PDA

View Full Version : Naso has a white blotch

Mikey B
03-11-2005, 01:35 PM
My Naso Tang has a small white blotch on its fin. It is about 3 mm in diameter and looks like a clump of dry salt.

Would any of you know what it is?

Thank you

Mike

Invigor
03-11-2005, 03:04 PM
my friend had a copperband butterfly with that on it...I'm not sure what ever happened to the "growth" but the butterfly eventually parished, I'm not sure what was the cause :| his name is "marcus k" on here if you want to PM him

AJ_77
03-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Read through these, Mikey - probably find something similar:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/Tangdisease.htm

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Could it be this?

Viruses:

Viral infections are caused by particles that by some definitions are non-living. Virus organisms are only able to metabolically function and reproduce as parasites; using the cellular machinery of their hosts.

Lymphocystis Lymphocystis is a viral disease that looks like white to grayish cauliflower-like clumps, typically at the base of fish fins. It's origins, "cures" and spontaneous remission are somewhat mysterious. The condition may just "show up" even in meticulously clean systems.

from wetwebmedia.

Good luck. Going through my own struggles with my male seahorse this am.

Anthony

Beverly
03-11-2005, 08:15 PM
If it's Lymphocystis, I had it on my pearlscale butterfly, one both pec fins. Called the lfs that sold it to me and they looked it up in their disease book. After all the reading, the guy told me to turn up the temp of the tank.

Also did some online research on Lymphocystis was mostly about wild fish stocks. During the heat of summer, the sites said, Lymphocystis will often die. So I turned up the heat in my tank from 78F to 82-83F. Within three weeks no more bumps in the fins. Three weeks after that, after the temp went back down to 78F, still no lumps.

HTH.

Snappy
03-11-2005, 11:37 PM
I had the same thing happen on a royal gramma and it went away with a couple of extra water changes.