PDA

View Full Version : yellow tang food

jess128
03-11-2005, 10:17 PM
I got a yellow tang a few weeks ago and have been letting it just feed on all of my algae. Well the algae's pretty much cleared up and it's time for me to get this guy some actual food. Any ideas?

Richer
03-11-2005, 10:19 PM
Unseasoned nori sheets should do quite nicely. I'd recommend rubber banding it to a piece of pvc pipe and hanging it in your tank. The rubber band should prevent the sheet from breaking up too quickly, so it gives your tang something to nip at during the day.

-Rich

EmilyB
03-11-2005, 10:19 PM
Oh my, yes ! Nori daily strapped on a clip of some kind because tangs like to graze. Some good spirulina flake, Formula 2 is also well taken, and some frozen mysis as well.

marie
03-11-2005, 10:20 PM
mysis shrimp, nori (sushi wrap), spirolina flake. They appreciate a varied diet :biggrin:

muck
03-11-2005, 10:21 PM
Unseasoned nori sheets should do quite nicely. I'd recommend rubber banding it to a piece of pvc pipe and hanging it in your tank. The rubber band should prevent the sheet from breaking up too quickly, so it gives your tang something to nip at during the day.

-Rich
I don't know about the elastic Rich... you seen that other thread. :rolleyes:

Richer
03-11-2005, 10:22 PM
I don't know about the elastic Rich... you seen that other thread. :rolleyes:

Well.... if that ever does happen, I'm sure Jess will take the effort the catch her tang. :rolleyes:

-Rich

rusty
03-11-2005, 10:33 PM
The wife and I with some friends were in Banff last weekend and we saw a tank that they were feeding the fish ( including a couple tangs ) fresh vegatables,broccolli, lettuce. Is that good for the fish?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-12-2005, 12:33 AM
Not. Regular veg is mostly water & may not have the nutrients your tang requires. Nori is made of porphyra (sp?) seaweed & is a concentrated food. So nutrient levels aside, terrestrial plant foods would mess up your water more because they eat more & poop more.

When they sell top quality dog foods, one of the main selling points is that with really good foods, you'll have very small poops (again with the scientific terminology), whereas with the cheap brands, you'll have much more waste to clean up. It would be similar with feeding fish. High quality, high nutritional value feeds = use less = less poop :biggrin:

Just make sure you buy & feed the unseasoned sushi sheets.

Anthony

Skimmerking
03-12-2005, 03:06 AM
I ' m with the NORI Sheets i used to wrap some brine and mysis in the nori and freeze it and in the morning put it in the tank .the tangs loved it in the 280 gal tank

mike

clownchick22
03-14-2005, 11:40 PM
I've ordered a Yellow and hopefully recieving it tomorrow.... so Nori is all it will eat?... Mysis shrimp flakes?...

Coldwater
03-15-2005, 12:13 AM
When mine was alive it ate flakes foods, nori, blood worms and mysis. It ate almost everything. :frown:

Matt

Willow
03-15-2005, 01:10 AM
they should eat just about anything.

bulletsworld
03-15-2005, 05:45 AM
My yellow tang eats, Mysis, brine shrimp, bloodworms, krill, Cylopeeze, Nori Green or red, mixed seafood blend, (clam, scallop, etc) So really just about anything. Only think I haven't tried is flakes though.

Mostly happy with Mysis, brine & Nori.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-15-2005, 07:53 AM
Most healthy YTs are born pigs. Variety is the key so give them different stuff each day or each meal & you'll be sure to give them a healthy diet. Brine shrimp can be used but not as a major component of their diet. Nori and mysis are much more suitable. If you saw my tangs, they're so fat that two would make a good meal (joking of course.... oh no, it's the tang police). I have just upped their ration to 1 whole sheet of nori a day, but there are several hungry veggie lovers in that tank. A small piece should do your single YT no problem. Gives them something to snack on throughout the day.

Anthony

Doug
03-15-2005, 02:15 PM
We use to feed lots of the Romaine lettuce and such, way back in the 70,s and 80,s. :lol: I think its mostly a filler but not very nutritious. However its better than not feeding any leafy greens to tangs.

Mine dont seem to like green nori much. Perhaps its the wrong kind. They do like Julian Sprung,s Sea veggies. Most colours. Their staple and favorite is still spirolina flakes. Like others they also eat most of the frozen foods I feed the others.

danny zubot
03-15-2005, 02:25 PM
muck wrote:

I don't know about the elastic Rich... you seen that other thread.

Well.... if that ever does happen, I'm sure Jess will take the effort the catch her tang.

Care to fill us in?

BTW, good post, good info.

muck
03-15-2005, 02:56 PM
muck wrote:

I don't know about the elastic Rich... you seen that other thread.

Well.... if that ever does happen, I'm sure Jess will take the effort the catch her tang.

Care to fill us in?

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14879&highlight=elastic+tang

Willow
03-15-2005, 03:24 PM
ahh jezz not this again.

Snappy
03-15-2005, 09:32 PM
My yellow tang eats whatever I happen to be using at any given feeding. Brine shrimp, mysis, flakes, pellets, seaweed sheets, algae, cyclopeze, silversides, etc.
It reminds me of my son-in-law, he'll eat anything.
A good variety is recommended.