PDA

View Full Version : Seio

Corey
03-12-2005, 06:27 AM
How many people are using seio's, Im really contemplating buying two 1500's for my 90 gal. How do you like them? what kind of flowdo they produce, any photos or videos would be greatly appreciated.

Willow
03-12-2005, 06:50 AM
i have a seio 1500 on my 90 and it kicks out a buttload of current. its bloody big though, if i had the money i would have bought a tunze.

StirCrazy
03-12-2005, 03:28 PM
i have a seio 1500 on my 90 and it kicks out a buttload of current. its bloody big though, if i had the money i would have bought a tunze.

now why the tunze over the seio? or are you talking about the biger tunze? depending on the price I can't see there being to much difference between the SEIO 1500 and the TUNZE 6060.

Steve

Willow
03-12-2005, 03:37 PM
3 reasons.

1. size
2. lower power consumption
3. the seio is made by rio who has a horrible track record making powerheads.

chwkreefer
03-12-2005, 04:50 PM
3 reasons.

1. size

Here's a quote from the following link http://reefshow.com/html/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=68

The SEIO Super Flow is NOT my RIO's Son! In fact, gone is the scary oil encapsulated motor. In addition, the SEIO boasts an oil-less epoxy filler, magnetic rotor w/ceramic bearings and shaft... and a NEW and EXITING impeller design that expels water in a wide arc rather than a jet-stream. Though it is not the expensive German Tunze Stream, the SEIO gives it a run for the money when it comes to cost factor and simplicity.

I think this deals with point number 3. But as for the other two points I guess you either pay now for the Stream or you pay later in terms of extra hydro. Me I'm opting for the pay later and will be getting a 1500 later next week from OA.

In regards to the reputation of past rio pumps, I totally agree, I personally have owned 3 Rio's and two were fine one was junk.

Corey
03-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Bill check this out, I believe it would be a whole lot cheaper than OA
http://search.ebay.ca/seio-1500_W0QQfrppZ50QQmaxrecordsreturnedZ300

Willow
03-12-2005, 06:10 PM
don't get me wrong, im happy with the seio so far, i would have prefered a tunze if i had the extra money. im sure this seio is designed a lot better that the older rio pumps but they could have and should have fixed the designs on them so they wouldnt break down after only 3 months. it says a lot about the company when they let this go on for years on end.

don’t forget that price is us$$, add shipping, taxes and the brokerage fee and your looking at a lot more money.

chwkreefer
03-12-2005, 07:47 PM
Bill check this out, I believe it would be a whole lot cheaper than OA
http://search.ebay.ca/seio-1500_W0QQfrppZ50QQmaxrecordsreturnedZ300

How much are these guys charging to ship to Canada?

Corey
03-12-2005, 08:41 PM
I sent them an email yesterday asking for total price, I dont expect a reply until Mon, But for 9.00$ for any continental USA, Im sure it cant be that much more, +duty

chwkreefer
03-13-2005, 01:45 AM
I sent them an email yesterday asking for total price, I dont expect a reply until Mon, But for 9.00$ for any continental USA, Im sure it cant be that much more, +duty

Did you see the other ad on ebay for Seio 1500's? The shipping is $18 US funds to ship to Canada, plus the price of their pumps is $12 US more to boot.

Corey
03-13-2005, 02:23 AM
Yeah and they are side by side, hmm which one would I buy? :rolleyes:

chwkreefer
03-13-2005, 02:37 AM
Yeah and they are side by side, hmm which one would I buy? :rolleyes:

I'm curious to see what the shipping charge will be for the other Seio. I emailed the guy too. If I buy it, I'll let you know. . . maybe I can sell it to you. hehehehehe :lol: just kidding

Willow
03-13-2005, 05:26 AM
you do know ontop of the shipping charge canada post will charge you a $5 brokrage fee plus gst and pst?

Corey
03-13-2005, 05:54 AM
Well then bringer of bad news, why dont you buy the stream thats posted by qbeef and sell me your seio cheap. :lol:

StirCrazy
03-13-2005, 02:55 PM
3 reasons.

1. size

you want to elaborate a little more on the first two? I don't have the 1500 only the 820s but I do have two 6060 tunze.

as for number 3 waist of typing not even the same pump construction. they moved to a tried and true design with these ones.

Steve

Willow
03-13-2005, 04:17 PM
1. the 1500 is much larger than the 820, it requires 6 suction cups to hold it up.

2. seio uses 34 watts of power, tunze 6060 uses 11 watts and produces more current. doesn’t seem like a lot but it adds up.

