PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! My Seahorse swallowed a bristle worm!!!!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-11-2005, 05:53 PM
:eek: Woke up to my male seahorse lying down & in distress. :cry: :cry: :cry: When I gently pulled him out of the cave he was in, I looked inside his tube mouth & it looks like bristle worm bristles in there. I strongly suspect he inhaled a little bristle worm while eating mysis. I hate friggin bristle worms :evil: :mad: :evil: Now he's lying on his side & I don't see the worm so I can't try to pull it out. I've had him for over 1.5 years and so he must be over 2 years old already, but I don't think it's old age.

I'm so mad that at this point, if my favourite seahorse dies, I'm going to pull everything out of that tank, find every b.worm I can & literally nuke em all :mad: :mad: :mad:

Read about the anti-worming treatment on a recent post but not sure if the cure will kill the patient. Other than making him comfortable, any suggestions????

Sorry for the ranting,

Anthony (unhappy Seahorse Fanatic) :cry:

cc_bruno
03-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Hey Anthony,

I feel for you... I have some HUGE bristle worms, and having read that some may take swipes at seahorses, I've been tempted to just take them out in a massive Panacur nuke, (unfortunately, you will lose your other worms as well, but hey, they'll come back :rolleyes: ). It won't harm the seahorse, (Panacur), but will take out your hydroids and worms. Gaging by the rapid success that Dyereefer has had, ( I haven't dosed my tank yet), I'd say, you could be a day away from feeling happy again.... although, I'm not sure if the seahorse will last that long :sad: . The only part that concerns me is, even if you kill the worm, while in the seahorse, there is no guarantee that the seahorse will be fine... but, do nothing, and there is a good chance he won't be. Not a good situation to be in, that's for sure. Depending on where you go, Panacur can be really cheap, (the vet clinic I went to gave me about 10 mg for free, but, I did need a prescription for it, though).

Let me know if you go that route and how it turns out, (although, I'm quite surprised he didn't just blow bristle worm chunks out the back of his head, like they do when they take in more than just their food). Good luck.

Robert

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-11-2005, 06:10 PM
Robert,

Do you have some Panacur right now? If so, can I come grab it? Don't know how long it would take to get a prescription or can I buy some over the counter?

Anthony

cc_bruno
03-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Anthony,

Yup, I've got some now, as I have some hydroids that are just begging to be nuked :biggrin: , but, you sound like you are more in need of it than I am at the moment, so, you are welcome to some. You can't get it over the counter, so, you will need to get a prescription for it, but, most vets are pretty good about it, (and watch their face go all weird when you tell them it's for a seahorse.... they'll look at you like you're on drugs :rolleyes: ). I won't be home until after 7 PM tonight, and live in Poco. Let me know either way, (I'll see if I can get another prescription as well, as I'm going right by the place that I got it the first time).

Robert

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-11-2005, 06:23 PM
Thanks. I'll see if I can call a vet & get a prescription today.
Either way, appreciate your willingness to help :biggrin:

Anthony

danny zubot
03-11-2005, 06:31 PM
and watch their face go all weird when you tell them it's for a seahorse....

Just tell them its for a horse. Then they'll ask what kind. Wish I could be there to see thier faces. Good luck, I'm curious to see if your seahorse gets better.

BTW, 1000 posts :biggrin:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-11-2005, 06:36 PM
No luck. Called several, & their response is, "Sorry, no, our doctors do not deal with exotics...." Bruno I'll pm you my phone number & can you call me so we can talk about this?

Anthony

Beverly
03-11-2005, 08:06 PM
Had one of my SHs snick a small BW that was in the feeding station. The SH promptly spit it out, but was in physical shock for about a half hour. I thought it was a goner. But come next feeding time, it fed again and was well afterward.

I never nuked my tank, but started picking out BWs whenever they appeared anywhere near the feeding station. Took out quite a few with a pair of tweezers. Never had another BW accident afterward.

Hope you SH gets better.

marie
03-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Anthony, if you have no luck finding a source down there, I know the vet up here real well, there won't be any problems getting some :biggrin:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Thanks Marie & Bill. We'll see what happens. Bev, hopefully mine will recover like yours did.

Anthony

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-12-2005, 05:00 AM
Things are looking up. (MAYBE) Hope it was just b.worm indigestion.