PDA

View Full Version : CC or Argonite?

SJSobczyk
03-17-2005, 09:44 PM
Good Afternoon,

I was recently considering replacing my CC with argonite. So i went over to jlaquatics and saw Argamax Sugar Sand. Has anyone had experiences with this? Or should i look at Argamax select? How should i go about changing my CC to argonite? Or should i just put it on top of the CC that is already there?

Please let me know what you think
Thanks
SJS

Aquattro
03-17-2005, 09:49 PM
In switching beds, I always recommend changing about 1/3 per month. This gives the new third a chance to grow the proper quantities of bacteria.
As for which sand to use, or should you, there is more info than you could read in a year on the subject. Sugar sand is popular for deep sand beds, which have become less popular lately. It also blows around if you have excessive flow. The aragamax select is a bit heavier, and acts the same in deeper sand beds. Some people have gone bare bottom, or other methods of covering the bottom glass.

Cap'n
03-18-2005, 03:59 AM
Most will agree that you should get rid of the crushed coral.

Suggestions of what you do after that will vary incredibly with everyone you ask. There is a wealth of information and debate posted on the substrate subject on this and many other saltwater aquarium forums.

Do a search and read what others have already said about it. Might be the best way to decide.

I switched to sand a few years ago. Straining all the CC out of the sand was a pain, but well worth it ,IMO.

SJSobczyk
03-18-2005, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I know i am going to switch it out to some other kind of sand i just havent put my finger on it yet. I have read read and read some more and everything i read says "remove the CC"!

Thanks
SJS

danny zubot
03-18-2005, 08:33 PM
I'm still in the process of straining out CC from my sand. The more I take ou the better the sandbed looks. I'm not sure if there are any biological benifits to one type or the other but I do know this, my conch prefers to clean the aragonite over the crushed coral.

SJSobczyk
03-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Cheapest place to find Argamax Select 30 lb Sand??

Pisces: $75
Big Al's: $50
JLAquatics: $55.42 (incl shipping)

Anyone know of anywhere cheaper??

Thanks
SJS

richtg
03-21-2005, 10:07 PM
I've bought mine bulk from Danny @ WAI's. A 50lb bag is about the same price. The only drawback is that you might have to sift out about 5% of considerably larger particles if you want it to be uniform. Rich.

SJSobczyk
03-23-2005, 05:01 PM
Ok another question....

I have read in a couple of other forums that Play Sand from Home Depot is ok to use in a SW aquarium. Also, that it is the same sand that any other fish store sells, but at a fraction of the price. True or am i way off here??

Thanks
SJS

muck
03-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Ok another question....

I have read in a couple of other forums that Play Sand from Home Depot is ok to use in a SW aquarium. Also, that it is the same sand that any other fish store sells, but at a fraction of the price. True or am i way off here??

Thanks
SJS
Only if the playsand is Southdown or Newcastle brand.
Which you will only find in the eastern states.

SJSobczyk
03-23-2005, 05:16 PM
We always get shafted as canadians!!

Thanks though,
SJS

takphan
03-24-2005, 03:56 AM
We always get shafted as canadians!!

there is rumor that there will be one "Super Americas" which consist of
Canada, US and Mexico :)

then it will be lot cheaper for shopping on-line for coral

Tak