PDA

View Full Version : WTB Larger Damsel

EmilyB
03-13-2005, 03:42 AM
So how often does that come up.... :lol:

I want a dither fish for my 67g....everyone in there is so timid.

Before I buy one....just wanted to check.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-13-2005, 03:48 AM
Always gotta be the trendsetter, eh. :lol:

BMW Rider
03-13-2005, 04:45 PM
I would consider letting one of the two (or both :lol: )I have in my FO go to a new home. I am beginning to think that the pair together are just too aggressive. One is a Domino the other is a Jewel, the Domino is certainly the bigger and meaner of the pair, but the Jewel was quite a terrorist before the Domino got bigger than it. I have a Coral Beauty Angel in QT right now to go in there, and I'm a bit concerned about it since it seems to be quite shy.

EmilyB
03-13-2005, 06:49 PM
Hmmm, so maybe this bears a little more discussion.

I need a fish that will bring the other fish out of the rock, not keep them in there. There's a coral beauty and tang in there that only come out behind the trigger when he gets brave enough (and he's pretty chicken). Maybe I am wrong in the damsel choice then ? :confused:

It can't be too small of a fish because there is a 6" grouper in there.

Any opinions?

Pansy-Paws
03-13-2005, 08:27 PM
From observations of our Blue Devil, I'd say that a damsel might result in your objective being met.

Our Blue Devil typically lies in wait amongst the crevices and caves and darts out whenever another fish wanders by. During the day, the other fish try to stay as far away as possible, so if the damsel chooses a given cave for it's standard staging point, the other fish will go elsewhere.

I think it all depends on whether the damsel takes ownership of the rock structure you're wanting to get cleared out, or selects another spot. Our damsel suffers from "little dog syndrome", so even a substantial size differential shouldn't be a problem for an aggressive damsel.

Doug
03-13-2005, 08:29 PM
Chromis are good for dither fish, Deb.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-14-2005, 12:57 AM
Chromis are also tasty grouper snacks :eating:

EmilyB
03-14-2005, 01:42 AM
Would a tomato clown work....???

BMW Rider
03-14-2005, 01:54 AM
It can't be too small of a fish because there is a 6" grouper in there

No wonder they're all afraid to come out of the rocks :eek:

My Domino damsel tends to hold domain over the open water in the tank while the Jewel (blue spotted devil) keeps the all rock for itself. They mostly have a few spats at feeding time, but sometimes one of them will take a run at the other one just to remind who's turf is who's. I will have to shake up the whole tank to introduce the angel when its ready, unless you change your mind about one of them. :biggrin: Probably even then.

EmilyB
03-14-2005, 04:15 AM
No wonder they're all afraid to come out of the rocks :eek:

Well this was our first thought as well, :lol: however, they were all fine together until the display tank. When the grouper is out eating pellets, they all hang around together so I just don't get it.

Jim Barry
03-15-2005, 02:38 AM
Deb,

A Tomato Clown is a great idea....... I know someone who is giving one away !!!! :mrgreen:

EmilyB
03-15-2005, 02:45 AM
:rolleyes: :razz:

Doug
03-15-2005, 01:28 PM
Chromis are also tasty grouper snacks :eating:

Oops, I missed the grouper. :lol:

EmilyB
05-09-2005, 05:41 AM
Update:

The first thing I did, and I knew I had to do it soon anyway, was find a home for the grouper. He went into Pisces display tank.

Nothing changed. All the fish hid because my trigger is a yellow-bellied black blotch.

so..

We had some damsel applications, and BMW's seemed to fit the bill. :mrgreen:

He seems to have fit in very well. He used to abuse a coral beauty, now he has one much larger than him riding his butt... he's sucking up to the trigger, and all the fish are out and visible. :mrgreen: :cool:

BMW Rider
05-09-2005, 01:46 PM
Glad to hear that the damsel is doing good in his new home. Just the environment he needed to keep him in line.