PDA

View Full Version : J&L Live Rock?

Kabong
03-11-2005, 04:23 AM
Is J&L's live rock up to par with what they show on there web page?

Premium Fiji
http://www.jlaquatics.com/images/liverock/rock2-l.jpg

Tonga Deepwater
http://www.jlaquatics.com/images/liverock/vavau5-l.jpg

Vanuatu
http://www.jlaquatics.com/images/liverock/vanuatu/vanuatu2.jpg

LostMind
03-11-2005, 05:44 AM
I found the fiji stuff to be too small pieces for my liking.

the tonga deepwater rock was awesome and full of life. I've got about 300lbs of it...

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-11-2005, 07:51 AM
I've picked up 3 large pieces (9-16lbs each) that were spectacular & covered with life, including free polyps :biggrin: Some of my nicest rock from a LFS for sure. However, like with many things, you have to go in and do your own cherry picking to get what you want.

JME

Anthony

digitalsteve
03-11-2005, 10:20 AM
is there rock cured or uncured?

LostMind
03-11-2005, 03:26 PM
See the foam container in the pic? That's how it arrives at the shop. I've always ordered mine so I can go in and just grab a couple boxes... but I've also always ordered quite a bit of rock.

They do have a storage/curing tank setup but there is rarely much rock in it.

Willow
03-11-2005, 04:08 PM
all the rock at j&l is uncured and usually sold within a week of it arriving. they *will not* cure rock for you at all. believe me i tried, i even offered to pay them to cure it for me. maybe in the past they cured stuff for people but not now.

the few times i had a look thru the bin they had some very nice rock. i doubt i would ever buy the figi after buying the last batch of jakarta. it seems to have way more life and very interesting shapes, the figi is looking more and more like baseballs and boulders these days.

whatever
04-07-2005, 09:43 AM
It's best to try to arrange to be there when it arrives (ie, discreetly get the date and time, and then just happen to show up when shipment arrives) for the best choices. But they may not like you hanging over them though, and can be grumpy.

cpenner
04-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Check out Ocean Aquatics as well...

I bought 65lbs Jakarta from them. It was very nice.

shadowboy
04-07-2005, 07:54 PM
When you look in J&l's holding tanks for their rock it looks like crap, but once you get it home and under some light its amazing the difference. They really need some light on those tanks so people can see what life an colors the rocks are.

whatever
04-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Ocean Aquatics is definately worth checking out.

Funky_Fish14
04-08-2005, 01:06 AM
If I were to order some rock from them.....a couple types, should I expect to be happy with what I received? Thanks.

Chris

cpenner
04-09-2005, 06:03 AM
From Ocean Aquatics or J&L?

Funky_Fish14
04-09-2005, 07:25 AM
Either. I guess I should have been more specific. Thanks.

Chris

Noj
04-09-2005, 07:45 AM
Ocean Aquatics - I picked up about 30 lbs of Fiji from them a few weeks back. Fully cured and healthy. I was at JL earlier that day and wasn't overly impressed with the rock they had on hand, but then again it was poorly lit.

I will definately be going back to OA, customer service is incredible.

cpenner
04-09-2005, 04:24 PM
If you would like, I can send you some pictures of Jakarta rock I just picked up yesterday from Ocean Aquatics. I was really impressed with it, and as previously mentioned, amazing customer service.

I have a few of the pics in the "pictures" forum.

Cheers,

Chad

fishface
04-09-2005, 06:12 PM
From Ocean Aquatics or J&L?

i was told by the guys at OA that they supply live rock to j&l so it's really the same stuff all around.

edit: i think i actually misunderstood them, they sometimes purchase from the same supplier as J&L. sorry for any misunderstanding. :redface:

reefer_11
04-09-2005, 06:17 PM
:lol:

Now that is funnnny...

Something makes me think it wasn't Wendell saying this.. :lol:

Mike Olson
04-14-2005, 03:43 AM
I bought 65 lbs of uncured fiji from JL about 6 months ago. Some nice big pieces. After 6 mos. I have tons of featherdusters on it, sand polyps, and now 90 percent purple coraline. I also picked up 30 lbs of vanuatu LR for a little more shape.

Kabong
04-14-2005, 08:36 PM
Im over on Van Isle so this will be a day trip thing.
Is ocean aquatics worth the detour?
If i judged soley by there website i whouldnt bother, but is the store more impressive?

rickjames
04-14-2005, 08:52 PM
OA is definitely worth a look. It isn't a detour if you take the swartz bay ferry, it is like 15 minutes from the boat at tsawassen. Really handy for picking up frags on the way home!

Noj
04-15-2005, 03:42 AM
Im over on Van Isle so this will be a day trip thing.
Is ocean aquatics worth the detour?
If i judged soley by there website i whouldnt bother, but is the store more impressive?

About a month ago I did a bit of a venture around Vancouver. Last stop was OA, most definately worth the stop. I got 30lbs off Wendell fully cured. For the $5.99 or so its definately worth it. I haven't found anything on the Island worth a serious look, especially at $10/lb in Victoria.

Plus, its close to the ferry so its not out of the way. (from Tsawassen to either Swartz Bay or Duke Point)

untamed
04-17-2005, 12:29 AM
From a bio-diversity point of view, I've yet to see any rock that compares to LR.com. It just takes too long to get the rock from Fiji to here...too much stuff dies on the way.

I want it to go from ocean to my tank instantly...and delay is compromise.

If all one wants is pretty, pink rock...that's an entirely different expectation.

Kabong
04-17-2005, 01:59 AM
From a bio-diversity point of view, I've yet to see any rock that compares to LR.com.

If your going to go to the hassle of getting it shipped from the US, The only way to go is Tampa Bay Saltwater (http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com)
You could spend hours reading the praises of these guys over at reefcentral.com

untamed
04-18-2005, 06:09 AM
If your going to go to the hassle of getting it shipped from the US, The only way to go is Tampa Bay Saltwater

I haven't seen their rock personally...but based on their website it is likely to be as good as LR.com. (from a biodiversity point of view)

muck
04-18-2005, 06:16 AM
If your going to go to the hassle of getting it shipped from the US, The only way to go is Tampa Bay Saltwater

I haven't seen their rock personally...but based on their website it is likely to be as good as LR.com. (from a biodiversity point of view)
Not sure what "Lasselle-Ramsay" has to do with live rock.
I can't find it on their website.. :mrgreen:

Kabong
04-18-2005, 08:28 AM
LR.com = liverocks.com

Tonkastoy
06-27-2005, 06:28 AM
Well I know for myself I have fallen in love with all the live rock and everything else that Hidden Reef has to offer.They always have great prices(on livestock,TANKS,and of course all the fishes :mrgreen: ),courteous and informative staff, and of course always willing to help.Their live rock has been the Jakarta and extremely nice at that when you can get your hands on a shipment :razz: (like everywhere else ..its so nice and the price is right its hard to keep it in the store :smile: )

Willow
06-27-2005, 07:17 AM
Well I know for myself I have fallen in love with all the live rock and everything else that Hidden Reef has to offer.They always have great prices(on livestock,TANKS,and of course all the fishes :mrgreen: ),courteous and informative staff, and of course always willing to help.

your kidding right? ive been there a few times, impressive setup and sometimes they have some neato stock but their prices are pretty high.

Tonkastoy
06-28-2005, 04:05 AM
Well maybe on somethings their prices are a bit higher than others but thats also due to the fact that they arent a big superstore with the bulk buying power others have. I like to stick with the little guy ....they seem to be more attentative and willing to stand behind what they sell. Id prefer to pay a little more just for the attention to detail i know i will recieve for the duration of my tank should i need any help. Maybe i get in there a little more than you so i see the big differences....Like the 90G seastar they have with a cherry stand and canopy, plumbed with the overflows for 1100 bucks, or the other one (90G)with a black stand and canopy for 899 (dont qoute me though im not sure on that one). I also am taking into account all the other livestock and the prices of them. In the end i guess we are all entitled to our opinion and this just happens to be mine that Hidden Reef is the best in my books for service,quality, and assortment of goods. :biggrin:

muck
06-28-2005, 05:06 AM
....they seem to be more attentative
Yeah no kidding. I was completely blown away when Mike recognized me from the last time I was in there. (2 years previous and the only other time I have been there :eek: )

afreshoutlook
06-30-2005, 04:55 AM
Where is Ocean Aquatics located ?

Dwight

Willow
06-30-2005, 05:59 AM
they are in the ladner industrial park.

Unit 5 7550 76th st Delta, BC V4G 1K6
604-940-1988

you should probably call ahead they keep some wacky hours.