3. while it may be a new design its the same company behind it that made the worst pumps in the industry and has done nothing to ever rectify it. 100+ bucks is a significant amount of money to spend on a powerhead, my seio works now but im not sure it will in a year since no one has owned one that long.

StirCrazy
03-13-2005, 11:06 PM
1. the 1500 is much larger than the 820, it requires 6 suction cups to hold it up..

I thought we were comparing the Seio to the Tunze, how is the 1500's size compared to the 6060?

2. seio uses 34 watts of power, tunze 6060 uses 11 watts and produces more current. doesn’t seem like a lot but it adds up..

yup but both are still low for what they do. I have always been sceptical of the tunze claim to 11 watts though

3. while it may be a new design its the same company behind it that made the worst pumps in the industry and has done nothing to ever rectify it. 100+ bucks is a significant amount of money to spend on a power head, my seio works now but I'm not sure it will in a year since no one has owned one that long.

far from the worst pumps, The Rio was a awesome pump when it came out, and the failure rate is still relatively small compared to other pumps, its just that when a older Rio failed they leaked and caused more damage.
As for design, the motor/impeller is your common mag drive set up which is more than proved so there shouldn't be any issue here, its not like they created a new drive type, they used one that has already been proved reliable.

Steve

G1GY
03-14-2005, 12:02 AM
1. the 1500 is much larger than the 820, it requires 6 suction cups to hold it up.

2. seio uses 34 watts of power, tunze 6060 uses 11 watts and produces more current. doesn’t seem like a lot but it adds up.

3. while it may be a new design its the same company behind it that made the worst pumps in the industry and has done nothing to ever rectify it. 100+ bucks is a significant amount of money to spend on a powerhead, my seio works now but im not sure it will in a year since no one has owned one that long.

The size is a valid point for sure.(If you want to spend the cash for more compact.)

As for power consumption, have you sat down and figured out just how long that 6060 will have to run to save the power needed to justify the cost?(Will it last that long?)

I also think that the Rio pumps where still far from the worst in the industry when you take into concideration just how many units where sold. If you knew how popular the Rio pumps where, you'd realise just how miniscule the failure rate was.

I'm happy with the Seio for now. :biggrin:

Corey
03-14-2005, 04:11 AM
As far as size goes, whats an inch or two when it comes to a powerhead, you are still going to lose that little area of the tank anyway. Personally, I run 4 802's in my tank, and the combined space those take up could not compare to how compact the seio is in relation, and still have nowhere near the flow I want. I think two 1500 would be sufficient and am willing to sacrifice the space for the price.

Willow
03-14-2005, 04:19 AM
wow if you run 802's your going to love the seios. like i said i like them but if i had the money i would have bought tunze. i wish they had a controller or something for the seios so you could do some random wave action.

Corey
03-14-2005, 04:26 AM
Yeah I run 4 802`s off a wave bar and would do the same with the seio`s, I just have to stop talking about it an d just spend some money.

Corey
03-14-2005, 04:51 AM
My only otherquestion would be is there just as much flow with the outer casing on with the water director, or is it better to have it off?

G1GY
03-14-2005, 05:09 AM
i wish they had a controller or something for the seios so you could do some random wave action.

The Seio's can be hooked up to a wavemaker, but won't last long. They're meant to be left on. Constant on/off will wear them out in a very short time. :smile:

G1GY
03-14-2005, 05:11 AM
Yeah I run 4 802`s off a wave bar and would do the same with the seio`s, I just have to stop talking about it an d just spend some money.

Seio's can't be used on a controller. Sorry to be the one to give you the bad news. :sad:

G1GY
03-14-2005, 05:12 AM
My only otherquestion would be is there just as much flow with the outer casing on with the water director, or is it better to have it off?

The outer casing realy restricts it. Better to just get rid of it IMO.

chwkreefer
03-18-2005, 07:17 PM
Well, I received my Seio 1500 from OA on Thursday. Pro's - good flow Con's - definitely a big honkin piece of equipment.

Hey Corey if you want to stop by some time to see it in action just let me know. (This weekend isn't good though, lot's of family stuff)

Gujustud
03-28-2005, 09:36 PM
I converted two of my 802's into the 620 seio's. VERY happy with them, less space, better flow throughout the whole tank, fish don't go flying around by the direct stream of the 802's. Plus temp dropped about 2-3 degree (moved one 802 and one maxi1200).

BCOrchidGuy
03-29-2005, 03:54 AM
Gary curious as to why you say the Seio's wont last long on a wave maker power bar?

Doug

Willow
03-29-2005, 04:15 AM
Gary curious as to why you say the Seio's wont last long on a wave maker power bar?

Doug

they aren’t designed to shut on and off alot, the impellor will get demagnitsed, they tell you in the documentation not to do it.