PDA

View Full Version : jawfish in Edmonton

cindyt
03-13-2005, 09:53 PM
I saw some of these today at Aquarium Illusions,in QT but he has maybe 9-10,a few already spoken for.Thought Id let y'all know in case anyone is still looking for one :)

Richer
03-13-2005, 11:13 PM
One of the workers at AI told me that the yellow heads would probably go for 60-70 bucks :eek: .

I was at Big Al's an hour ago and they have a couple of jawfish left. They weren't yellowheads, but at 26 bucks a pop, I'm not going to complain. They labelled them as "Giant Jawfish" but after some searching, they definately aren't giant jawfish... maybe a variety of dusky.

-Rich

bulletsworld
03-15-2005, 06:00 AM
Thanks for telling us Cindy!

I seen a baby yellowheaded jaw fish at Koi's Fish Store here in Edmonton. Did you know they have Salt? :eek: Very little. Anyway the jawfish was only $39.99! :eek: I was so wanting to him but he was already sold. Bummer!

megatron_55
03-15-2005, 06:35 AM
Wow!! $40!! I thought I overpayed when I got the little dude for $25! :eek:

bulletsworld
03-15-2005, 06:43 AM
Wow!! $40!! I thought I overpayed when I got the little dude for $25! :eek:

:lol: :lol: thats only cause your in B.C. Jawfish down here are always at high demand and are usually ALWAYS expensive. Crazy hey! I know... :cry:

When I was in B.C my eyes poped out, I wanted to buy tons of fish and bring them back the different was SO much cheaper then here.

cindyt
03-15-2005, 02:13 PM
Youre totally welcome :) ANd ya,Edmonton is crazy...they KNOW they can jab ya,so they do..darn cute fish tho! :biggrin:

Medicdude
03-16-2005, 05:53 PM
What some people seem to forget is that when saltwater shipments come in from Indonesia, Phillipines, Hawaii, etc. they go through Vancouver first (Because Vancouver is a major port). To get them anywhere outside of Vancouver they have to be put on another plane and shipped there. That means there will be additional shipping and handling charges as well as the possibility of more DOA, hence the higher prices. Please take this into consideration before jumping the gun and thinking the local stores are out to jab you.....

bulletsworld
03-16-2005, 06:37 PM
Yes, very well said and definitely something we tend to forget. I agree.

On the otherhand its sure good to have someone spot out a deal & tell us. Thanks Cindy for telling us! :wink:

I'm so now looking for a Jaw Fish after taking care of a fellow reefers....His Jawfish is SOOOoOooOo small & SOoOoooO absolutely adorable! :mrgreen:

cindyt
03-17-2005, 02:56 AM
Lee-went by Kois today(had to see it after you mentioned it :),and theyre supposedly getting some more in about a week and a half...40.00 he thinks...hope you find one too,theyre stinking adorable!

Ryan
03-17-2005, 04:03 AM
What some people seem to forget is that when saltwater shipments come in from Indonesia, Phillipines, Hawaii, etc. they go through Vancouver first (Because Vancouver is a major port). To get them anywhere outside of Vancouver they have to be put on another plane and shipped there. That means there will be additional shipping and handling charges as well as the possibility of more DOA, hence the higher prices. Please take this into consideration before jumping the gun and thinking the local stores are out to jab you.....

Then why the hell is J&L selling them for so much huh.

mr_alberta
03-17-2005, 04:23 AM
Lee-went by Kois today(had to see it after you mentioned it :),and theyre supposedly getting some more in about a week and a half...40.00 he thinks...hope you find one too,theyre stinking adorable!

Does the Koi Shop still try to sell people Valonia (Bubble Algae)?

Medicdude
03-17-2005, 04:37 AM
Ryan I guess you'll have to ask them

cindyt
03-17-2005, 05:00 AM
OMG-yes,told me my tang would eat it :eek:

muck
03-17-2005, 05:05 AM
Do they still have that pig running around the store..?? :confused:

Richer
03-17-2005, 05:07 AM
How about that guy with the really bad teeth? Is he still around?

-Rich

cindyt
03-17-2005, 05:14 AM
LoL-no,no pig,but they did have a humongous iguana strolling...And oh yes,the fellow with um...bad teeth...well,lol...yes,hes still there....

mr_alberta
03-17-2005, 05:15 AM
I thought the bad teeth guy was the owner?!

They had a pig running around? Cool. I guess if AI can have a dog, they can have a pig. If I ever open a store, I think I'm gonna have a chicken running around...

muck
03-17-2005, 05:19 AM
They had a pig running around? Cool. I guess if AI can have a dog, they can have a pig. If I ever open a store, I think I'm gonna have a chicken running around...
and a duck? :mrgreen: :lol:

Richer
03-17-2005, 05:23 AM
When I was there a few years back, the snobby chinese dude behind the counter was the owner... I heard that someone bought his store though.

That guy with the bad teeth scared me... the way that he would show off his teeth when he talked... and the way he tried arguing to me that UGF filters were infinately better than canisters in every way :eek:

-Rich

cindyt
03-17-2005, 05:26 AM
Try having him flirt with you....... :eek:

Richer
03-17-2005, 05:29 AM
Oh gawd, if he did that I'd run away puking.... though he did try it on my gf. She refuses to go near that place anymore, which doesn't matter to me, because I decided that a couple years ago :razz:

-Rich

mr_alberta
03-17-2005, 05:29 AM

Been there, done that :eek:

j/k

cindyt
03-17-2005, 05:30 AM
Tell you what tho,I learned a great lesson--I may be short and half ass old,but my legs can still move me pretty fast when needed :biggrin:

muck
03-17-2005, 05:30 AM

j/k

http://www.muiscontrols.com/ryan/lol2.gif

Richer
03-17-2005, 05:32 AM

j/k

Bawhahahahaha :lol:

-Rich

bulletsworld
03-18-2005, 08:51 AM

You too hey! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah had the pleasure of going there for first time in years to help a new reefer who is moving into Edmonton from boarding his stuff there. EEK!

But this guy (won't say name) from the store with the teeth, really bad breath, as I played dumb about the hobby, I had to grab my head and roll my eyes when he told me how great there tanks are. Even though he told me its "Dory" in the tank as also written on the glass. But when I told him it was not a dory & a Alantic Blue Tang he told me no, it was just a blue one, claiming it came is as a blue tang. In fact its a Alantic Blue Tang (beautiful). And Hello buddy "Dory" in finding nemo movie is a REGAL tang. There nemo was a Clark clown. :rolleyes:

Also as the stores favorite coral is Algae in all there tanks, :lol: the guy when I asked why it smelled in the place told me they just had a huge paint thinner spill. NICE! :eek: Then when I asked him why there was no filter in the boarding tank like the others, he told me they found out later it was leaking electrical current & gave them quite the zap! :eek:

Little did they know I was going in there next day to help another new reefer get his stuff outta there. Yup, its safe and sound in my tank now. Us reefers gotta stick together I figure.

The owners there are an older lady & her husband. They told me they bought the place from the old grumpy chinese guy almost two years ago. I kinda felt sorry for them though as the owner admitted they know little about saltwater & thinking of tearing it down to make it a snake room. I felt inclined to volunteer my services if they needed help, which she said she did, but now I'm pondering it. :eek: