PDA

View Full Version : Heat pack for shipping

Willito
03-17-2005, 03:26 AM
Where in Calgary can a guy get some heat packs? And Styrophone boxes as well.

EmilyB
03-17-2005, 04:52 AM
Styrofoam boxes...

Possibly lots of us reefers have some. I've tossed a bunch lately but maybe someone close to you has some.

You can get the ski gloves heat packs and tape them to the top of the styrofoam container.

Willito
03-17-2005, 01:44 PM
You can get the ski gloves heat packs and tape them to the top of the styrofoam container.

What are those? Where can I find them? Thx.

dennenboom
03-17-2005, 01:49 PM
Usually Canadian Tire, or some camping store. MEC & believe has the heat packs but not the styro box.

Nemain
03-17-2005, 02:17 PM
you can buy heat packs online at Canadian Feeders. They are pretty cheap, and reusable.

Beth

geopod
03-17-2005, 02:21 PM
Actually heat packs can be found at Zellers in the sporting goods depatrment.I use them when transporting fish and corals.I actualy just finished shipping all my livestock to Edmonton from Halifax.And I used the heatpacks I bought from zellers.And styro boxes.I hit fish stores that afgter they get their stock in they throw out the boxes.

Willito
03-17-2005, 02:34 PM
Great, thanks y'all. :biggrin:

ABreefkpr
03-19-2005, 09:02 PM
you can buy heat packs online at Canadian Feeders. They are pretty cheap, and reusable.

Beth

What do you need to do to them in order to re-use them?

geopod
03-19-2005, 09:17 PM
All you do is boil water and stick them in to warm them back up.I reuse mine all the time and 2 yrs later they are still working.I must have 30-40 of them now.And they work great.

AndyL
03-19-2005, 11:11 PM
golds has been known to sell the occasional one to people headed back to edmonton.

I'd stay away from the heat warmers - they really aren't meant for shipping, most last at best 6hrs - when was the last time your package arrived in 6 hours?

Andy

ABreefkpr
03-20-2005, 01:36 AM
All you do is boil water and stick them in to warm them back up.I reuse mine all the time and 2 yrs later they are still working.I must have 30-40 of them now.And they work great.

Boil them?
UniHeat package list contents as: Iron powder, water, active carbon, vermiculite, wood powder and salt.
If it's that easy I'll keep all of mine too.

geopod
03-20-2005, 02:19 AM
You boil the water and turn the burner off and then place the heat pacs in the water but dont boil the water with the heat pacs in it.

AndyL
03-20-2005, 02:25 AM
So then how do you dry them and keep the air off them so they don't re-activate?

I'm really wondering if we aren't talking two different types of heat packs here... I have never heard of reusing the dry chemical types.

Andy

geopod
03-20-2005, 02:39 AM
Andy I think you are thinking of the heatpacs that we used to have when I was a kid called HOTSHOTS.they are little heat pacs that fit into your gloves or boots.The ones I am talking about are Perma Gel.You can use it as a heat pac or cold pac.by throwing it in the freezer. It is made by micro ban.Approx.size of the bag is 6"by 6"So I was reading the earlier reply and it seems you guys are talking about the hotshots.Not these ones.

AndyL
03-20-2005, 02:46 AM
That's what I thought... Most of the heat packs used in aquaria are the single use chemical air activated ones.

Andy

Murminator
03-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Andy I think you are thinking of the heatpacs that we used to have when I was a kid called HOTSHOTS.they are little heat pacs that fit into your gloves or boots.The ones I am talking about are Perma Gel.You can use it as a heat pac or cold pac.by throwing it in the freezer. It is made by micro ban.Approx.size of the bag is 6"by 6"So I was reading the earlier reply and it seems you guys are talking about the hotshots.Not these ones.

AHHHHHH tanks for the clarify I was thinking of Hotshots also. Forgot about those gel type packs :redface: