping out of your hand, causing the lights to come crashing down onto the tank.
Might have to try and see if that could happen or not. Thanks for your help!
Rob

StirCrazy
03-20-2005, 01:11 AM
How heavy is the light rack going to be? a simple dowl with the rope attached to it so it winds areound the dowel will work great. then have a pin to lock it in position from the handle end.

Steve

AndyL
03-20-2005, 01:28 AM
I'd second the garage door opener (if you don't mind old - I may even be able to chase one down for ya for pretty much free).

Size wise, you're talking the box at the end of the rail - roughly 12x10x8" (that could even be pared down some if you removed the cover and ancillary junk). you'd have limit switches. And Dave would probably have a hoot with the remote :)

Andy