PDA

View Full Version : sump sand

medican
03-17-2005, 02:42 AM
hi......

Does a deep sand bed in the sump need to be lit for nitrate consumtion?

Thanks......... :biggrin:

Fish
03-17-2005, 05:35 AM
Nope, light is not necessary for the anerobic nitrate-reducing benefits of a dsb. The only reason you would light your sump is if you were going to keep macro algae in there as well, which I do, which I think is a pretty good idea... if I do say so myself :razz:

- Chad

muck
03-17-2005, 05:39 AM
Nope, light is not necessary for the anerobic nitrate-reducing benefits of a dsb. The only reason you would light your sump is if you were going to keep macro algae in there as well, which I do, which I think is a pretty good idea... if I do say so myself :razz:

- Chad
I agree with Chad.

Macro Algae in your sump works wonders on keeping the unwanted algae out of your display tank. :cool:

danny zubot
03-17-2005, 04:25 PM
I'd be careful with sand in the sump. I found that the waste gathers in it and actualy causes a nitrate problem, unless you do grow macro algae with it. You also run the risk of sucking sand into your pump if its not setup properly. IMO, they aren't worth the extra work.

Fish
03-17-2005, 05:01 PM
I probably should have added that my sump is barebottom too - just live rock and macro algae sitting on a glass bottom. Water changes and cleanup is a cinch, just syphon the junk off the bottom and your done. Not really nitrate consumption - more like nitrate prevention.

- Chad