PDA

View Full Version : Question about zoos

kuatto
03-18-2005, 05:20 AM
I've read a couple of differant stories on which surface zoos spread faster on.Some say just plan old reef plugs,while some say smooth surfaces.Anyone notice differant growth rates on when using differant surfaces?I have some real nice peach/pink,reds,and orange with high yellow skirts that I am tring to growout for future fragging project.

megatron_55
03-18-2005, 08:00 AM
In my experience . . . depending what kind of zoo's they are . . . some grow alot faster than others . . . the surface doesn't really matter I don't think . . . They've been thriving in my tank and I've manage to grow them on acrilics, plugs, ANY LR and even aquarium glass . . . oh and dead corals. . . w/o using and glue whatsover . . . just elastic bands :biggrin: But as for the growth . . . Like I said certain zoo's grow faster than others but not because of the surface that they're growing on . .

Bob I
03-18-2005, 03:57 PM
The above reply seems quite correct. Growth is something that varies with the individual zoanthid. The orange with the green skirt may have come from here. If that is the one, it will spread fast on anything. I have a couple of others that were fragged a year ago, and I am still waiting for them show any decent spread. I have used a varitey of materials ranging from Agrocrete to chunks of rock. I find no differences in growth rates. :eek:

Murminator
03-18-2005, 04:02 PM
Just do whatever to keep those peach and yellows coming :mrgreen:

Marcus K
03-18-2005, 04:42 PM
How do you make the coral plugs? I have saw them used and would like to try make some for zoo frags.

Fish
03-18-2005, 08:05 PM
How do you make the coral plugs? I have saw them used and would like to try make some for zoo frags.

Whatever recipe you use, please don't put oyster shells in the mix - have never cursed as much as I have trying to cut frags off of a plug with crushed shells in it :razz: . I like frags that are mounted on nice soft live rock chunks. I have read before that established live rock has a biofilm on it that might repel or slow the spread of zoos (don't know if there;s any truth to it).
The substance I use for my own corals is tufa rock. It is cheaper than homemade plugs ($0.40 lb), doesn't look fake, and is easy to cut through with a razor blade without damaging the coral. JME.

- Chad

kuatto
03-18-2005, 08:59 PM
:mrgreen: I'm doing this for you Murray :razz: .The mother coloney has recovered nicely with a few extra peach zoos.The reds and the yellow with orange centres are doing well also.
Bob,those are the ones I got from you(I thought they were "sunset zoos")
I get the same "ooooooh..I want some of those" :mrgreen: I had all I could do to keep old Murray from diving in :razz: