PDA

View Full Version : Introducing MH Lighting

PeterW
03-11-2005, 08:19 AM
I am adding two 175watt MH into my 72gallon tank. I am planning to keep my 260 watt PC light in the front and the MH in the back of the tank.

What is a good way to introduce the MH into the tank without shocking the fish and coral? Anyone with experience?

I have a glass cover for my tank and was planning to keep it there to prevent salt water from getting on the MH. Is this a good idea or do people not like cover when they have MH lighting?

Thanks.

Peter

Nemo
03-11-2005, 08:32 AM
Well what was recomended to me and I think it worked well is the following:
first day for about 3 hours
and add about 1 hour per day after that

Jaws
03-11-2005, 08:36 AM
Personally, I'd remove the glass. As long as you clean the MH's with rubbing alcohol every three months or so, they'll be fine.

Samw
03-11-2005, 08:42 AM
Peter, so much for your budget. Didn't take too long. :smile: If you keep a lid on your main tank, make sure you keep your sump open and have a fan blow across it for evaporative cooling. My tank already hits 27-28C during the winter time with an open top and a fan blowing across the top.

PeterW
03-11-2005, 08:56 AM
Thanks all for your advice, everyone. So far leaning to having an open top.

I like the idea of gradually introducing the light. Sounds like a good idea. Thanks for sharing the details.

No, didn't take me long to get MH. Budget? What budget? :biggrin: Bought it used so that helped.

I think another Canreefer said it best " .. my next hobby will include ripping up hundred dollar bills" LOL

Peter

Chin_Lee
03-11-2005, 03:14 PM
I keep glass over my tank. I clean it evey month or so and my corals are doing fine.
I decided to do this after I saw those Hamilton Tech/PFO MH hood setups also put glass in their fixture. Stircrazy also did some tests and showed the glass is fine as long as they are clean.
clee

danny zubot
03-11-2005, 04:10 PM
I have no choice but to have glass on mine, its what my MH and PCs sit on. I have to clean it monthly as well and it does add a bit of heat. Given the option I'd remove it for that purpose. My next tank will have an open top where my lights are hung with no glass top.

vanreefer
03-11-2005, 05:07 PM
I am adding two 175watt MH into my 72gallon tank. I am planning to keep my 260 watt PC light in the front and the MH in the back of the tank.

What is a good way to introduce the MH into the tank without shocking the fish and coral? Anyone with experience?
Thanks.
Peter

What I did when going from pc's to 2 250 MH is got some screendoor material from home deopt, I put three layers of it ontop of the glass top and took off a layer every five days I had no problems :cool: ...everything adjusted beautifully. I will note that my lights are 12" above my tank, I probably wouldn't do that if they were sitting on the glass lid :eek:

KJust my change from a nickle...
Dano