PDA

View Full Version : What eats caulerpa?

Richer
03-14-2005, 05:44 PM
I have grape caulerpa in my tank and I'm seriously getting sick and tired of it. I prune it back as often as I can, only to have it come back laughing at me. Is there anything out there that will eat it?

-Rich

muck
03-14-2005, 05:59 PM
A small Foxface will make short work of it...
but you would need to have a bigger tank for him once the caulerpa is gone.

I also believe most tangs would eat it as well.
Im not sure of any fish that would be great for a 33 though.

Richer
03-14-2005, 06:03 PM
Hm... what if I just borrow a foxface? You think having a foxface in tank for a few days will do any harm to it?

-Rich

muck
03-14-2005, 06:05 PM
That would be an idea... if you can find one that someone will loan you.
Id loan you mine if I had one... :mrgreen:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-14-2005, 06:11 PM
You could also send your LR on a vacation to someone else's tank for their macro-eating fish to polish off, & then trade it back. A mutually symbiotic relationship :biggrin: They'll end up with fat, happy fish & you'll have caulerpa-free LR again.

Anthony

PS. Personally, my wife & I like having macro growing in our tanks for the natural look & natural nutrient exporting properties.

Richer
03-14-2005, 06:18 PM
I like macro algae too, I just finished setting up a viewable fuge, which I hope will be packed with various macro algaes really soon. Problem with the caulerpa in my main display tank isn't that its ugly, but the fact that its starting to smother my corals :evil:

-Rich

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-14-2005, 06:39 PM
Yeah, last time that happened I decided to harvest most of my grape out of my 35g hex but stupid me, I started at 12:30 in the morning. By the time I finished with the trimming & the rearranging, it was after 3am. :rolleyes:

Anthony

bulletsworld
03-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Hey Rich,

if you can pull a bunch off your rocks I would be glad to take some off your hands. My tangs LOVE grape caulerpa, I was actually thinking of asking people if anyone had some. Let me know and I can come pick up. My yellow tang especially gobbles it up like no tomorrow.

Tarolisol
03-15-2005, 03:41 AM
TANGS, not a sliver of calerpa will surive in my tank.

danny zubot
03-15-2005, 02:29 PM
What about a lawnmower blennie? Do they only eat hair algae or will they eat macro too?

muck
03-15-2005, 02:53 PM
I think he has a Lawnmower already.
My guess it that he doesn't care for the Caleurpa then.. :razz: