PDA

View Full Version : Cerith snails

Doug
03-14-2005, 10:52 PM
Do those of you that have mechanical filtration in your sumps, have tp pick the Cerith snails from the floss, before discarding and replacing it?

Or do you find them in your sump?

Mine are always in the overflows, on the overflows grates and in the sump floss. I usually pick several out, everytime I change it, which is about twice/week/

Willow
03-14-2005, 11:22 PM
mine are pretty good about staying in the tank, the astreas on the otherhand party down the overflow all the time.

clownchick22
03-14-2005, 11:33 PM
I find that my Astrea snails always climb to the very top of the tank's rim, and inch thier way onto the powerhead chords :eek: Hopefully they won't climb out!

EmilyB
03-14-2005, 11:38 PM
My ceriths always seem to disappear....maybe they are in the overflow or something :confused:

That reminds me of those snails that were being sold at one time...can't remember what they were called. But they were always on the outside of the tank or I'd find them dried up in a different room altogether. :lol:

Rikko
03-15-2005, 12:16 AM
Nerites and Periwinkle snails are little buggers for climbing out all the time. I finally threw some peris into my surge and they seem pretty happy with the tides.

Doug
03-15-2005, 02:03 PM
For a snail thats so highly touted on many boards, esp. with the barebottom craze, as the greatest poop cleaner upper there is, it seems they spend all their time on the glass or in the overflows and such.

I remember buying some a few years ago. When I seen how small they were, I thought, what the heck. After most disappeared, I said never again would I purchase those.

But they are pushed so much by others, along with astrea snails, {which I also dont like}, I thought I would try again. Added 50 a couple months ago.

Still seem to have most of them, but as my posts mention, seem pretty useless to me. :lol:

Aquattro
03-15-2005, 02:16 PM
Doug, my ceriths always stayed near the edge of the sand bed, and hardly ever climbed the glass.
Now I had several hundred snails that looked like tiny ceriths last year, and those were in everything. I run floss in my overlfow and there would be dozens in there every time I cleaned it out. Maybe you have those? My real ceriths are about an inch long, while these others were half that or less.
As for astreas, they're the only snails I'll get now. Maybe 2 or 3 turbos, but primarily astrea.

danny zubot
03-15-2005, 02:20 PM
I have cerith which spend most of their time on the glass, and these tiny unknown snails (that mutilply) that spend most of the night on the rocks. Only the baby snails end up in my sump but never in the sponges. I'll post a pic of the babies tommorow, maybe I'll get an ID.

Doug
03-15-2005, 02:29 PM
Hmmmm, interesting guys. Perhaps more than one type. Must look into that.

danny zubot
03-15-2005, 02:42 PM
Perhaps my reply isn't accurate. The back two walls of my corner tank are 50% covered with green coraline algae and maybe 25% purple now. Now that I think of it I only see them on these walls never on the front pane which is clean. I guess the bottom line is that the snails will go to where the easiest access to food is.

AJ_77
03-15-2005, 03:03 PM
The few Cerith I have are rarely seen, and sometimes I forget I have them. (Thanks for the reminder.) :lol:

I'm with Brad on the Astreas though, they rock.

muck
03-15-2005, 03:09 PM
I pulled out all the ceriths I had because they always seemed to end up in the overflow box. Maybe because they were the only snails I had that were small enough to fit through the eggcrate guard. Who knows... :confused: